(FP)The Table-The Ball Wrecks It All (Miley Cyrus vs. Abba)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

(FP)The Table-The Ball Wrecks It All (Miley Cyrus vs. Abba)

Post Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:31 pm

The Ball Wrecks It All (Miley Cyrus vs. Abba)

This one was very challenging...
The BPM constantly changes so it was hard to sync.
It was almost impossible to find the original instrumental (I needed the version from the movie because it's in a different key), and the one I found wasn't mastered for some reason so I mastered it myself. It also had those sea sounds that I ended up just leaving there.
The acapella wasn't the best aswell and it was difficult to get rid of the backing vocals during the chorus.
I'm really happy with how the last part turned out tho :1cheesy:

Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball [Acapella]
Abba - The Winner Takes It All [Instrumental]

V2 [Pitch correction at the end of the second extended "Baaaaaaaaaall"]

No Flash Installed

V1

No Flash Installed

DOWNLOAD
Last edited by TheTable on Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: The Table - The Ball Wrecks It All (Miley Cyrus vs. Abba

Post Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:12 am

Brilliant!

That first few bars of the Wrecking Ball melody is very difficult to mash nicely, and I wasn’t sure at first if I liked how it sounded, but I quickly got into the groove in the pre-chorus and forgot about it.

Clever little spot-pitching in the chorus…It went so well I almost didn’t notice! And then the manipulations later--the extended “baaaaaaaall”s!! What exactly are you using to stretch those words so cleanly and nicely? Or did you just cut the word up 38 times? You’ve done an admirable job with those. The second one that ends about 3:06 slides down out of key for a split second (drops to an A♭ I think) at the end--I wonder if you could bring that last syllable up a semitone to an A cleanly and make it sound a little nicer...

And who’s your top secret guest vocalist singing the last few lines? She has a great voice and also made me second-guess what I was hearing!

The only other thing I think that could possibly make this better is the very last “me” note resolving to a chord tone for some nice closure…either down a semitone to A or up two to a C (or both layered for a nice harmony effect?)

Overall, nicely done! Cover art is wonderful too!

1 star User

Re: The Table - The Ball Wrecks It All (Miley Cyrus vs. Abba

Post Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:09 pm

Thanks for the recommend!

MashGyver wrote:Clever little spot-pitching in the chorus…It went so well I almost didn’t notice! And then the manipulations later--the extended “baaaaaaaall”s!! What exactly are you using to stretch those words so cleanly and nicely? Or did you just cut the word up 38 times? You’ve done an admirable job with those. The second one that ends about 3:06 slides down out of key for a split second (drops to an A♭ I think) at the end--I wonder if you could bring that last syllable up a semitone to an A cleanly and make it sound a little nicer...

V2 is up in OP with this fix!
For the time stretching, I stretched the word only a bit and then repeated it - one normal, one in reverse (I actually did this in Premiere Pro because it was easier). In the middle I switched to a different "ball" where her voice was less stable, like she was running out of air. Added some EQ and reverb automation to make it a bit less robotic, and hid some cuts under the kicks of the instrumental.

MashGyver wrote:And who’s your top secret guest vocalist singing the last few lines? She has a great voice and also made me second-guess what I was hearing!

She's a singer from Fiverr, so I just paid 10$ and she recorded it for me. She does have a great voice and was very professional!

MashGyver wrote:The only other thing I think that could possibly make this better is the very last “me” note resolving to a chord tone for some nice closure…either down a semitone to A or up two to a C (or both layered for a nice harmony effect?)

Sadly I couldn't get this to work... No matter how hard I tried, the pitch correction just sounded off...

MashGyver wrote:Overall, nicely done! Cover art is wonderful too!

Thanks! :1smiley:

Re: (!)The Table - The Ball Wrecks It All (Miley Cyrus vs. A

Post Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:45 pm

TheTable wrote:V2 is up in OP with this fix!
For the time stretching, I stretched the word only a bit and then repeated it - one normal, one in reverse (I actually did this in Premiere Pro because it was easier). In the middle I switched to a different "ball" where her voice was less stable, like she was running out of air. Added some EQ and reverb automation to make it a bit less robotic, and hid some cuts under the kicks of the instrumental.
V2 Sounds great! Kind of what I figured about your vocal stretching. It’s very labor intensive and I am still hoping to come across a simple solution rather than having to employ a litany of techniques, smoke, and mirrors every time, but your work paid off--you’ve done a commendable job with it!

TheTable wrote:Sadly I couldn't get this to work... No matter how hard I tried, the pitch correction just sounded off...
Now that I think about it, I’ve used that vocal before and it’s so over-produced and saturated with effects I know exactly the struggle you faced there…still sounds good enough as is!

Nice work and definitely worthy of an FP when someone gets around to it!

Re: (!)The Table - The Ball Wrecks It All (Miley Cyrus vs. A

Post Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:52 am

This is gorgeous! Very good stuff Table.

1 star User

Re: (FP)The Table-The Ball Wrecks It All (Miley Cyrus vs. Ab

Post Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:58 pm

Thanks for the compliment and FP, HCD! :1smiley:

Post Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:43 pm

Beautiful. I've got to tip my hat to you on this one! :1cool:
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

1 star User

Post Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:27 pm

Wow, you really went the extra mile with the end on that one. Kudos!

1 star User

Post Sun May 26, 2019 9:48 pm

Listen I HATE ABBA, Miley Cyrus? Can't stand her either but you have created something unique here, Plus great job looping that phrase and pretty damn great repitching work.

2 Star User

Well... Greatest thing discovered, maybe?

Post Mon May 27, 2019 5:47 am

Very unique and very beautiful, besides being ultra Crumpl!

That's what makes you unique, Table. Keep on the sideways of the road, since it's there where belongs the virtue :D
When silly crosses serious... GladiLord is always near. :1grin:

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>