(FP) ZK / Illenium; Hayley Williams; a-ha)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

(FP) ZK / Illenium; Hayley Williams; a-ha)

Post Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:12 pm

ZooKreeper - Hold On to Me Tonight (Illenium ft. Georgia Ku vs Zedd ft. Hayley Williams vs a-ha)

Illenium ft. Georgia Ku - Hold On (instrumental remake - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfKuoG67NNc)
Zedd ft. Hayley Williams - Stay the Night (acapella)
a-ha - Take On Me (acapella)

Trying this again! It was pointed out to me that I was unknowingly butchering my instrumentals by messing with pitch and tempo incorrectly, so I found a different instrumental and only worked on the vocals. Hope this version is an improvement :1lipsrsealed:

No Flash Installed

Download

v2

No Flash Installed

v2 Download

v3

No Flash Installed

v3 Download
Last edited by ZooKreeper on Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: ZK - Hold On to Me Tonight (Illenium; Hayley Williams; a

Post Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:44 am

It is much better!

Lets try a couple things on the mix.
Turn stay the night vocals down a hair and add a little reverb.
Turn Take on Me volume a little and more reverb it to give it some depth. Also, turn up the instrumental a little during those Take On Me Parts so you don't lose energy.
Take on me is panned to the right a little. You may want to take a look at it.
Lastly, Take on me fall slightly out of pocket on occasion. Just tighten up the timing where needed to achieve perfection.

Good Luck! :1tongue:

2 Star User

Post Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:03 am

I like it a lot, especially the Aha-ending 'i'll be gone' in response to her request: 'stay with me'. The Aha-part could be a bit louder, so that everyone can hear this (not just on headphones).
To me, HCD's 'out of the pocket' (the beat of drum and bass) of Aha sounds a tiny bit late.

TO CLEAR UP PREVIOUS REMARKS ON SPEED OF INSTRUMENTALS
You are using Audacity I believe ?
Use the 'change pitch' menu item to tell Audacity that you want to change the pitch, for instance one semitone up. Audacity calculates and shows the percentage that is connected with that. Now, DO NOT press 'OK', but copy that percentage, and leave the change pitch-window.
Then choose 'change tempo' (= both pitch and speed) menu item. There, paste the percentage that you just copied. Then press OK, and Audacity will change the speed of your selected track (or small part of it) and ALSO the pitch accordingly.
This way, with Audacity you can slow down a mashup that is too fast (like an earlier one of you with Aha), provided you take the pitch down as well (so use 'change tempo' instead of 'change speed' (speed only).
Be careful with speed changes ! About 6 percent equals one semitone (=100%). So a 1 percent change in tempo (= speed+pitch) will change the pitch 1/6 part, so about 16% of a SEMITONE. 2 percent is about 32% of a semitone, and with sharp ears (or Melodyne) you can find these (small) differences.
Of course, sometimes this difference is already in the used sources, for instance when someone rips the acapella from vinyl, as I learned from Warezio.

1 star User

Post Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:01 pm

Happy Cat Disco wrote:It is much better!

Lets try a couple things on the mix.
Turn stay the night vocals down a hair and add a little reverb.
Turn Take on Me volume a little and more reverb it to give it some depth. Also, turn up the instrumental a little during those Take On Me Parts so you don't lose energy.
Take on me is panned to the right a little. You may want to take a look at it.
Lastly, Take on me fall slightly out of pocket on occasion. Just tighten up the timing where needed to achieve perfection.

Good Luck! :1tongue:

Done! Wasn't sure if you meant turn TOM up or down, so I guessed up :1tongue:

CVS, thank you!! You've been a great help! ♥

Post Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:21 pm

One more thing. Stay the night is really bright which is making it sound loud. You can either turn down the vocals about 2dB and turn the instrumental up about 2dB during her parts or Turn the instrumental up 2dB and control her peaky loudness using a Multi-band compressor at the frequencies that she is loud at. This will suppress just those frequencies without having to turn down the other frequencies around the loud peaky range.

https://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro- ... or-plug-in

Grab the 30 day trial. Install. and add to her vocal track.
Then click the EQ line twice to create two compressor ranges; Click Once at 1k and the other at 2.5.
Then pull the threshold down on each band until you see the compressor start working visually. That should subdue her about 3dB if you used the default settings.
Then Bypass and Unbypass to hear the difference.

Good Luck.

1 star User

Post Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:58 pm

Happy Cat Disco wrote:One more thing. Stay the night is really bright which is making it sound loud. You can either turn down the vocals about 2dB and turn the instrumental up about 2dB during her parts

Went with this option since FabFilter is still a bit beyond me (despite your instructions, which I thank you for taking the time to give me).

Post Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:00 am

V3 is ok for me !

RECOMMEND :1wink:

Post Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:18 pm

ZooKreeper wrote:
Happy Cat Disco wrote:One more thing. Stay the night is really bright which is making it sound loud. You can either turn down the vocals about 2dB and turn the instrumental up about 2dB during her parts

Went with this option since FabFilter is still a bit beyond me (despite your instructions, which I thank you for taking the time to give me).

It isn't beyond you, it just looks like it is. Trust me, many new engineers run from Multi-band comps.
Don't. Jump in instead!! :1tongue:

Version 3 is great though!

Re: (FP) ZK / Illenium; Hayley Williams; a-ha)

Post Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:23 pm

I agree. This mix is much better than the original. Nice work! :1smiley:
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>