Hold A Sin Against Me (Pet Shop Boys vs Britney Spears)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

Hold A Sin Against Me (Pet Shop Boys vs Britney Spears)

Post Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:25 am

satis5d | Hold A Sin Against Me
(Pet Shop Boys vs. Britney Spears vs. Eurythmics vs. Bon Jovi)

I have complete control over this mix with well over 30 stems in play. This is my most aggressive mastering project to date, so please let me know where I've not gotten it just right.

Pet Shop Boys - It's A Sin (instrumental stems)
Britney Spears - Hold It Against Me (lead vocals, background vocals, ad libs)
Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams Are Made of These (acapella)
Bon Jovi - You Give Love A Bad Name (acapella)

Version 1

No Flash Installed

Version 2

No Flash Installed

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/u4mxy9k1gs1nu3x/satis5d%20-%20Hold%20A%20Sin%20Against%20Me_2.mp3?dl=1
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Re: Hold A Sin Against Me (Pet Shop Boys vs Britney Spears)

Post Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:26 pm

I like the idea, but I'm having a hard time with the instrumental quality, it sounds like it was produced with heavy compression :1undecided: It also sounds very narrow compared to the other sources.
Hopefully, you'll find a way to improve it :1wink:

Post Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:45 am

satis5d wrote:I have complete control over this mix with well over 30 stems in play. This is my most aggressive mastering project to date, so please let me know where I've not gotten it just right.
Very ambitious! I think you’re off to a good start here, but I know this one will take some time to perfect.

As SMASH mentioned, the instrumental needs some tweaking. Have you tried comparing it to the original track? To me it just sounds oversaturated in the middle, hence the lack of width. There’s a synth you’ve got in the middle that sounds like it is off to the left a bit on the original, for instance, and the snare drums noticeably lack the punch of the original.

If you have control over Britney’s vocal harmonies, there are a few places where removing them or re-pitching them might be a good idea…”It’s A Sin” has some pretty unusual chords. (“show me how you work it out” starting at 2:41 is rough, for instance. And the backing vocals over “noooow” at 1:46 might be stronger up a semitone...)

The phrasing of the vocals from 3:10 to 3:31 seem to be a few beats behind.

Bon Jovi sounds like he’s in another room…Seems too loud, too trebly, and too dry maybe.

Overall, great start to a very ambitious project! Looking forward to hearing it progress.

Post Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:14 pm

I like where this is headed. Plenty of comments already so I just want to encourage you to keep going.

Bon Jovi sounds like he’s in another room…Seems too loud, too trebly, and too dry maybe.

He's definitely "somewhere else". Britanny sounds like there's some stereo delay, but not that many taps, and some wide vocal doubling / harmonies. Bon Jovi started out very narrow with 80s style verb which generates many smaller wider echos ("nowhere to run"). Then Bon Jovi goes very wide with harmonies ("Shot to ..."). My guess would be to get Bon Jovi in the center everywhere and then add back in stereo delays to match Brittany, who seems to be at home in the mix.

Post Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:47 pm

Version 2 is up. I'm sure it won't be the last version.

1. All 47 stems :1shocked: were analyzed for stereo width issues and adjusted.
2. The snares were boosted and EQ'd
3. The timing of Britney's vocals at 3:30-ish were corrected
4. The pitch of the word "nooooow" at 1:46 was corrected
5. Britney's overall volume was reduced
6. Bon Jovi's vocals were adjusted for volume, EQ and reverb

I'm much happier with the mix overall, but I'm not at all impressed with the snares. I can't seem to get them anywhere close to the original snares (which you can hear from around 3:50 and beyond) but I'm sure there are still other issues as well. :1rolleyes:
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Post Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:00 pm

Hey Bon Jovi sounds better. It's a matter of taste, but imho I'd go with less stereo width for him.

satis5d wrote:I can't seem to get them anywhere close to the original snares (which you can hear from around 3:50 and beyond)

If I compare the snare at 1:00 with the snare at 4:00: the ones at 4:00 sound like they have (gated?) drum room reverb on them, whereas the ones at 1:00 sound drier. Also for the overall tone, maybe you can EQ matching because the ones at 1:00 sound like they have more high frequencies.

However, I like the snare at 1:00 as is. So if you can just manage to use that everywhere, that'd work for me.

Post Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:06 pm

Holy crap this is a cool mashup.

Artistically this is awesome.

I do share the same (kind of) feedback as the others; the instrumental doesn't quite jell with the vocals dynamically. I'd suggest trying to EQ some of the instrumental or vocals as I think there's too much in the mids as a whole so it sounds a bit muddy as a result. If you listen to the original track you'll hear how the vocals work seamlessly with the instrumental but the vocal tracks in this mash have frequencies which are clashing. It's hard to say exactly what needs done, would just be a case of playing around to get it right for me. You could try use spectrum analyser on the vocals of the original track and try get your new vocals to match that though that might work?

Hope that makes any sense :1laugh:

Either way congrats on coming up with this really cool mash :1grin:

Post Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:49 pm

DJ Firth wrote:the instrumental doesn't quite jell with the vocals dynamically

I agree.

The instrumental in version 2 sounds a bit better, but still, I'm also feeling the distance between the vocals and mental, especially Bon Jovi with his heavy reverb compared to Miss Spears :1undecided:

The direction is good, eventually, your effort might pay off :1wink:

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>