(FP)CVS - Return of the Idgaf (Mark Morrison + Dua Lipa)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
2 Star User

(FP)CVS - Return of the Idgaf (Mark Morrison + Dua Lipa)

Post Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:53 am

sources:
Mark Morrison - Return of the Mack (acapella)
Dua Lipa - IDGAF (instrumental version)

version 7:
thanks MashGyver and SMASH for your comments on version 6.
I reduced the vocal sendreverb volume, added 0.5 dB on vocal, kept tape saturation, made EQ dip on vocal tiny bit deeper.
Voice is more upfront now, backing vocals still have some 'verb shine when they kick in.

No Flash Installed

download-version-7

==============================================
to compare older versions below:
version 6:
Thanks SMASH for your comments on version 5-fast.
Corrected the artwork.

No Flash Installed

version 5:
Thanks Gladilord for your comments on version 4. I changed:
- saturation (TAL-tube VST, with 'gentle tube amp' as a starting point) on vocal.
- added 2,0 dB below 222 Hz to the mental and lowered mental volume to stay out of red
- lowered 2,0 dB above 2.411 Hz (to give new saturation overtones in pella more room).

No Flash Installed

fast

Thanks MashGyver for your comments on version 4 as well, I rendered the new full version to WAV and varipitched that down one semitone and about 5,9 percent in speed, after using Gladilord's ideas.
Mark and Backing vocals sound very low, maybe it is better to stick to the fast version with the saturation and EQ.

No Flash Installed

slow

version 4:
Thanks HCD for your review on version 3, I varipitched the mental 3 semitones up to G minor and used another instrumental version to better fit with this higher energy. In version 1+2+3 I used a acoustic guitar only.

No Flash Installed

version 3:
Thanks HCD for your review on version 2, I made new version 3a (later killed 3b)
Mental 3 ST up and vocal 2 ST down arriving in the middle at G minor (this one i like better than 3b with 5 ST up to A minor, especially the backing vocals)

No Flash Installed

version 2:
Thanks MashGyver for your review and keytips on version 1.
Placed vocal earlier on mental, reused intro, cut off mental earlier because of the repetition. Both melodies meet now at other points.
Lowered vocal 5 semitones (keep formants) to a low male (that fits with a 'Mack' truck).
Then Autotune EVO on new vocal to E minor.

No Flash Installed

version 1:
I had to cut out a part from the mental and cut off the outro.

No Flash Installed

Last edited by CVS on Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Re: CVS - Return of the Idgaf (Mark Morrison + Dua Lipa)

Post Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:09 am

There’s a lot to like about this mashup, CVS, and I love that you’re persisting with that nice instrumental, but I think you’re dealing with the pesky Fifth Issue here…Sounds like IDGAF is in E minor and ROTM is in A minor… :1undecided:

It starts off pretty well--you almost had me fooled until “you lie to me” came in and something sounded “off”. I like the idea, though!

2 Star User

Post Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:37 am

Thanks MashGyver for your review.

Okay, so I changed the vocal placement, used a repetition of the intro and cut off the mental at another point. Then I Elastiquepitch-ed the male vocal down 5 semitones to a low male, and Autotune that new vocal to E minor straight. The word 'lie' changes the most by that.
New version is in O.P.
Last edited by CVS on Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:31 pm

The Keys are good in the edit version. I can't get past the pitch on the vocals though. It sounds a little to low for me. Perhaps you could pitch the entire thing up a +3 semitones to help it.

I think anything more than 3 semitones key change is way to much for any vocal to handle well and even that can only be done with programs like Melodyne.

2 Star User

Post Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:32 am

Thanks HCD, good to have you back, modding and mashing.

I put up two versions 3:
a. M+3 P-2
b. M+5
instead of the extreme P-5 semitones in version 2.

Post Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:35 am

If you pitch it, you need to Varispeed it (pitch without time correction)

This will make it faster but that okay. It will have more energy.

2 Star User

Post Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:12 am

Thanks HCD, I varipitched another version of the mental and put the new version in O.P.

Post Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:38 pm

You’re definitely on the road to improvement here…Version 4 is maybe a bit fast for me, but the harmony now sounds awesome. Did you varispeed the instrumental up 3 semitones? (because that’s like 18% faster!) Is there a way to land somewhere in the middle? I can tell you’ve already had to bring Mark’s vocals down in pitch a lot, so I don’t know how much further you can bring him…

Really starting to sound good, my friend!

2 Star User

Your best mash so far, tbh.

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:17 am

The synnergy, the rhythm, the vibe...

Unlike the mods, the only improvement I can see here being done is intensifying the vocals without having to raise their dB's more than it is. Maybe a very smooth level-balancing distortion effect can do the trick, who knows... as for the instrumental itself, lowering the treble level by 1-3 dB and increasing bass area by half of that may help to balance even more the stems used, though it probabilly make the whole picture a bit damped without some further reverb.

But hey, it's up to you having that as a thing to consider. :1cool:
When silly crosses serious... GladiLord is always near. :1grin:

2 Star User

Post Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:53 am

thanks Gladilord and MashGyver, I took both your tips and made a new version in O.P.
Because of my problems with Dropbox, I cannot add both my fast (18% +) and slow (12% +) versions. So I uploaded just the 12% F# minor version (I cannot do the G flat sign) via Sowndhaus.

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>