(!) Calm Down Royals(Taylor Swift Vs Lorde)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
3 Star User

(!) Calm Down Royals(Taylor Swift Vs Lorde)

Post Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:49 am

Calm Down Royals(Taylor Swift Vs Lorde)
Instrumental: Taylor Swift - You Need To Calm Down | https://youtu.be/Dkk9gvTmCXY
Vocal: Lorde - Royals | https://youtu.be/nlcIKh6sBtc

Oh boy, did I vanish again? This mashup shows just how interchangeable modern production makes a lot of songs.

There's an original tempo version and a slightly pushed 6% varispeed edit, which I prefer, but wasn't sure if you guys would so posting both.

There's a couple of moments of 'incidental' sounding tunings in the vocal, but they do resolve to the chord progression in the instru & I like that they tweak the ear, then sit back down again (sure there's a legit musical theory term for this?!).

6% Cranked Edit

No Flash Installed

Version 2 | Spliced, Faded & Tailed. Not much else at all.

No Flash Installed

Download: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/f2jwnfkbkz4cu9 ... ice%29.mp3
Last edited by SgtMash on Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Calm Down Royals(Taylor Swift Vs Lorde)

Post Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:09 pm

I like the faster version better. For some reason Taylor Swift sections are really quite compared to Lorde. You may want to bring up in level to match. Splice in an edit from the original song during those sections perhaps?

3 Star User

Re: Calm Down Royals(Taylor Swift Vs Lorde)

Post Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:34 am

Happy Cat Disco wrote:I like the faster version better. For some reason Taylor Swift sections are really quite compared to Lorde. You may want to bring up in level to match. Splice in an edit from the original song during those sections perhaps?

eyyy ty - yea I spent quiet a bit Eqing to get her even slightly above the mix in the Instru track - AND I NEVER ONCE THOUGHT JUST SPLICE THE FULL ONE BACK IN LoL :p I shall give that a go :1rolleyes:

back at ya shortly. I just tidying up a Liquid Drum N Bass Happier I was having fun with.

Re: (!) Calm Down Royals(Taylor Swift Vs Lorde)

Post Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:15 pm

Nice combo, I also like the faster version more, but I'm having a hard time with Taylor's quality :1undecided:
I guess you are using Taylor's DIY acapella, am I right? Maybe you should use the original in her parts :1smiley:

3 Star User

Post Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:49 am

Spliced, X-Faded n Tailed Edition Up Top^

There she is!

Post Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:50 pm

Great fun, Sarge! Glad to have you back! We are all kind of hit and miss these days.

I was very skeptical about Lorde's harmonies working, but as you said they seem to resolve rather well (tension and release would be the term, fyi :1wink: ) And the whole thing is energetic and catchy, so none of it is bothersome.

The only thing that jarred me was the missing word “fantasy” at 1:04. I thought it was a mistake at first, but re-listened and I’m not so sure anymore…If it was intentional, I get it…it just was a bit hard to swallow at first, for what that’s worth. If you want to leave it the way it is, this track is surely FP worthy in my book. I’m curious if anyone else got tripped up by this part.

Great stuff, though!

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>