[FP] MG - Outshineosaur (Was (Not Was) vs. Soundgarden)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

[FP] MG - Outshineosaur (Was (Not Was) vs. Soundgarden)

Post Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:43 am

MashGyver - Outshineosaur (Was (Not Was) vs. Soundgarden)
Was (Not Was) - Walk The Dinosaur
Soundgarden - Outshined

VERSI0̸N ZER0̸

No Flash Installed

VERSION 1.1

No Flash Installed

RIGHT-CLICK TO DOWNLOAD V1.1

Get ready to Rock The Dinosaur!! So this is my baby…it might be my favorite combo I’ve done. But I admit I was maybe slightly inspired by HCD’s mash-off entry to try and push this one along.

Full disclosure: I’ve been sitting on this one for over a year. There is a middle section with a keyboard and a saxophone solo that worked so well musically, but without solo stems I had to DIY-isolate the solos themselves. It was a complicated and flawed process (shout out to TheRayMan for using his drum-remover plugin as one of the many filters involved), and it went against my own mashing principles, but I am hoping I pulled it off with some degree of proficiency. I still hear artifacts on some headphones if I try to hear them, but I would like to get y’all’s opinion on it. I am still without studio-quality ‘phones at this time, so your ears are very valuable. Anything else you catch is greatly appreciated as well!

Warning: This one is standard MashGyver-length and is never really over until it’s over, but if you dig it like I dig it, it totally ends too soon! :1wink:

1 star User

Re: MG - Outshineosaur (Was (Not Was) vs. Soundgarden)

Post Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:29 am

You are on quite the roll with this one, But this is just awesome sounds like a shit load of crazy ass tempo changes that and the vocals are syncopated perfectly.

Post Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:31 pm

Fun mix, MashGyver. :1cheesy:

I mostly enjoyed this, but I must confess that the section between 0:45 and 0:53 took the shine off the mashup for me overall. That part seems to be forced in the worst way. :1sad:
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Post Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:01 pm

satis5d wrote:I mostly enjoyed this, but I must confess that the section between 0:45 and 0:53 took the shine off the mashup for me overall. That part seems to be forced in the worst way. :1sad:
Yikes! :1shocked: In the worst way?? I could’ve made it much more worse if I wanted to! :1laugh:

Not sure how familiar you are with “Outshined”, but if you listen carefully to the main riff you’ll notice the verses are in 7/4 time, which is part of its charm and character, at least to me. Soundgarden spends a lot of time outside of 4/4, which is an acquired taste, I suppose. :1undecided:

In several parts of the mashup I added the extra half beat in various ways to make things an even 4/4, but there were a few parts I felt sounded too forced when adding the extra half beat. The part you mention was one I liked better at its original groove, but perhaps it’s my familiarity with Outshined.

That said I can understand why that part might have jarred you, but I am hoping it can grow on you. It happens again in the second verse and you didn’t mention it…maybe because it grew on you? :1cheesy:

I urge you to come back to it at some point, while in the mean time perhaps that part will go down easier for the others. I hesitate to "4/4ify" too much of the song for the reasons I mentioned, but I’m willing to listen to the people...

Thanks for listening!

Post Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:37 pm

I will see if I can tweak a few things around the abrupt 7/4 parts and make them a little more digestible (without compromising their 7/4 integrity :1wink: )

Post Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:54 pm

Bump.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Post Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:18 pm

Okay, so I tried a number of things, and this is the only one of which I didn’t hate the results. I’m not sure it was an improvement, though. Besides some subtle panning and volume changes, the main difference between V0 and V1 is right at about 0:53. I opened up some space there, and let the vocals breathe, but I don’t know if the listener is ready for that abrupt break.

Please weigh in on that spot if you would…V0 or V1?

1 star User

Post Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:30 pm

MashGyver wrote:Okay, so I tried a number of things, and this is the only one of which I didn’t hate the results. I’m not sure it was an improvement, though. Besides some subtle panning and volume changes, the main difference between V0 and V1 is right at about 0:53. I opened up some space there, and let the vocals breathe, but I don’t know if the listener is ready for that abrupt break.

Please weigh in on that spot if you would…V0 or V1?

I really don't mind that change, I like V1 a little bit better, Nice work sir

Post Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:49 pm

Gonna make V1 the final version and move forward with this one. If "y’all ain’t down" with the rest of the 7/4 stuff, so be it. I was hoping to get mix-related feedback on the solos section in the middle, but I've already tweaked things too much there and now I can’t get it back to where I had it before. So that part is what it is.

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:26 pm

Kudos for the genre clash here and creating something different!

I’m not familiar with Soundgarden or their track here that you’ve used, but I appreciate the effort and editing put into this mix, including certain areas to compliment the 4/4 time signature from the original 7/4 time. As you say, where you’ve kept it the same for the verses that satid5d commented on, I think you do get used to it and my ears adjusted without it sounding too noticeable after a couple of listens.

Some nice touches with the use of vocals such as the repeated vocal over the percussion from 1:35 and again at 2:53 – 2:59 and the ending at 6:07, in keeping with the style of the track; plus with the section from 1:39.

Having some of the original ‘Outshined’ vocals in there as well is a good idea to keep the momentum going and to fill the space considering the length of the track.

The use of the ‘Walk The Dinosaur’ organ and sax solo section works a treat especially given that you didn’t have the stems to work with. It blends well with the ‘Outshined’ ‘mental without sounding over-crowded or out of place etc. Only thing that could be improved is the saxophone sounds panned slightly more to the right channel, rather than center panned in the same way as the organ before it.

I know you said v1 will be the final version for you now, but some areas of suggestion and other minor things I picked up on with this version:

- I like the vocal intro with the ‘mental fading in but felt that at 0:08 – 0:09 the timing could perhaps be tightened a bit more here to sound a bit more seamless? (The delay effect at 0:18 is cool though!)

- Timing of the vocal could be tightened around 1:31 mark?

- The volume of the vocals in the first verse i.e 0:34 – 0:52 sounds slightly low against the prominence of the guitar instrumentation

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>