[FP] Free Muffin--Tom Petty vs Amon Tobin--DJ Bigg H

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

[FP] Free Muffin--Tom Petty vs Amon Tobin--DJ Bigg H

Post Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:41 pm

Free Fallin--Tom Petty
vs
Easy Muffin--Amon Tobin

No Flash Installed

Download: https://sowndhaus.audio/uploads/tracks/212904773_1056201382_1777544862.mp3

Greetings Mashstix fam! It's been a long time, I shouldn't have left you...without a dope beat to step to!!!

I've been out of the game for a bit as I've taken over my DJ company this year. But I never stopped tinkering! This track opened an all live mashup set that I did recently and I'm finally getting around to releasing it. I heard the Petty vocal and immediately knew I wanted to give it the Trip-Hop treatment. Amon Tobin filled in the beat and I added in some fun vocal fx for a more ethereal feel. Hope you dig it! :1rolleyes:

Cheers,

DJ Bigg H

PS: If you want to here the live mashup set, you can catch it here: https://hearthis.at/thebiggh/monday-mashup-may-2019-mixed-by-dj-bigg-h/ Hopefully, I'll be dropping a few of these creations over the next few weeks. :1grin:
Facebook: [url]facebook.com/thebiggh[/url]

Enjoy!

Re: Free Muffin--Tom Petty vs Amon Tobin--DJ Bigg H

Post Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:44 am

Excellent stuff, Bigg H!

You’ve done an incredible job with the atmosphere here...That echo on the vocals is really trippy! Incredible work!

The backing vocals that come in around 2:50 are a nice touch, but the first “fallin’” every time is a bit clashy. I don’t have any simple solutions that are jumping out at me, so I can’t nitpick too much. There’s a good chance no one else will even notice let alone be bothered by it, so...

2 Star User

Re: (!)Free Muffin--Tom Petty vs Amon Tobin--DJ Bigg H

Post Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:53 am

maybe the backing vocals at 2:50 have a chorus effect on them and the pitch difference between L+R is just a bit too much (like 10% instead of 2-3%) ?

My first impression was the first backing vocal falling is high (but not high enough) and the second low (but not low enough). BUT: I hear things in a strange way, I found out.

Maybe go to an extreme backing vocal (vocoder effect, 5th up or down, gospel choir wide).
On the other hand, you have your first recommend ! haha.

1 star User

Post Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:00 pm

Sounds great, Bigg H!

I've been visiting and downloading from Mashstix for a few years now but this is actually my fist post. Hopefully with many more to come!

I've been following your mashups and really love this one. It'd be great to see it on the front page :1wink: :1wink: The Tom Petty vocals effects on top of the Amon Tobin track definitely create a cool vibe. Can't say I hate the name either. Who wouldn't want a free muffin??

I loved the track start to finish. I'm probably a more casual listener but the backing vocals at the 2:50 mark actually sounded great to me. The backing vocal "ooo"s that came in around 2:27 are what stuck out to my ears the first time around. They are the first chords in the vocals so it makes since they'd sound a little off. It honestly doesn't clash with the vibe of the song and creates a great resolution once the chorus kicks in.

Thanks for the great work and I'll keep following your mashups!

1 star User

Post Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:06 pm

Thanks Mashgyver, CVS, and DJ Sires! Feedback is always appreciated. I'm thinking the key clash you guys are picking up on is likely outside of my expertise to correct since nothing is jumping out at me in this mix. I confess, my ears are ruined from listening to this a million times...it all just sounds "familiar" now.

Hopefully the other admins will give it a listen and it will get a final thumbs up or down. :1wink: :1grin:
Facebook: [url]facebook.com/thebiggh[/url]

Enjoy!

Post Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:52 pm

As MashGyver mentioned, most people wouldn't even notice the issue he hears at 2:50.
In my opinion, it's perfectly fine just the way it is.

Sweet mashup. You beat SgtMash to this one! :1laugh:

self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>