(FP)DJDumpz - You Don't Know Mercy (Duffy,ArmandVanHelden,+1

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
3 Star User

(FP)DJDumpz - You Don't Know Mercy (Duffy,ArmandVanHelden,+1

Post Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:45 pm

DJ Dumpz

You Don't Know Mercy

After a longer break I finally found some time again to work on new stuff. So here's my first mashup for 2019. Let's start the year with a simple A vs B featuring Duffy and a classic house track by Armand van Helden. :1smiley:

In V2.0 I lowered the volume of Duffy and improved mixing and stereo image. There were lots of minor changes too...I hope to the better... :1grin:

In V3.0 I improved the SC multiband compressor as suggested by HCD to give the vocals more space. :1smiley:

What do you think? Looking forward to your feedback on this one! :1cool:

SOURCES:
- Duffy - Mercy
https://youtu.be/y7ZEVA5dy-Y

- Armand van Helden ft Dune Harden - You Don't Know Me
https://youtu.be/yNSpLqmY6K0

- Ben E. King - Stand by me
https://youtu.be/hwZNL7QVJjE

Listen:
V3.0:

No Flash Installed

Download:
V3.0: DJ Dumpz - You Don't Know Mercy 3.0 (Duffy vs Armand van Helden vs Ben E King)
Last edited by DJ Dumpz on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

2 Star User

Re: DJ Dumpz - You Don't Know Mercy (Duffy,ArmandVanHelden,+

Post Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:23 pm

Hi DJ Dumpz!
It sounds like you're on to something here, but it get a bit messy in my ears :1undecided:
The vocals are completely drowning out the mental, try to lower your vocal track about 3db.
And also a bit stereo panning on the vocals, as she is very up front at the moment.
Not sure if this helped you at all, but looking forward for the final result :1cheesy:

Edit. Heard it again, maybe you can do a lot just by Eqing the vocals, or a multi band compression?
Anyway i think you could make this golden, but its all in the mix :1wink:

Post Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:31 pm

This is already quite nice, but of course the mashstix zeitgeist is about the finishing touches. Along those lines ...

Dj-Legato wrote:It sounds like you're on to something here, but it get a bit messy in my ears

Something standard to try is to reduce energy in the "mud frequency" range which is around 300hz.

Dj-Legato wrote:The vocals are completely drowning out the mental, try to lower your vocal track about 3db.

In my headphones I didn't feel this as urgently as Legato, or maybe you updated the track already. However ...

Dj-Legato wrote:And also a bit stereo panning on the vocals, as she is very up front at the moment.

... there's a lot of wide energy in the instrumental which is ok but then whatever stereo effects were on your vocal are completely buried. Hopefully carving the instrumental with EQ will help.

3 Star User

Post Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:57 pm

Thanks for your feedback. The big challenge with this one is that I'm not using any acapella because there are instrumental hooks in "Mercy" which I'd also like to keep. That's why I already tried some EQ and a SC multiband compressor but it's good to hear other's opinions and hints so I'll try to improve the mix further as soon as I have time again and keep you updated with a v2.0 :1smiley:

3 Star User

Post Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:28 pm

Just uploaded V2.0 in which I lowered the volume of Duffy and improved mixing and stereo image. There were lots of minor changes too...I hope to the better... :1grin:

1 star User

Post Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:47 pm

Although V2 is a improvement over V1, I still have trouble hearing duffy over all of the stuff going on in the background listened on my studio monitors, You need to bring up the high end of her voice more so it cuts through the instrumental better.

3 Star User

Post Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:57 pm

TheRayMan wrote:Although V2 is a improvement over V1, I still have trouble hearing duffy over all of the stuff going on in the background listened on my studio monitors, You need to bring up the high end of her voice more so it cuts through the instrumental better.

Thanks for your feedback. :1smiley:
I already did this but maybe I should bring it up even a bit more. However, I lowered the volume of the vocals because Dj-Legato's opinion was that they were to loud in the mix :1undecided:

1 star User

Post Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:59 pm

DJ Dumpz wrote:
TheRayMan wrote:Although V2 is a improvement over V1, I still have trouble hearing duffy over all of the stuff going on in the background listened on my studio monitors, You need to bring up the high end of her voice more so it cuts through the instrumental better.

Thanks for your feedback. :1smiley:
I already did this but maybe I should bring it up even a bit more. However, I lowered the volume of the vocals because Dj-Legato's opinion was that they were to loud in the mix :1undecided:

Hmm well maybe up the vocal and boost the mental by a decibel.

Post Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:53 am

You'll need to do some drastic (-2 or more) narrow band (thin) EQ at the primary range of the vocals. This will be somewhere between 1.0k - 2.3k.

In addition if you have a side chain Multiband like Fab Filter MB or Get the demo here you can use it to help even more. Just send your vocals to a bus and assign the bus to the side chain (KEY INPUT) of the Compressor (top of the plug in or on the track output in Abelton).

Then add 3 bands;
800HZ - 1.5khz
1.5khz -2.3khz
2.3khz - 4khz

Pull the "RANGE" of each one up to about -3db and turn on the "EXT" (external side chain located by click the extension arrow in the band option along the bottom)

Pull the threshold down on each band until you are getting a visible compression pump at around -1 to -2 dB on the instrumental. The compression movement should mirror that of the vocals. If it doesn't that means you either forgot to assign the bus side chain or you forgot to turn on the EXT in the band options.
Lastly, lower you band release time (also located in the band options) to be as fast as possible. If you do this for all 3 bands it tame the brass and make additional room without hollowing your instrumental to death with EQ.

Good Luck!

Abelton Side chain bus assignment options to Pro MB

2 Star User

Post Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:07 pm

What HCD said...I was gonna say "some selective EQ is all you need as there's a lot at the top" and HCD went all extra helpful n technical for ya :1grin:

I like the pairing bangs along nicely!

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>