(!)CVS - Another Payphone Bites The Dust (Maroon 5+WK+Queen)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
2 Star User

(!)CVS - Another Payphone Bites The Dust (Maroon 5+WK+Queen)

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:40 am

sources:
Maroon 5 + Wiz Khalifa - Payphone (acapella) B major
Queen - Another One Bites The Dust (backing track) E minor (stereo widened above 150 Hz)

version 3:
Thanks Satis5d for your review on v2.
I had incidentally knocked the volume automation 0.3 dB down, I corrected that and gave the vocal parts [1:58-2:14] and [2:55-3:08] (the raps more or less), a 1,1 dB boost each.

No Flash Installed

download-version-3

==============================
older versions below, to compare if you want to
version 2:
Thanks Satis5d for your review on v1, I made some corrections.
The timing issue around 2:25 was an 'easy' fix.
On the key it was difficult. In my original pella there was a strange sounding spot exactly where you mentioned it and also a few seconds later. So I took an old SgtMash tip and replaced the part around 3:35 with another part of the vocal (the first instance of it, about 1:10 - 1:43]. To be extra sure, because the Queen guitar was sounding strange at that same 3:35 spot :1huh: , I found another extension point for the mental. To make the segue less sudden, I overdubbed some (but not all) of the 'incoming' claps around there. The rap is now more or less on the "clapping break".

No Flash Installed

download-version-2

version 1:
Pitched Maroon down 4 semitones with Elastique Pitch 2 from it's relative minor F# minor to mentalkey, that is less repetitive than Last Night a DJ.
About 0:32 - 0:36 is a mental repeat
About 3:22 - 3:39 is a mental repeat
Both extensions to make the vocal fit, and a number of milli-corrections in the vocal.

No Flash Installed

download-version-1
Last edited by CVS on Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Re: CVS - Another Payphone Bites The Dust (Maroon 5+WK+Queen

Post Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:08 pm

Listened to this a few times... I really want this one to work.

First of all, I'm very impressed with Elastique Pitch 2. WOW! Four semitones never sounded that good for me!

The bad news is that there are a couple of spots where things go OOK, especially around 3:35.
The timing of the vocals also seem to be off a bit at around 2:25.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

2 Star User

Post Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:33 am

Thanks Satis5d for your review. My pella was 'keywonky' at 3:35 (in version 1) and also a couple of seconds later (also at the end of a line).
Listening solo, track per track (NEVER do this children, always monitor 'in context' hahaha :1wink: ), I found that the second part of Brian May's guitar chord sounded 'off' as well.
Together: not beautiful. (see: Fern Kinney)

So I changed the mental by using another extension point and another part of the mental around 3:35 and overdubbed the vocal part with the same line, sung about 1:10 - 1:42 in version 1. Crossfade to the original ending.

New version 2 is in OP.

Post Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:59 am

Version 2 is much better. Good job.
I did find the acapella a bit hard to hear in the early 2:00 area and again starting around 2:55. Just boost the volume in those sections a bit and it will be fine. I know you'll make these changes, so I will give my recommend in advance. :1wink:

self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

2 Star User

Re: (!)CVS - Another Payphone Bites The Dust (Maroon 5+WK+Qu

Post Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:26 pm

Thanks Satis5d, I pulled up the vocal in the places you mentioned, new version in O.P.

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>