(!)Emotional Like A Hurricane (Whitney vs. Scorpions)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

(!)Emotional Like A Hurricane (Whitney vs. Scorpions)

Post Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:33 pm

satis5d: Emotional Like A Hurricane
Whitney Houston vs. Scorpions vs. Diplo & Sleepy Tom

Power meets power in this mashup. I want you to be brutally honest about the pitching on this one. Whitney wasn't auto-tuned and sometimes it all sounds good to my ears. Other times, I'm not so sure.

Whitney Houston - So Emotional (acapella)
Scorpions - Rock You Like A Hurricane (instrumental stems)
Diplo & Sleepy Tom - Be Right There

No Flash Installed

Version 2

No Flash Installed

Download here
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Re: Emotional Like A Hurricane (Whitney vs. Scorpions)

Post Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:35 pm

My kind of mashup! Love it. Whitney is better than 99.99% of all vocalists out there, give me the real thing.

Re: (!)Emotional Like A Hurricane (Whitney vs. Scorpions)

Post Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:03 am

First of all I want to say I love the concept! (I played around with another powerful female voice from the 80’s and Rock You Like A Hurricane myself recently, but I ended up abandoning the project, as I do all too often. :1cry: )

And while I was excited to see Whitney and The Scorpions on the bill, truthfully I’m not really feeling the synergy between these two tracks. The Diplo/Sleepy Tom in the verses wasn’t bad and Whitney had a few nice moments, such as the high notes (“muuuuch”) right before the chorus...

But...The chorus is the biggest issue for me. The direction of Whitney’s chord changes doesn’t quite gel with the instrumental and I never felt they locked in. I was really hoping they would. :1sad: Fortunately, I am not the only pair of ears around, so I may get outvoted on this...

From a mix standpoint, I think I’d like to hear some reverb and delays on Whitney to blend her in with that big wall of sound that the instrumental brings to the table. The Diplo vocals seemed to sit in the mix fairly well as is.

1 star User

Post Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:09 pm

Very funny and crazy Idea!!

In the beginng the Whitney vocals are a little bit too load for my ears.
In the rest of the mix, they fit well (beside the missing reverb)

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:36 pm

At long last I have edited this mashup. Mostly, I added a bunch of reverb effects to Whitney to help her the match Diplo vocals and the instrumental better. I also pulled Whitney back some.

Version 2 is up. :1grin:
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:42 pm

satis5d wrote:At long last I have edited this mashup. Mostly, I added a bunch of reverb effects to Whitney to help her the match Diplo vocals and the instrumental better. I also pulled Whitney back some.

Version 2 is up. :1grin:
It’s definitely an improvement. I’m still having trouble with how she sits in the mix…maybe it’s my current headphones, but I feel like she is still too dry and narrow.

After a few listens, I think I can live with the chorus harmony since the rhythm and energy fits so nicely. But I would keep tweaking that mix a bit until Whitney settles in better.

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>