(FP) Otherwise, Call Me a Little Man in Paradise

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
2 Star User

(FP) Otherwise, Call Me a Little Man in Paradise

Post Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:40 pm

Hi! I'm trying to make a new mashup in my Morcheeba series, but i have now mixed my self entirely deaf.. :1cry:
This time i was going to use multiple sources instead of a simple A+B
It started out ok, but i did too many changes along the way.. and now i cant find my way back :1undecided:
I really need a set of fresh ears to point me back on track.. Thanks!

Sources:
Morcheeba - Otherwise (instrumental)
Blondie - Call Me (acapella)
Coldplay - Paradise (acapella)
Little Dragon - Little Man (acapella)

This is what i have so far..
V1

No Flash Installed

V2

No Flash Installed

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fcr633f03l7x8ya/Morcheeba%20-%20Otherwise%20mashup%20test4%20alt%20intr%20outr_pn.mp3?dl=0

Do i have to loose one, or introduce one? Or can i manage with the sources within ?
I really hope you guys can help me along the way.. I'm stuck! :1embarassed:
All suggestions are welcome ! I will consider it all, as long as its practically doable :1laugh:
Last edited by Dj-Legato on Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

1 star User

Re: Morcheeba Vs Blondie Vs Coldplay & Little dragon

Post Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:12 am

Blondie doesn't sound all that great kind of clashes most of the time or maybe it's the way she's mixed in with the instrumental, Maybe add some reverb to her voice and EQ it as well she doesn't stand out that much. The coldplay and little dragon song I didn't mind however.

1 star User

Post Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:54 pm

Great that you keep up with the Morcheeba ideas.

I love @1:04 when Deborah Harry kicks in; her voice there sounds strong, in the stereo-middle and fitting with the Coldplay before that.
It also seems like the 'call me' chorus later in the mashup is not in the middle, but slightly to the right (on my headphones...).
At other parts Blondie is softer than at 1:04 but it is the chorus of 'call me' there, which is usually sung louder than the verses, it seems strange that here it is the other way round?
In the first minute Blondie seems to me almost unnecessary. Or maybe use another part of her vocal, not the chorus? Or use more of the other girl.
Instead of using equal parts of all three songs, you can make Coldplay (that fits great) the biggest part of the mashup and use smaller parts of the other two tracks (like A+B+c+d mashup). Coldplay always sounds 'moody' to me and that is a natural fit for the triphop mental.
Because Blondie sings about 'call me', at the outro I would try to put in some dialling telephone noise. (the sounds you hear when calling/punching keys, or even turning the dial on an old telephone). If Morcheeba use a kitten purring as background sound, maybe there is a telephone somewhere as well in one of their other tracks ?

Post Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:26 pm

I think this one is coming together nicely, sounds like you didn't get too lost. I'm looking forward to the next version.

Minor issue: blondie's energy after "alibi" at 1:26-1:32 doesn't match the instrumental, she's peaking but the instrumental is still building. Maybe another part of the acapella would work better.

TheRayMan wrote:Blondie doesn't sound all that great kind of clashes most of the time or maybe it's the way she's mixed in with the instrumental, Maybe add some reverb to her voice and EQ it as well she doesn't stand out that much.

It sounds like Blondie has had her lows scooped out because the original instrumental was bass heavy. I had the same problem with Normani on "I Needed Love Lies", and I couldn't eq it back it just wasn't there, so instead I constructed a wide harmony using 3-7 semitones lower which helped her out. Note when the instrumental has some low end Blondie is working well.

Blondie also sounds distant, which makes her sound great as a background vocal. I prefer background vocals to be wide, by the way. but she's always narrow. When she's distant as a foreground vocal it isn't so bad because of the instrumental style, especially at the beginning of the song when it is still warming up.

Blondie also sounds thin, sometimes a chorus plugin can be a workable solution, and like TheRayMan says stereo effects (verb, delay) can help.

TheRayMan wrote:The coldplay and little dragon song I didn't mind however.
Agreed, these are working well.

CVS wrote:It also seems like the 'call me' chorus later in the mashup is not in the middle, but slightly to the right (on my headphones...).
I would make her wider rather than pan her and keep her narrow.

2 Star User

Post Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:14 pm

Hi! Thank you guys for the reply and the great constructive feedback :1cool:
Been busy all weekend, but had a go on it today.

First of all i changed the energy @ 1:26 - 1:32 by replacing the vocals as you suggested W (nice hearing) :1shocked:
I also widen Blondie a whole lot on the overlapping parts so i could actually increase the Db on her vocals without being to loud in the mix.
I did however widen her all along the track as well, just to have a starting point. And i think it sounded better even in the upfront parts. :1undecided:
I might want to ease of on some parts..?

Did some more effects on both Blondie and LD, adding some tube-compressor, reverb and Eq +++
And at last went over every transition once more, to try and smooth it out, using volume and Eq envelopes..

I put an alternative intro and outro on it to! (some OoHooOoous from Paradise in the intro and a busy phone signal at the outro)
This can of course be easily removed, so please listen to the rest of the mix regardless of those parts ;-)

I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere with this after all, thanks a million guys :1grin:

Post Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:19 pm

The finishing touches make this a great piece.

Re: (!)Morcheeba Vs Blondie Vs Coldplay & Little dragon

Post Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:28 pm

if you could add a download link and a title to your mashup, you can be sure that i woud frontpaged it :1wink:

1 star User

Post Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:29 pm

Love it how the mashup turned out.

Title could be: Otherwise, Call Me a Little Man in Paradise
(strange sentence, but still makes some sense)

With view-source (right click menu) I found this adress for the one with ooh ooh in intro and telephone in outro in Legato's original post:
link-in-legato-post

Post Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:49 am

CVS wrote:
With view-source (right click menu) ...

lloyd wrote:Guys, how hard is it to write your post as we have requested??

In The Subject Bar - Producer's Name - Track Name (Source A vs Source B vs Source C)
If it won't all fit in the subject bar, then lose your name first but we want to see the title and the artists please.

In the post itself - List all sources, give us a working preview player and give us a download link.

Please all read (or re-read) this!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1721
and
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5176

2 Star User

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:53 pm

Hi! Thanks for the recommend Warezio i appreciate it :-)

if you could add a download link and a title to your mashup, you can be sure that i woud frontpaged it

Thanks DRA`man! This time i didn't forget about the DL.. I just thought it was work in progress :1wink:
But it seems like both W and yourself are pleased with what you hear? And im fairly happy with it myself to :1grin: :1rolleyes:
So Ive added a DL on the top now!

Title could be: Otherwise, Call Me a Little Man in Paradise
(strange sentence, but still makes some sense)

Thanks for the suggestion on the title CVS ill go for that, cus i have absolutely no clue what else to call it :1laugh:

Oh yeah! The posting guideline.. Many times there is no room to post both title and all the artists in the subject bar as in this case, this was all it could fit (Otherwise, Call Me a Little Man in Paradise - Morcheeba Vs) :1cry:
So what do i do? :1huh:
But i always list all of my sources/samples in the actual post. :1undecided:

Thanks again guys, you are the best :1smiley:

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>