Elmars - Africa Toy Shox (Netta vs. Leftfield)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

Elmars - Africa Toy Shox (Netta vs. Leftfield)

Post Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:35 pm

Africa Toy Shox - Netta vs. Leftfield ft. Africa Bambaata

My bloody beginner debut on Mashstix. The goal was to find a solution for mashing one of my Top-Ten-Tracks ever - Leftfield ft. Africa Bambaata - Africa Shox. Made my first steps on Audacity with this.
Have fun!

Africa Toy Shox - Netta vs. Leftfield ft. Africa Bambaata

No Flash Installed

DOWNLOAD

Mashup of:
Netta - Toy (Acapella - Acoustic Eurovision Song Contest Winner 2018)
Leftfield ft. Africa Bambaata - Africa Shox (Video Edition)

Re: Elmars - Africa Toy Shox (Netta vs. Leftfield)

Post Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:49 pm

Welcome, Elmars!

Great debut track!

Interesting and very unique choice of sources! I like the general sound and feel of the track, but I admit I found it a bit busy at times with the vocals competing. I wonder if there is enough of the Leftfield tune you could cut up and loop to avoid too much of those vocals competing with Netta’s… :1undecided:

That said, the track sounds in key and in time and production sounds pretty clear and crisp, so not much other feedback I can give you. Keep it up!

1 star User

Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:08 am

Thank you very much MashGyver for your kind reply!!! Actually, I'm very happy about all the people avoiding to call my stuff crap :1grin: Unfortunately there is no clear instrumental part from the Leftfield part available but I know, there are much possibilities to me to improve with more technical knowledge. I'll stay tuned with this, because I love it very much enough just for myself :1cool:

There is one important question left to me. I tried to upload it on SoundCloud too and recieved a message about copyright problems with the Leftfield part. Would that be a serious reason for me to worry about uploading it elsewhere (e.g. Sowndhaus)?

Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:30 pm

elmars wrote:Actually, I'm very happy about all the people avoiding to call my stuff crap
Married? That’s what my wife says about mine! :1laugh:

elmars wrote:Would that be a serious reason for me to worry about uploading it elsewhere (e.g. Sowndhaus)?
Copyright is definitely an obstacle with mashups and remixes, but I’ve never heard it escalating to a serious legal issue, if that’s what you’re asking about. Generally you’ll just get your mashup blocked or occasionally, with enough violations, you’ll get your account suspended.

Sowndhaus is actually the one place created by the mashup community for mashups, and is hosted in such a way to avoid the copyright drama. It won’t get you the traffic that soundcloud will, but it’s a safe place to host your work, and you’re in good company there.

elmars wrote:Unfortunately there is no clear instrumental part from the Leftfield part available but I know, there are much possibilities to me to improve with more technical knowledge
I listened to the original now and understand your predicament. It’s pretty densely packed with vocals…essentially using the vocoder as an instrument throughout. There is a short break around 2:20 in the original and a slightly longer one about 3:52 that you could possibly copy and paste over a few of the spots with vocals. Even the the 4:30 bit all the way to the end (with the “Bambataa” vocoders would be a lot easier to work with.) You would just have to do some careful surgery to the song, and make some tough decisions about how to structure it. You could also seek out a remix of the song and see if it has any more usable parts, but that is completely your decision.

1 star User

Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:55 pm

Yes married and my wife isn't very interested in these things i do, but I love her anyway :1grin:

I'm just thinking about your advices, have to get much more familiar with the DAW-stuff :1wink:

Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:55 pm

I concur with the advice that MashGyver has given you. It's not far from being recommendable.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

2 Star User

Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:03 pm

So Elmars, you are not far away from one or two recommendations, congratulations :1grin:
I found you some extra versions (there is also a instrumental version on Beatport, in B major they say). See your sowndhaus message for the file (by the way, there is also a message section here on Mashstix but I can only store 50 messages and am full at the moment).

- 3.44 version from the Vanilla Sky soundtrack (so maybe there is sample from that movie you can use), it can be the same as the radio edit, so it gives you an example how long your mashup combined from different mixes 'should' be.
- 8.01 live version of Afrika Shox (has lots of crowd noise, but that fits with a Eurovision song)
- 14:47 live version, with a great spoken intro ('here is: LEFTFIELD + AFRIKA BAMBAATAA') that you can uses for your mashup
- 6:15 Jedi Elastic Bass mix (not very exciting I think, but instrumental most of the time)
- 6:21 VW Mix (Volkswagen ?) good strong beat, has more energy seems faster, I did not check (maybe does not fit with the Eurovision winner song.... :1wink: )
- 5:35 could be the dave Clarke mix, or an album mix because it has a tracknumber 14 in the filename.

Part of these mixes that I found with application 'songr' are on the two maxi CD's /EP's released in 1999 (so twenty years ago...). On them is also Phat Planet (in two versions). That bassline sounds the same, but in the Dave Clarke mix it sounds similar enough on a quick first listen to use as a source.

1 star User

Post Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:00 am

I stay tuned but it can take a while. I'll be busy with family matters this weekend and a lot of other work the whole next week. Thank you very much Cor for your help with sending me alternative sources and useful advices. I'll get back here if there is progress :1wink:

1 star User

Post Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:07 am

Hi folks

I thought about it again in the last few days and tried to improve "the recipe" with a lower result. :1undecided:

My goal was not cutting out too much from the Africa-Bambaata-Voice-Part, which was technically very tricky for me in Audacity. :1rolleyes:

But a good thing is worth waiting for - I'll get on it :1wink:

Have a nice rest of the week!

Post Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:49 am

Nice track, Elmars, I like it :1rolleyes:

I agree with the above comments and I've nothing else to add, hopefully, you'll find the time to improve this version as suggested :1smiley:

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>