[FP]DJSires-I Don’t Want to Start Now (Dua Lipa x Aerosmith)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

[FP]DJSires-I Don’t Want to Start Now (Dua Lipa x Aerosmith)

Post Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:04 pm

DJ Sires - I Don’t Want to Start Now (Dua Lipa vs Aerosmith)

Dua Lipa - Don’t Start Now (Instrumental)
Aerosmith - I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing (Acapella)

Hey Mashstix! This is my first posting with you all. I’ve made a few mashups in the past but finally got the courage to post up here. It's been a few years since I started downloading from Mashstix and have always respected this community a ton. I'm excited to finally get more involved!

I probably would have picked some different songs for my first upload but it's time to finally post something. I got the inspiration from some recent requests and looked everywhere for a good I Don't Want to Miss a Thing mashup. There wasn't one that I liked a lot so I ended up making one last week. It’s just an A + B but I thought it came out OK. Let me know what you all think. Seriously, any feedback given is something I can use to get better.

Version 1

No Flash Installed

Download V1
https://hearthis.at/djbriansires/dj-sires-dua-lips-vs-aerosmith-i-dont-want-to-start-now/download/

Version 2

No Flash Installed

Download V2
https://hearthis.at/djbriansires/dj-sires-dua-lips-vs-aerosmith-i-dont-want-to-start-now-v2/download/

Version 3

No Flash Installed

Download V3
https://hearthis.at/djbriansires/dj-sires-dua-lips-vs-aerosmith-i-dont-want-to-start-now-v3/download/
Last edited by DJSires on Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

2 Star User

Re: DJ Sires - I Don’t Want to Start Now (Dua Lipa vs Aerosm

Post Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:23 pm

Steven Tyler fits perfectly with this instrumental, Sounds like a original, You are off to a great start!

1 star User

Post Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:41 pm

TheRayMan wrote:Steven Tyler fits perfectly with this instrumental, Sounds like a original, You are off to a great start!

Awesome! Thanks! :1grin:

Post Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:52 pm

First of all, hi and welcome to Mashstix.
Good decision to come here. It also took me a while back then to get the courage to post my first track here. But the feedback of this community helped me a lot to increase my production techniques. And every time I see someone new posting, it reminds me of this time.

Now to your mashup. I have mixed feelings about this.
Overall the idea seems to work (even I don't know the instrumental).
But...

Through some parts (mainly the verses) the vocal sounds very separated from the instrumental.
You might want to try playing with some sublte effects there. Especially the first verse when the instrumental is still very soft, the vocal doesn't blend in too well, but that's nothing impossible.

In addition, at some parts I expected you to wait with the vocal and give it a short break before bringing it back in again, as the instrumental is having some build ups and doesn't fit with the overall arrangement of the vocal.

Especially the part at 0:32 "i could stay lost in this moment" i think you should have maybe looped the instrumental part a bit longer before this build up part and maybe play the piano buildup part alone without vocal and then start again at 0:48.
But that might be personal taste. HCD and Sherlock Poirot are the pro's here when it comes to perfect arrangements. Maybe they have an idea on how to improve the overall arrangement.

The part from 2:14 to 2:25 is very nice, but at 2:25 i think the part "cause even when I dream of you" is coming too early and should have a short break. Maybe try to loop the instrumental chorus there for 4 bars before bringing in the vocal again?

Difficult to judge this without knowing the original song. Overall I really like the idea, especially because I love that Aerosmith song. Armageddon was an awesome movie, wasn't it?

Well, I'll let my ears rest a bit and listen to it again tomorrow.
There's definitely potential in this and you seem to know what you're doing.
So I hope you don't get me wrong and understand my concerns.

Anyways, keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to listening to it again.

Cheers
Chris aka. DJ Axcess

1 star User

Post Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:33 pm

This is some great feedback. Thanks DJ Axcess!

I honestly didn't change the arrangement of the instrumental much and mainly just followed Dua Lipa's flow. The arrangement could use some work and your points on that help a ton. I did try to create some space in this version but the instrumental has a pretty long chord progression. If I add a measure or two then it doesn't sound right without all 16 or 32 bars. I'll look for something else I can use to make that extra time interesting without it sounding cramped or too spaced out.

Adding some subtle effect to blend the vocals is very doable. I'll work on that for sure.

Thanks for the 2:25 catch! Those definitely sound like they come in a little early. I'll push them to match better with the instrumental's chords.

That Dua Lipa track is worth a listen. It's pretty new but people have been requesting it from me left and right. I was thinking it would make a great dance hit out of a good slow song. That combined with some Armageddon inspiration gave me this mashup. My terrible photo shopping of the album art brought back those scenes with that all star cast. Great movie. I had to go watch it after!

I'm very appreciative of your input and you gave me much to think about. Stay tuned for a version 2!

-DJ Sires

1 star User

Post Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:41 pm

This mash is fire! Thank god someone finally freshened up that Aerosmith track!!! :1grin:
Facebook: [url]facebook.com/thebiggh[/url]

Enjoy!

1 star User

Post Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:43 am

Thanks DJ Bigg H!

Just posted version 2 based on DJ Axcess's feedback. I added some subtle effects on the Aerosmith vocals and created some space. I also tried to add a little more of the original vocals and played with the arrangement. I'm still tinkering with it but I think this is an improvement from V1. Any thoughts are welcome!

Version 2

No Flash Installed

Post Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:51 pm

Now we're talking!

I love how you used the delay to fill those parts. Perfect work!

I still think the Aerosmith vocal could use a very soft reverb to better blend in,
as the Dua Lipa vocal has a strong reverb on it, but that's probably just personal taste.

Anyways, to my taste this is WAY better than before. GREAT!

Have yourself a RECOMMEND

2 Star User

Re: (!)DJ Sires-I Don’t Want to Start Now (Dua Lipa x Aerosm

Post Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:37 pm

I like the romance in the guy not wanting to miss a thing (from her) when she tells him it is gonna happen.
I understand his volume, but on my phone it is a bit too loud to my taste. I have had good results with volume automation on a vocal track like this, to bring it up very subtly over a number of measures. Your track volume can then stay the same, it is just a long fade in.
I like the delays on his vocal. Synced delays like that always help me to check if the dry vocal is 'in the pocket', because the repeats whave to be as well. Sometimes I think he is early (milliseconds) compared to a more relaxed Dua. But it can be his volume or his tone of voice.

As an artistic remark the silence at about 0:08 surprised me (like: the download is broken ?), maybe add the full 4 times repeat that you use everywhere on his vocal.
The ending is abrupt, maybe add some end shine with reverb ? (reverb on the full male vocal will push it back to the back of the stage as well).
It can also be that you rendered only the selected portion of the mashup and that you cut off too early at the end (as I have done myself a few times haha).

Great combo, I love the textual interplay between the two vocals. Tgis is a better bed for the male vocal than the original backing I think.

1 star User

Re: (!)DJ Sires-I Don’t Want to Start Now (Dua Lipa x Aerosm

Post Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:00 pm

Thanks CVS! I've actually been inching Steven Tyler's vocals a few milliseconds earlier every time I work on it so it's good to hear that it's finally a little early. I pushed it back a little in V3. I've also been playing with the volumes as well. Your points on the vocal level are greatly appreciated and gave me a good direction to go with it.

On the romance side of it, do you think it needs more of the Dua Lipa vocals? I'll likely play them together anyway so I personally wouldn't need a ton of her vocals in this mashup to complete the idea in my DJ sets. I wouldn't want that to get in the way of a great mashup, though.

As always, any thoughts on the new version would be super helpful:

No Flash Installed

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>