[FP] Black Days In Kashmir (Soundgarden vs. Led Zeppelin)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

[FP] Black Days In Kashmir (Soundgarden vs. Led Zeppelin)

Post Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:33 am

So, there are many methods by which we pick our mashup pairings. This one just started as an experiment (a little over a year ago), when I was toying around with unorthodox time signatures*. I was initially thinking about using an orchestral version of Kashmir and entering it into the “Classical Music” mash-off that a few of you will remember from last year, but I ended up throwing this one out (I’d also already started and finished a number of other Soundgarden projects, this one was kind of dark, and I figured no one could really appreciate the time signature thing besides myself.)

But then, a week and a half later the news hit that Chris Cornell had suddenly passed away. As a Seattle kid who went through his teenage years in the 90’s it was devastating news to me, and it took me a while to recover from. But I eventually decided that I needed to make this mashup happen, whether it was something others would appreciate or not...

For about the past year this thing has sat at the "90% done” point, getting a touch-up here and a touch-up there. I’m still not 100% sold on all my transitions and creative choices, but it’s about time someone else heard it.

And yes, it is long. But...it is more than a full minute shorter than the original Kashmir track! And the actual track length itself is a bit of an Easter Egg, if you can figure that one out :1wink:

This one won’t be for everyone--it’s quite dark; it’s very experimental, and probably more musically complex than anything I’ve ever done. The journey itself might mean more to me than the destination means to you. But I think Chris would’ve appreciated it too. So I hope you get some enjoyment out of this tribute to the greatest voice of my generation...

MashGyver: Black Days In Kashmir (Soundgarden vs. Led Zeppelin)

Led Zeppelin - Kashmir (Studio Track, sliced, diced, and folded on top of itself)
Soundgarden - Fell On Black Days (Vocals and Guitar stems)

VERSIØN ZERØ:

No Flash Installed

VERSION ONE:

No Flash Installed

VERSION TWO (Wider instrumental, some Reverb, Volume, and EQ tweaks)

No Flash Installed

RIGHT-CLICK TO DOWNLOAD VERSION TWO

* For all my fellow music nerds in the house: The main riff from Kashmir is a brilliantly crafted polyrhythm where John Bonham (RIP to another all-time great!) plays the drums in 4/4 while the guitars and strings play their riff in 3/4 (or 3/8 depending on how you count it.) The beauty of this is while they are not fully in sync throughout, every 4 measures of 3/4 is 12 beats, as is every 3 measure of 4/4, so they sync up every 12 beats. Fell On Black Days is mostly in 6/4, so every 2 measures equates to 12 beats, and I think it works nicely over Kashmir, in an unexpected way. The 4/4 parts just took some re-structuring, and hopefully they work too. :1smiley:

2 Star User

Re: MG - Black Days In Kashmir (Soundgarden vs. Led Zeppelin

Post Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:33 am

This is absolutely perfect as you said back in my Tears For Zeppelin thread this song will either make you or break you and it obviously didn't break you, Very wonderful Angus!

Post Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:15 am

It's a winning combination for sure. The music is missing a lot of beef though. Bass mostly. Can you boost it or get a better copy of the intsrumental?

Post Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:32 am

g4gorilla wrote:It's a winning combination for sure. The music is missing a lot of beef though. Bass mostly. Can you boost it or get a better copy of the intsrumental?

I also kind of hear this, and I think maybe it could be Cornell's vocals in particular that are showing how the original Kashmir mix is lacking the low end, as Cornell has a very deep voice in contrast, and you can hear that the type of vocals of Robert Plant are much more treble happy, by nature of the higher notes in his singing range. Maybe you could try to add some low end to the instrumental, but it isn't much an issue to me, especially as you get more inside the song.

The vocal manipulation spots were very good. That was probably a fun and satisfying melodic scale to work with. I think those spots (starting with the stereo jumping vocals) can be lowered in volume just a bit, though. They seem to be standing in front of the instrumental a bit.

And I noticed the OOOHHH that I think happens a few times (once at 3:30) can be brought down in volume.

Seeing as how these are minor, fairly easy little tweaks, I have no problem recommending this, because it is a very good track, and one that has the appeal of having one source have to be formed to fit the other, and it was done seamlessly, with added flair that comes with the Gyver name.

And I promise I won't even attempt to quote anything MashGyver says from this point on. I just can't trust myself.

Re: (!)MG - Black Days In Kashmir (Soundgarden vs. Led Zeppe

Post Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:51 pm

Thanks for the feedback YITT and g4g, and thanks for the support, TheRayMan!

I will try tweaking the instrumental's bass, and the vocal volumes when I get back in town in a week.

Post Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:17 am

YITT wrote:The vocal manipulation spots were very good. That was probably a fun and satisfying melodic scale to work with.
Yes, that whole middle section was pretty much just me letting loose and enjoying myself. Glad it sounds okay!

YITT wrote:I think those spots (starting with the stereo jumping vocals) can be lowered in volume just a bit, though. They seem to be standing in front of the instrumental a bit.

And I noticed the OOOHHH that I think happens a few times (once at 3:30) can be brought down in volume.
I am not entirely sure which spots you were referring to, but I went ahead and turned down some vocal volumes in the middle section that I felt could be heard as a bit hot.

g4gorilla wrote:The music is missing a lot of beef though. Bass mostly. Can you boost it or get a better copy of the intsrumental?
This was the original track ripped from CD, so there isn’t a better copy, but I went ahead and boosted some bass frequencies, most noticeably in the kick drums.

VERSION ONE is up top. Hope it has addressed all the issues. My daughter destroyed my headphones yesterday so I am listening with crappy earbuds until I figure something out. :1angry:

Post Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:09 pm

Despite a few cuts that sounded a bit more abrupt than I would prefer, this is outstanding work. I was pretty much ready to give this my recommendation until I got to 7:07. That section hit me like a wall of sound. Maybe that's what you were going for, but it was too powerful for me. I will recommend this with a bit of a volume decrease from 7:07 onward.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Post Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:25 pm

"Some spots are faded" in acapella volume a bit now in V1, which I think was a great edit. The instrumental/vocals feel right in the pocket now.

This mashup in whole is really growing on me. I mean, I liked it at first, but after listening a few more times and catching more, it's upgraded to awesome.

satis5d wrote: I was pretty much ready to give this my recommendation until I got to 7:07. That section hit me like a wall of sound. Maybe that's what you were going for, but it was too powerful for me.

I think Led Zeppelin is at fault in this case, but that doesn't mean post-producers can't make a creative volume re-balancing. This issue doesn't hit me badly, but I do hear an energy increase. If altering that, I think you could simply dip the instrumental a bit in volume in this short, last section.

Post Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:04 am

I like the combo but the mental is still flat IMO. The drums are far. Maybe you could add another one ?

Post Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:05 pm

Another unique combination, MG :1cool:

I have no real issue with version 1, but there are some comments you might want to look at first :1wink:

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>