[FP]CVS-TubsoloHolitie(Timberlake+Clean Bandit+Madonna+Chum)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
2 Star User

[FP]CVS-TubsoloHolitie(Timberlake+Clean Bandit+Madonna+Chum)

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:57 am

Sources in version 1:
Justin Timberlake - Suit and Tie (studio acapella) B min - 102,00 bpm
Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato - Solo (instrumental) B min - 105, 001 bpm

additional sources in version 2 and further:
Chumbawamba - Tubthumbing (acapella) D Major, so relative major of B min
Madonna - Holiday (vocal, synth, snippets) D Major

Thanks Happy Cat for your review on version 4
Lowered Justin's panned 'hey's (from 1:13 on) about 4,4 dB and his 'ow' an extra 1,5 dB.
Also applied a low shelf EQ filter 12 dB below 135 Hz on all Suit 'n Tie things.
Pulled up the J+J vocal from 3:14 one measure, but did this by cutting out a part from Justin's previous verse. So I pulled up from earlier. The crossfade is now @3:04, vocal still works. I need Justin's 'stop' @2:37 to shut up the enthusiastic Chumba's.
Fixed timing on Madonna's vocals + snippet (put her outro one measure earlier, so this long quatro mashup is a bit shorter).

No Flash Installed

download-version-4

===========
to compare, older versions below

Thanks for your review on version 2, TheTable
In version 3 I have:
- more volume on Justin vocal (about 2 dB) and his intro and shouts
- made Chumba vocal a tiny bit later (about 50 miliseconds if I count well, but Chumba is in a number of chunks now)
version 3

No Flash Installed

download-v3-chumba-tiny-later+justin-loud

Thanks for your review on version 1, B_Romeo
In version 2 I have:
- changed the structure of the mental and extended it
- made a new intro (about 1,5 minutes of it) with Justin, Madonna and Chumba
- made new outro with Madonna and Justin (thanks YT Mike Russell for jingle inspiration :1tongue: )
- cut out quite a lot of Justin vocal (starting him on the word 'stop' to shut up Chumbawamba)
- repeated parts later in the mix from earlier sources
- added panning L+R automation on some Justin shouts
version 2:

No Flash Installed

download-v2-longer

version 1:
Edited mental to repeat parts @0:30,5 @1:20 @1:58,5 @2:14,5 (Crossfade) @2:28,5
Used part of vocal outro as intro, with volume automation to get a fade in.
Send reverb on vocal.
Small timing fixes on vocal and a bigger one @0:44,5 putting it earlier from there. :1wink:

No Flash Installed

download-v1
Last edited by CVS on Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:31 am, edited 6 times in total.

1 star User

Re: CVS - Solo Tie (Timberlake + Clean Bandit + Lovato)

Post Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:30 pm

I didnt enjoy the intro very much and I maybe you could try to include a second vocal to accompany suit & tie. Other than that I liked it :)

2 Star User

Re: CVS - Solo Tie (Timberlake + Clean Bandit + Lovato)

Post Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:11 am

Thanks B_Romeo for your review, I changed the intro (and rest haha), added some sources, new version 2 is up in O.P.

1 star User

Re: CVS - Tubsolo Holitie (Timberlake+Clean Bandit+Madonna+C

Post Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:26 am

I really enjoyed version 2!

The only things that bothered me are that the Timberlake acapella gets a bit lost in the mix sometimes (especially noticeable in the rap section near the end), and that the Chumbawamba acapella feels like it's a few milliseconds ahead of time (really really close to being perfectly on time).
It is especially noticeable in the "we'll be singin'" part, and you might need to adjust it separately.

Great job with this one!

2 Star User

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:48 am

Thanks TheTable for your review, about 50 milliseconds too early if my correction is right haha.
You must be the drummer of U2 with his super timing !
https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2011/0 ... 0-mullenl/
U2 drummer Larry Mullen has sharper timing than a computer according to legendary producer Brian Eno.
Eno made the discovery while recording with the band after Mullen rejected his use of a click track to keep the beat.
"I was working with Larry Mullen, Jr on one of the U2 albums," Eno tells the New Yorker magazine. "'All That You Don't Leave Behind', or whatever it's called."
Mullen thought that the click track was slightly off and insisted it was a fraction of a beat behind the rest of the band. “I said, No, that can’t be so, Larry,” Eno recalls. “We’ve all worked to that track, so it must be right.” But he said, “Sorry, I just can’t play to it.”
Eno eventually adjusted the click to Mullen’s satisfaction, but he was just humouring him.
It was only after the drummer had left, that Eno checked the original track again and realised that Mullen was right: the click was off by six milliseconds.
"The thing is," Eno says, "when we were adjusting it I once had it two milliseconds to the wrong side of the beat, and he said, 'No, you've got to come back a bit'. Which I think is absolutely staggering."

New version with also a louder Justin (about 2,0 dB) and less bass in mental (about 0,3 dB) in O.P.

Post Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:16 pm

Nice work! Just have a few notes for you.

You need to turn down the panning "Heys" from Justin a few dB and possibly lower some of the low end so he sits in the mix better.

Some of the Madonna vocals and instrumental are milliseconds early or late. Take a critical listen to correct the timings.

The Justin and Jay Z are and entire measure late. The issue starts at 3:14 and continues for the entire song. The original has a measure long pause before the chorus, but your instrumental isn't accounting for it. Move the vocals up a measure from 3:14 but leave the Justin Verse section where it is.

In the mean time I'm Recommending but please do a critical listen, compare to the originals for the phrasing correction.

2 Star User

Re: (!) CVS-TubsoloHolitie(Timberlake+Clean Bandit+Madonna+C

Post Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:32 am

Thanks HCD for your very precise tips and the preliminary recommend, new version is up in O.P.

Post Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:40 pm

Excellent fix! :1cool: Thanks man.

Post Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:10 pm

IMHO, this is one of your better mashes, CVS. And now Front-page ready! :1wink:

self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>