(!)CVS - Feel The Sledgehammer Coming (P.Gabriel + The Weekn

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

Re: CVS - Feel The Sledgehammer Coming (P.Gabriel + The Week

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:31 am

Thanks Satis5d for your review, I fixed these in version 5 in original post.
Also I was able this way to reintroduce a part I cut out in version 3 because of this same problem that I could not fix then.
Also found another spot where 'show' should be one semitone lower (I think... :1laugh: ).

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:38 am

Great idea :1cool:

satis5d wrote:There's a sour note at 3:09 (and a couple more like it) on "I kicked the HA-bit" and "This is the NEW song." Sounds like 1 semitone flat (low) to me.

I'm not sure, but maybe the word the (before "HA-bit") needs also a few cents up :1undecided:

Overall, it sounds good to me, maybe the echo is a bit exaggerated, but I guess it's only me :1wink:

1 star User

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:13 pm

I have upped the 'the' that SMASH mentioned @3:09 one semi (so 100 cents), but can't really hear it. I have switched off the delay on suggestion of SMASH, this was easy, because I have switched the delay on and off with an automation envelope in Acid Pro so can put it back on as well. However, the delay was also there to mask the rough points of the vocal and its transients, and for me it looses the dubby feel and sounds 'naked' (but that could be a good entry for the romantic mashoff...)

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:08 pm

CVS wrote:I have switched off the delay on suggestion of SMASH, this was easy, because I have switched the delay on and off with an automation envelope in Acid Pro so can put it back on as well. However, the delay was also there to mask the rough points of the vocal and its transients, and for me it looses the dubby feel and sounds 'naked' (but that could be a good entry for the romantic mashoff...)

Maybe I didn't express my self well, I wasn't against the echo, actually, it was a good idea to use it, I just felt it should be used more gently.

As I mentioned, maybe it's only me, let see what the others will say about it :1wink:

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:30 pm

The Haas effect sounds to be alleviated, so nice job there…

As far as the note changes, I think the notes satis5d was referring to were more of the D♭’s I referred to in the first post. I thought they had been brought down to C’s in an earlier version, but now I’m not sure... :1huh: Anyway, like I was saying, you’re probably better off being consistent, rather than bringing some of them up to D (all due respect to satis5d), but you’re starting to get feedback pulling you in all sorts of directions so I don’t want to try and persuade you in any particular direction.

In general, though, the pentatonic notes of the scale (in this case E♭ F G B♭ C) will be the most “consonant” (safest). But if you like the sound of D note better in this particular case, that’s all that matters--music is way more interesting when the “rules” are broken! :1wink:

The echoes were fine with me. I’m thinking SMASH is suggesting to pull back on the “feedback” control a bit... :1undecided:

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:34 pm

Overall the piece is quite enjoyable and exhibits nice craftmanship.

While I agree with Smash that maybe less echos would work better, the level of echo in v5 is acceptable enough to make it a matter of taste.

MashGyver wrote:The harmony sounds great! To me it now sounds close enough to the original, even with the changed notes, that I doubt most people will notice the melody was modified so much.

+1. You navigated the major/minor/mix clash nicely.

1 star User

Re: (!)CVS - Feel The Sledgehammer Coming (P.Gabriel + The W

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:15 am

Thanks Warezio for the recommend on version 5.
I still lowered the amount of echo in a new version 7 (in original post now with comments) like SMASH (and you) suggested.
Went back as close to the pitches of version 3 (the MashGyver Harmony one) as possible. I will remember now to save intermediate projectfiles with old plugin-settings. Instead of just keeping the old tracks (with the time and pitch corrections from previous versions) on mute in one BIG projectfile.

Thanks MashGyver for explaining on the D-notes and the pentatonic reference, I will look that last one up.

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:25 pm

I know that it can be miserable to continually edit the same piece of music. Sometimes the same parts get pushed beyond their limits and you have to almost start fresh with them to avoid artifacts from appearing. This seems to be the case at around 3:15, 3:25 and 3:35-3:42. I am hearing a distinct noise in the vocals that shouldn't be there.

Other than that, you really did an admirable job on my earlier issue at around 3:09. These notes sound correct to me now.

Finally, Peter sounds like he's singing karaoke to me in this version. I see that you pulled the effects and echo back a lot, but maybe it's too much. For me this isn't a deal-breaker, but the "masters" of mashups seem to get these details right every time.

I really appreciate the amount of work you've put into this project and your willingness to accept the various feedback as opportunities to learn. I'm very close to putting this one on the FP.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

1 star User

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:17 am

Thanks Satis5d for your new review.
To fix the artifacts (I think I was the overspill of instruments on the not-so-clean-acapella, gsnapped and delayed) I searched for a better, cleaner acapella and found one on youtube.
Rayman gave me the original mental, so I used that as well.
Also cut back on the delays: fewer spots to apply, shorter sample, shorter 'runout time' after that. Because I switch the delay on and off with an automation envelope, the moment of switching of influences the number of possible repeats.
New version is in the O.P.

Previous

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>