MG - Outshineosaur (Was (Not Was) vs. Soundgarden)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

MG - Outshineosaur (Was (Not Was) vs. Soundgarden)

Post Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:43 am

MashGyver - Outshineosaur (Was (Not Was) vs. Soundgarden)
Was (Not Was) - Walk The Dinosaur
Soundgarden - Outshined

VERSI0̸N ZER0̸

No Flash Installed

Get ready to Rock The Dinosaur!! So this is my baby…it might be my favorite combo I’ve done. But I admit I was maybe slightly inspired by HCD’s mash-off entry to try and push this one along.

Full disclosure: I’ve been sitting on this one for over a year. There is a middle section with a keyboard and a saxophone solo that worked so well musically, but without solo stems I had to DIY-isolate the solos themselves. It was a complicated and flawed process (shout out to TheRayMan for using his drum-remover plugin as one of the many filters involved), and it went against my own mashing principles, but I am hoping I pulled it off with some degree of proficiency. I still hear artifacts on some headphones if I try to hear them, but I would like to get y’all’s opinion on it. I am still without studio-quality ‘phones at this time, so your ears are very valuable. Anything else you catch is greatly appreciated as well!

Warning: This one is standard MashGyver-length and is never really over until it’s over, but if you dig it like I dig it, it totally ends too soon! :1wink:

1 star User

Re: MG - Outshineosaur (Was (Not Was) vs. Soundgarden)

Post Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:29 am

You are on quite the roll with this one, But this is just awesome sounds like a shit load of crazy ass tempo changes that and the vocals are syncopated perfectly.

Post Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:31 pm

Fun mix, MashGyver. :1cheesy:

I mostly enjoyed this, but I must confess that the section between 0:45 and 0:53 took the shine off the mashup for me overall. That part seems to be forced in the worst way. :1sad:
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Post Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:01 pm

satis5d wrote:I mostly enjoyed this, but I must confess that the section between 0:45 and 0:53 took the shine off the mashup for me overall. That part seems to be forced in the worst way. :1sad:
Yikes! :1shocked: In the worst way?? I could’ve made it much more worse if I wanted to! :1laugh:

Not sure how familiar you are with “Outshined”, but if you listen carefully to the main riff you’ll notice the verses are in 7/8 time, which is part of its charm and character, at least to me. Soundgarden spends a lot of time outside of 4/4, which is an acquired taste, I suppose. :1undecided:

In several parts of the mashup I added the extra half beat in various ways to make things an even 4/4, but there were a few parts I felt sounded too forced when adding the extra half beat. The part you mention was one I liked better at its original groove, but perhaps it’s my familiarity with Outshined.

That said I can understand why that part might have jarred you, but I am hoping it can grow on you. It happens again in the second verse and you didn’t mention it…maybe because it grew on you? :1cheesy:

I urge you to come back to it at some point, while in the mean time perhaps that part will go down easier for the others. I hesitate to "4/4ify" too much of the song for the reasons I mentioned, but I’m willing to listen to the people...

Thanks for listening!

Post Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:37 pm

I will see if I can tweak a few things around the abrupt 7/8 parts and make them a little more digestible (without compromising their 7/8 integrity :1wink: )

Post Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:54 pm

Bump.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>