(FP)DAW-GUN-Wolves Not Gonna Take It(TwistedSister v Digi...

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
2 Star User

(FP)DAW-GUN-Wolves Not Gonna Take It(TwistedSister v Digi...

Post Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:55 pm

DAW-GUN - Wolves Not Gonna Take It (Twisted Sister v Digitalism)

Acapella: Twisted Sister - We're Not Gonna Take It
Instrumental/vocal: Digitalism - Wolves ft. Youngblood Hawke

I recently watched the Twisted Sister documentary (I highly recommend it btw) and wanted to make a mashup. As always, my ears have gone a bit numb - Plz let me know what I can do to improve the track!

Stream newest version:

No Flash Installed

DOWNLOAD

Old versions referenced in the thread below:

Third version:

No Flash Installed

Second version:

No Flash Installed

First version:

No Flash Installed

Last edited by DAW-GUN on Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Re: DAW-GUN - Wolves Not Gonna Take It (Twisted Sister v Digi...

Post Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:31 pm

Trippy combo DAW-GUN. Just got a few notes.

The vocals feel pretty loud and not in the same space as the instrumental.
Is sounds like the vocals may be a few cents sharp/flat? as well.

Don't forget to leave feedback for your peers. :1wink:

2 Star User

Post Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 pm

Thanks for the tips!

I mixed this in my headphones and posted it prematurely. I'll redo the mix on my monitors and post it again. I'll also check the tuning in Melodyne and then adjust it in Ableton.

I feel like the 1st and 4th ohhhhhs in each prechorus is off key with the music. I'll play with those too (after adjusting the pitch) to see if they need transposing.

Lastly, I'm thinking about chopping 8 bars out of the end - the 8 bars that don't have Neidermeyer in them. What do you think, is 5:10 too long?

Post Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:50 pm

DAW-GUN wrote:Lastly, I'm thinking about chopping 8 bars out of the end - the 8 bars that don't have Neidermeyer in them. What do you think, is 5:10 too long?

Depends on who you are asking. For me the song should end at 3:14.

Also, noticed the 3:19 vocals are in a different key.

2 Star User

Post Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:33 am

Happy Cat Disco wrote:For me the song should end at 3:14.

Also, noticed the 3:19 vocals are in a different key.

Thanks, I'm on it. I'll fix it tonight!

Post Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:24 am

DAW-GUN wrote:I feel like the 1st and 4th ohhhhhs in each prechorus is off key with the music. I'll play with those too (after adjusting the pitch) to see if they need transposing.
That whole bridge section in the original Twisted Sister tune is wonky to begin with. The “whoooooa”s are in D major, so I’d bringing them up 2 semitones, and the “We’re right, we’re free…” part is a pretty “keyless” to put it in layman’s terms.

If it were my track I would try to hack up the instrumental in that part to match what the song does. “We’re right” is fine; “we’re free” is up a semitone, so I would drag the instrumental up a semitone there against conventional wisdom; “We’ll fight” is up to F♯ so you could sample a F♯ minor chord from somewhere else in the song (or drag an E chord up 2 semitones), and then “You’ll see” lands on a B chord in the original, which you could sample from the instrumental too. I realize that’s a lot to get to work, and it might sound like garbage if it doesn’t work, but it could also be awesome if it does work!

Alternatively you could bring “We’re free” down a semitone, and all of “We’ll fight; You’ll see!” down 2 semitones. My guess is it would sound pretty bland being all the same note, but it certainly wouldn’t sound OOK.

Or…you could just remove that part altogether :1undecided: I agree it does run a little long. But adding the WNGTI guitar solo drenched in reverb might be a way to add something to this and not make it seem so long and repetitive.

2 Star User

Post Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:49 pm

MashGyver: Thanks for all the constructive and optimistic feedback!

I like to dig in on one mashup at a time, so I'll keep playing with this until it's better.
Also, I might make 7", Original, and Extended versions.

I'll start tonight and see how far this gets. ;)

2 Star User

Post Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:40 am

Version 2 is up!

I made a ton of changes:

I mastered on my monitors instead of headphones and, yeah, the vocals were ridiculously loud so I turned them down. I also tweaked the reverb a bunch.

I used only the extended vocal mix of the Wolves track instead of the instrumental so that the sound would be uniform throughout (the instrumental and vocal mix have very different production to them).

The beginning is revamped to have a build to it.

I took out the doubled chorus in the beginning to match the original TS song.

I pitched up the whoas 2 semitones as suggested in the bridge.

I threw in the guitar solo as suggested and decided to layer it under the Wolves chorus.

I then shortened the last choruses to include only the ones with the ad libs - except for the last two which don't have them but lead to the end with the longer held syllable and final echo.

Please let me know what you think. I feel like it still has a couple of rough edges but it's closer to done.

Post Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:06 am

The “whoas” in the bridge are much better now…although the unchanged “we’re right, we’re free” part still doesn’t work very well harmonically. Unfortunately the only simple solution is to cut that part out.

I could barely hear the guitar solo, but it did sound very nice, buried deep under the chorus.

But now that I have a good listen on the headphones I noticed what HCD was talking about with the vocals not being in the same space as the ‘mental. It actually sounds like you grabbed a Mono version of the vocals. If you listen to the chorus in the original TS song you can hear the backing vocals off to the sides and not everything dead center like this. If you can get the stereo version I think this will sit a lot better. You still may have to add some reverb to get it to sit better with this particular instrumental, though.

The guitar also sounds mono…the second guitar comes in halfway through and should be all in the side channels…Did you get these from a MOGG file?

Post Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:04 am

Oh this new version is definitely working for me. A stereo acapella will really make it pop. There's also something happening where the vocal seems to be overpowering the instrumental until about 0:45, but then things get good, and the transition at circa 1:50 is really nice. I missed the guitar solo the first time through.

Overall an enjoyable genre collision.

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>