[FP] Toxic Over And Over Again (Nathan Sykes Britney Spears)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

[FP] Toxic Over And Over Again (Nathan Sykes Britney Spears)

Post Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:04 pm

DJ CROSSABILITY - Toxic Over And Over Again (Nathan Sykes vs. Britney Spears)

Sources used:

Nathan Sykes - Over And Over Again (Instrumental & Original)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eiv5aElMZs

Britney Spears - Toxic (Acapella)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOZuxwVk7TU

v1:

No Flash Installed

v2:

No Flash Installed

v2 Download link - right click save as):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/bnef6fqya25miqi/DJ%20CROSSABILITY%20-%20Toxic%20Over%20And%20Over%20Again%20%28Nathan%20Sykes%20vs.%20Britney%20Spears%29%20v2.mp3

Hi guys,

I'm not entirely sure about this one now, the more that I listen to it! :1tongue: So it would be good to get some new and fresh ears on it to see what you think? Although both songs should work together being relative keys (Eb Major and C Minor) it feels like some areas possibly don't quite fit harmoniously still?

Also, to note I brought the last Britney section/outro (starting at 3:41) forward to come in on the first beat of the bar, as opposed to the second beat as heard in the original Toxic, as I think it seemed to sound better like this?

Lastly, unfortunatley I couldn't find any better quality Britney pella, but tried to cover it up the best I could.

Cheers! :1smiley:

P.S Hoping to get the chance to comment on submissions later this week.

Re: Toxic Over And Over Again (Nathan Sykes vs. Britney Spea

Post Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:12 pm

Many parts work, but there are some notes that take some getting used to, e.g., "taste". Hooktheory has a roadmap which indicates lots of borrowed chords and quick-hits from alternate modes, so it's not surprising that merely aligning the keys is insufficient.

Personally, I would just experiment and use my ears on this one, but those with better hearing might be able to provide more precise feedback.

1 star User

Post Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:07 am

As warezio clearly said the word taste kind of clashes I didn't personally hear any other weird sounding notes but then again I am not much of a expert on harmonics, Sometimes the major over the relative minor works sometimes it doesn't it's kind of a risk either way. Let's see what everyone else thinks.

Post Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:25 pm

Welcome back, Cross! Good to hear from you!

DJ CROSSABILITY wrote:Although both songs should work together being relative keys (Eb Major and C Minor) it feels like some areas possibly don't quite fit harmoniously still?
It’s a bit tricky--The choruses in the instrumental are definitely in E♭ major (and sound great with Britney consequently), but the chord progression of the verses is more of an E♭ mixolydian progression, which will only sometimes work with an E♭ major melody, and then C minor is even less guaranteed to work.

Without getting too technical about these things, your best strategy “on paper” for those verses is to bring all the C notes that occur during the first two chords in the verse progression, up a semitone to D♭. Unfortunately that is a lot of C’s to deal with, and that may make the melody sound bizarre to anyone who has heard the song before. So this might be a mashup where you just choose a different vocal to use during the verses? Maybe. :1undecided:

I would say that Britney sounds pretty good considering how you downplayed the quality of the acapella. She seems to be missing some of that reverb and echo that makes Nathan sound at home in the mix here. Also, her vocals cut off abruptly at the end of some phrases, perhaps due to gating or just some clip-trimming you’ve done. I would recommend tinkering with some reverb and delay and see if you can get a similar sound to what’s going on with Nathan, and that should alleviate some of the rough edges.

Hope that helps.

3 Star User

Post Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:06 am

Hit me right in the feelz why don'tcha!

Who'd have thought Britney would work here but she does. As Mash said some reverb would help with bedding maybe and a few tweaks in the clips. There's an almost distorted (over-comp'd?!) feel on both vocals, but I can't decide if it's not actually gr8 and adding to the feel of the track.

I can hear what people might find ooky, but I'm loving it and sits jazzy fine in my ears after the 1st listen through I don't notice anything much at all. I couldn't tell you why I really like this, but I do.

Post Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:34 am

I'm fine with the pitch. :1smiley:

Post Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:55 am

Welcome back Cross, nice to see you here again :1smiley:

MashGyver wrote:She seems to be missing some of that reverb and echo that makes Nathan sound at home in the mix here. Also, her vocals cut off abruptly at the end of some phrases, perhaps due to gating or just some clip-trimming you’ve done. I would recommend tinkering with some reverb and delay and see if you can get a similar sound to what’s going on with Nathan, and that should alleviate some of the rough edges.

Agreed.

I find this one very enjoyable to listen, and I'm fine also with the current pitch, just make Britney vocals sit more nicely in the mix with some more reverb/delay (not too much :1wink: ).

Re: (!) Toxic Over And Over Again (Nathan Sykes Britney Spea

Post Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:57 pm

Thanks guys for the welcome back, and the valuable input as always. Thanks also HCD for the recommend!

I was considering shelving this one, but you've encouraged me to go back to it. Although there seems to be some divided opinion on the key/pitch of Britney's vocal, I think I'm going to leave adjusting any notes or sections now in case it disrupts the original melody too much. I did already have some reverb to the vocal but have added some more in v2 to try and get it to sit better in the mix. I also changed the existing delay starting at 1:54 to a low pass filter delay, plus added some more in for other areas of the track. Those clipping sounds were from the original pella but have tried to remove or fade them in v2 to not sound so prominent without losing the ends of the phrasing.

@SgtMash - I know what you mean about the slight distortion, as Nathan's vocal on the original track sounds quite loud in comparison to the piano, so had to raise the Britney vocal to match this level throughout

Hopefully v2 is an improvement on v1, and that the vocal pitch is acceptable left as it is, cheers

Post Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:09 pm

The mix definitely sounds better in V2! I still love the chorus and think that you’d be better suited to use a different acapella for the verses, as I know that’s a style you’ve done plenty of times. The verse harmony just never clicks for me, unfortunately.

But as you said, you’ve gotten mixed reviews on the harmony, so I’d bet this will end up on the Front Page shortly. I certainly enjoy the sound and feel of this mashup.

3 Star User

Post Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:20 am

Still in love, only thing I now wonder if I hear is his dragging a fraction between 2:13 and 2:20 odd against the downbeats on the piano? Anyone else hear that? Otherwise/still pure <3

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>