ZooKreeper - We Built This Helpless (Hamilton vs Starship)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

Post Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:57 pm

Lin Manuel Miranda, Phillipa Soo, and Renée Elise Goldsberry - Helpless (instrumental and acapella)
Starship - We Built This City (acapella)

Inspired to try a Hamilton mashup after the couple that were just posted :1cheesy:

No Flash Installed

Download

v2

No Flash Installed

v2 Download
Last edited by ZooKreeper on Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: ZooKreeper - We Built This Helpless (Hamilton vs Starshi

Post Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:01 am

We Built This City is a tough nut to crack. Consequently there aren't many mashups using that acapella. This is a good one, though.

However, there are a few spots (like at 0:39) where you are going to need to do some spot-pitching of the acapella to make it work. MashGyver is a master at these sort of things, hopefully he will chime in on this to tell you what you need to do with those few notes if you can't figure it out on your own.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

1 star User

Post Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:20 am

satis5d wrote:We Built This City is a tough nut to crack. Consequently there aren't many mashups using that acapella. This is a good one, though.

However, there are a few spots (like at 0:39) where you are going to need to do some spot-pitching of the acapella to make it work. MashGyver is a master at these sort of things, hopefully he will chime in on this to tell you what you need to do with those few notes if you can't figure it out on your own.

I’ll go back and take a look at it! Thanks for the feedback!

1 star User

Post Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:16 pm

Hmmm... If you're talking about "say you don't care who goes" and "too many runaways," do they really need to be changed if the dissonance is leading to basically immediate resolution? Or are there other parts you're referring to?

Post Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:14 pm

ZooKreeper wrote:Hmmm... If you're talking about "say you don't care who goes" and "too many runaways," do they really need to be changed if the dissonance is leading to basically immediate resolution? Or are there other parts you're referring to?
If satis5d is indeed referring to those parts, I hear it, but I don’t mind it terribly. Like you mention, it resolves shortly thereafter. You could possibly strengthen it with some clever edits to the instrumental there, but I think it’s passable.

However, the Starship vocals do seem kind of set back in the mix, at least in the verse section. I don’t know if you’ve added reverb to them, but they certainly seem doused in reverb. I think they could benefit a lot from being turned up a little in volume, or boosted in the mid EQ’s to help them sit in there better.

1 star User

Post Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:34 am

MashGyver wrote:If satis5d is indeed referring to those parts, I hear it, but I don’t mind it terribly. Like you mention, it resolves shortly thereafter. You could possibly strengthen it with some clever edits to the instrumental there, but I think it’s passable.

However, the Starship vocals do seem kind of set back in the mix, at least in the verse section. I don’t know if you’ve added reverb to them, but they certainly seem doused in reverb. I think they could benefit a lot from being turned up a little in volume, or boosted in the mid EQ’s to help them sit in there better.

If you don’t mind, what kind of edits to the instrumental would you suggest if I were to go that route?

I haven’t added any reverb to Starship but I can certainly adjust the volume (or fiddle with EQ). I know sometimes the suggestion is to add reverb to the remaining audio, so I can try that too and see how it sounds.

1 star User

Post Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:50 pm

Well I tried to figure out EQ but it's still a bit beyond me at this point :1embarassed: I did go back and bump up the volume on all the vocals though, especially on Starship, in v2.

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>