(!) Boy With Luv Wants It That Way (BTS,Halsey,Backstreet)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

(!) Boy With Luv Wants It That Way (BTS,Halsey,Backstreet)

Post Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:10 pm

jimmylin mashups
BOY WITH LUV WANTS IT THAT WAY
BTS, Halsey, Backstreet Boys

Stems:
BTS, Halsey - Boy With Luv
Backstreet Boys - I Want It That Way
Backstreet Boys - The Call (The Neptunes Remix)

Notes:
I figured I'd try to bridge two generations of boy bands into one mashup (although I'm fearful of the potential backlash from BTS fans -- the so-called BTS A.R.M.Y -- since I hear they can be quite protective of their group haha). So I decided to take take BTS's (and Halsey's) current crossover hit "Boy With Luv" and mix it with Backstreet Boy's most iconic track "I Want It That Way". And I tried to maintain each track's most defining parts: I left in the main BTS rap, I've sprinkled Halsey's bubbly "oh my my my" throughout the song, and I made sure to keep BSB's key change (the escalating "you are....you are...you are....you are......." part) at the end of the song. There's also some fortunate interplay between the lyrics of the two songs. Even though the majority of "Boy With Luv" is in Korean, there are a few parts in English that I took advantage of (when BTS sings "Tell Me" I tie it into BSB singing "Tell Me Why" and when Halsey says "I Want It" I tie it into BSB singing "I Want It That Way").

Hope y'all enjoy! Let me know if you have any comments/feedback/suggestions.

EDIT: Updated with Version 2 (some vocal adjustments, timing adjustments, and overall volume tweaks)

Audio (Version 1)

No Flash Installed

Audio (Version 2)

No Flash Installed

Download (Version 2)
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/ugvy2yaducsrc3w/%5Bv2%5D%20jimmylin%20mashups%20-%20Boy%20With%20Luv%20Wants%20It%20That%20Way%20%28BTS%2C%20Halsey%20vs%20Backstreet%20Boys%20--%20Boy%20With%20Luv%20vs%20I%20Want%20It%20That%20Way%29.mp3?dl=1
Last edited by hijimmylin on Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Boy With Luv Wants It That Way (BTS,Halsey,Backstreet Bo

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:19 pm

Lots to like about this mix. It's got tons of potential. :1smiley:

But it has a few minor issues to resolve first:

1. The Backstreet Boys vocal from I Want It That Way seems to be too dominant. I would suggest pulling those vocals back a bit overall.

2. The vocals may be a tiny bit ahead around 2:50

3. When the key change happens the overall power is too much. Everything at around 3:45 needs to be tamed just a bit.

4. Around 4:00-4:10 my ear detects that the vocals are ahead of the instrumental here, just a bit.

These fixes should be asy to make in one sweep. I expect that when you make them you will get my recommend.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

1 star User

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:23 am

satis5d wrote:Lots to like about this mix. It's got tons of potential. :1smiley:

But it has a few minor issues to resolve first:

1. The Backstreet Boys vocal from I Want It That Way seems to be too dominant. I would suggest pulling those vocals back a bit overall.

2. The vocals may be a tiny bit ahead around 2:50

3. When the key change happens the overall power is too much. Everything at around 3:45 needs to be tamed just a bit.

4. Around 4:00-4:10 my ear detects that the vocals are ahead of the instrumental here, just a bit.

These fixes should be asy to make in one sweep. I expect that when you make them you will get my recommend.

Thanks satis5d for the feedback! I made another pass at it and posted version 2. I lowered the Backstreet Boys vocals (anywhere from 1 db to 2 db lower depending on the section) to even it out. And I toned down the ending section (post key change) so it's not so blaring anymore (I guess I really like that part which is why in version 1 I just blasted it at max lol). And I adjusted the timing oh-so-slightly in those two chorus parts so line up the vocals a little better. Everything sounds a little more balanced now too, so thanks for the comments!

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:24 pm

Now that's what I'm talking about. :1cool:

self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>