CVS - Moskatoboy (The Weeknd vs Moskato Riddim)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

CVS - Moskatoboy (The Weeknd vs Moskato Riddim)

Post Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:51 am

sources
The Weeknd - Starboy (acapella) C major (relative A minor)
version 1+2: Moskato Riddim (instrumental) G Major ? (bassmelody seems to me: E,D,C - B,C,D ) MashGyver suggests E minor (= relative minor)
what i did
Thanks Legato for your remarks on the Moskato-mental, in version 2 I used other parts of the Moskato mental under the mentioned pella-points.
I like the Moskato riddim, that I have only heard in an instrumental version, so I don't know where original vocals start.
Starboy is C major according to Autotune and internet. Internet calls Moskato G major.
Thanks HCD for your remarks on version 2 and the hint at the timing/lining up.
Thanks Smash for pointing out the correct starting point; moving everything back 4 beast (one full measure) did a wonderful trick, melody is better resolving now, also ending fits better.
Thanks MashGyver for pointing out both minor keys (a 5th apart). By changing the different notes of the A minor vocal to E minor of mental, everything should be 'in key'. Still could be incompatible keys of course... I like it better than the original starboy instrumental. :1wink:

version 4 (after MashGyver)
Autotuned vocal to E minor (mental). Not many changes, apart from the vocoder bits.

No Flash Installed

============
to compare old versions below
version 3 (after HCD and Smash)

No Flash Installed

version 2 (after Legato, before HCD):

No Flash Installed

version 1:

No Flash Installed

Last edited by CVS on Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:04 am, edited 8 times in total.

2 Star User

Re: CVS - Moskatoboy (The Weeknd vs Moskato Riddim)

Post Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:18 am

I like this one CVS, but there is some minor ook moments in there.. I think the first 2 times he sings "look what you got" there is a dissonance, but you fixed it along the way? 3d time is in key, but at 02:03 it drifts of again, not sure if you key-sampled this a lot or not ?

1 star User

Post Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:43 am

DJ Legato, thanks for your specific point, I was able to use that 'good point' as a reference and made a version 2, putting other parts of the mental under the pella on the mentioned phrase.

Post Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:32 pm

The vocals are a relative minor but is sounds out of key. :1shocked: I have no idea why though.

*Thinking out loud*
Perhaps the vocals are not lined up right? It must have something to to with how the notes resolve, as if they never harmonize. MashGyver needs to jump in on this one. I'm not sure what to recommend.

1 star User

Re: CVS - Starbabyboy (The Weeknd vs Sean Paul + Beyoncé)

Post Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:58 pm

Thanks HCD, the mental key is G, not C Major, so there is a fifth issue with that mental. I really looked for two C-major-sources, but misread the G in my own handwriting...
EDIT I swapped the mental for another one (baby boy, supposed to be C#maj), changed starboy to C# maj. Baby boy fits however with the lowest note on my keyboard (=C) and more or less with a minor third (D#) and other internet tells me it is in C minor.
This explains the misfit Satis5d and Legato pointed out below, so I deleted version 3.
Last edited by CVS on Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:51 pm

This sounds OOK to me. :1undecided:
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

2 Star User

Post Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:23 pm

I do agree the V3 is ook in my ears to :1sad: The V2 is the best so far..

1 star User

Post Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:30 am

You were both right, first I misread the G for a C, than a small m (minor) for a big M (Major). Trying to mix C minor (with arabic melody) and C major.
So we will wait for MashGyver on version 2 like HCD suggested...

Post Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:04 am

Happy Cat Disco wrote:Perhaps the vocals are not lined up right?

I think the same, it sounds like the vocals were introduced too early :1undecided:

I played a bit with the sources, maybe all you need is to shift the vocals like this:

No Flash Installed

1 star User

Post Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:57 pm

@Smash, you are right and thanks for the clear example, a good thing that you could find both sources so fast to show me. Even the ending fits better now that everything is 4 beats (so a full measure) later. The riddim is solid now, on the new reordered mental (thanks Legato).
I think even the melody resolves better.
new version 3 is up.

BTW, I think comparing with a piano, the melody on the low orchestral hits goes: e,d,c - b,c,d

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>