[FP] Dark Hang-ups (Gibbs Vs Madonna)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
3 Star User

[FP] Dark Hang-ups (Gibbs Vs Madonna)

Post Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:55 am

Dark Hang-ups(Gibbs Vs Madonna)
Vocal: Madonna - Hung Up| https://youtu.be/EDwb9jOVRtU
Instrumental: Gibbs - Into The Dark | https://soundcloud.com/thegibbs/into-the-dark

Queen Madge embracing her inner darkness, courtesy of some Wave from gibbs :)

Quite straight forward doubled her Madgesty up and dropped one an octave, added a bag of floaty fx and some EQ on the Instrumental to let both vocals out without it getting too peaky and a little tuning on the odd wild moment. Hope you like it.

Wow how drunk was I... edited imagery/ titles etc...

V.1.noob | "Oops that was only the preview"; replaced...sry

No Flash Installed

Download: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/j7waupp4ezc29w ... 1.noob.mp3

V.2 | Fx additions on the main vocals filter & gating plus bit of telephone.

No Flash Installed

Download: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/z9ezh4op9pw2h3 ... x_Edit.mp3
Last edited by SgtMash on Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

Re: Dark Celebration(Gibbs Vs Madonna)

Post Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:50 pm

It's good, but really short even by HCD standards. Do you care to extend it?

3 Star User

Post Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:17 am

Warezio wrote:It's good, but really short even by HCD standards. Do you care to extend it?
Ahahahaha - didn't upload the right version - that was a bit I stuck on Clypit when I 1st found it and was checking reactions with friends - prolly not even the final EQs Fx etc...my bad! :p

V.1.noob up top in a mo...^^

Post Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:13 pm

Nice job. That madonna song is very difficult to mash but you did well here. My only recommendation would be to try diffrent types of effects (telephone, distant hall, echoed glitches, vocal distortions so on) on occasion to keep things fresh and interesting. Overall it's very well done.

Re: (!) Dark Celebration(Gibbs Vs Madonna)

Post Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:00 am

That beat sounds like a real pain to try and mash with…I think you did it, though (a few beats confused me at first, but upon further review sounded like they worked)…I like the octave-doubling effect, though--very cool.

I’ll wait on the response to HCD’s feedback--I agree some diversification would help…

Also, in the original post, you put “Celebrate” my Madonna, but isn’t that “Hung Up” you’re using? :1wink: Obviously not a huge deal, but the title makes less sense that way...

3 Star User

Re: (!) Dark Celebration(Gibbs Vs Madonna)

Post Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:06 am

I blame the xmas booze :1laugh: It's very much hung up...I'm highly embarrassed by exactly how confused I get sometimes...

idk on the Fx. will have a play. kinda liked it vanilla as it's kinda nihilistic deadpan feels right to the instrumental to my ears. I'll have a play with maybe sucking her down a black hole etc and see what it sounds like xx

2 Star User

Re: (!) Dark Hangups(Gibbs Vs Madonna)

Post Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:57 am

Great combo and unusual (in a good way).

artistic
Madge may be referring to the old habit of hanging up a telephone-with-cable after you are 'finished' with (talking to) a person.
After about 2:15 the music changes, so that could be a good point to change mrs. Ciccones voice to a telephone sound.
Also the echoes and delays of the instrumentalintro (IDK how they do it) could be something to rebuilt and put on Madonna's voice, as a sort of 'effect echo'.

3 Star User

Re: (!) Dark Hangups(Gibbs Vs Madonna)

Post Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:23 pm

ty Mash&CVS, I've got some workable telephone as suggested & am experimenting with cutting some of the vocal segments to midi and muckin' about / glitchifying. I can hear/feel potential, but so far not 100% happy. Will give it another blast tomorrow!

2 Star User

Re: (!) Dark Hang-ups(Gibbs Vs Madonna)

Post Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:05 am

Audio cut to midi sounds like you use Ableton Live.
(A)
So you can repeat parts like a non-destructive-delay (up up up up, or a breath of Madonna).
You can play chords of the vocal (= total nonsense) or an arpeggiator (nonsense usually, but sometimes gold).
You can change by hand the pitch of the individual cut parts (they are not related to the keyboard keys that Ableton puts them on anyway...) and make a new melody. (or pitchchange just the last syllable of dagadaga-da, depending on how many midi-parts you cut).

(B)
In Ableton Live (9 and up) you can also convert audio to midi. Then you have a separate, editable (!) midi track, that you can use as a guiding channel for Autotune, that you put on the original vocal. That way you can change the midi to a new melody, like the original vocal line of the instrumental.

(C)
Using Sampler (or Simpler? I always mix them up as a non-user of Ableton) maybe there is a middle ground, where it is easier to change the pitches than in (A) but you don't need to have Autotune like in (B)

Re: (!) Dark Hang-ups(Gibbs Vs Madonna)

Post Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:14 pm

Interesting idea, a different interpretation of that song from Madonna :1rolleyes:
One small comment from me, that part @2:20 may be just a little bit late, but I'm not sure, I'm counting on your ears, and I'm waiting for your next version :1wink:

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>