(!) "Take A Bow To Kenny Rogers" (Rihanna / K. Rogers)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
2 Star User

(!) "Take A Bow To Kenny Rogers" (Rihanna / K. Rogers)

Post Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:20 am

R.I.P. Kenny Rogers.
DJ Schmolli - Take A Bow To Kenny Rogers
Rihanna - Take A Bow
Kenny Rogers - The Gambler

No Flash Installed

DL

phpBB [media]

Re: SCHMOLLI: "Take A Bow To Kenny Rogers" (Rihanna/K. Roger

Post Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:31 pm

What amazes me about the mashup "greats" is how they manage to make garbage sound good. I am very familiar with the acapella for the Gambler, and it starts out so poorly with the words "On a warm..." Yet on this mashup, it sounds great. How do you do this?

Recommend.

self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

2 Star User

Re: SCHMOLLI: "Take A Bow To Kenny Rogers" (Rihanna/K. Roger

Post Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:22 am

satis5d wrote:What amazes me about the mashup "greats" is how they manage to make garbage sound good. I am very familiar with the acapella for the Gambler, and it starts out so poorly with the words "On a warm..." Yet on this mashup, it sounds great. How do you do this?

You are right. The "Gambler" acapella has a lot of headphone bleed and lots of ugly reverb on it. It was quite a challange to get it clean and usable especially with a backing track like Rihanna's. You may get away with all the noise if you slap it on a rock/metal backing track but not if you slap it on a piano ballad.
Anyway, did some little EQing and manual gain staging as well as compression to even it out better since there were some phrases sung rather quiet and others pretty intense. I cut off every reverb tail and even breaths in between the vocal lines. The replaced the missing reverb with my own reverb but I didn't just put it on the track but sidechained it with a compressor so the reverb only opens when the vocal line ends due to the previous cutoff. So I manage to only put on a reverb tail and not make the actual acapella sound like drowning in reverb.
Also I have used the backing vocals in the choruses. These were not available seperately but had some piano and other instruments on the track. I got rid of most of this by running them through Phonicmind. Then I applied the same procedure as with the lead vocals.

So as you see there's way more work on this as you may think as it's "just" an a+b mashup. But I know, I make this all sound easy :1wink:

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>