(FP) Xouth - Fine Superstition(Chris Brown vs Stevie Wonder

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

(FP) Xouth - Fine Superstition(Chris Brown vs Stevie Wonder

Post Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:23 am

Xouth - Fine Superstition (Chris Brown vs. Stevie Wonder ft. Edwin Starr)

Sources used: Chris Brown - Fine China (Instrumental)
Edwin Starr - War (Acapella)
Stevie Wonder - Superstition (Acapella)

Well I have to say this is my favorite until now, so i hope you enjoy this mashup. :1smiley: :1smiley:

No Flash Installed

Download

Well I think I fixed it Download V2

Download V2.1

Download V2.2

Facebook Soundcloud
Last edited by Xouth on Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Xouth - Fine Superstition (Chris Brown vs. Stevie Wonder ft.

Post Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:59 am

Xouth wrote:i hope you enjoy this mashup.
I did! This is great!

A few things that jumped out at me…you’ve got the majority of Stevie's phrasing laid out the way it is in the original song which is fine, but a few phrases are comparatively late or out of sync.

For example:

The very first “Very superstitious” (0:18) is a beat or two late…ideally he should start singing during the drum fill and the syllable “stit” should land on beat #1.

The second “Very superstitious” (1:09) is in the same boat. After that, the rest of the verses seem to come in on time.

“Thirteen month old baby” (2:24) may be slightly early or too fast. It should swing behind the beat a bit but “baby” seems to land flat on the beat. Probably not as important as the other two, but it did jump out at me.

The rest sounds good. I’m not concerned with you doing all the phrasing “right” so much as it is consistent. Hope that all makes sense.

Also I should point out that the ending is very abrupt. I’m not familiar with this instrumental, but if you made that cut at the end, perhaps you could add a bit of reverb or delay and let it decay for a few seconds.

1 star User

Post Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:08 am

MashGyver wrote:
I did! This is great!

A few things that jumped out at me…you’ve got the majority of Stevie's phrasing laid out the way it is in the original song which is fine, but a few phrases are comparatively late or out of sync.

For example:

The very first “Very superstitious” (0:18) is a beat or two late…ideally he should start singing during the drum fill and the syllable “stit” should land on beat #1.

The second “Very superstitious” (1:09) is in the same boat. After that, the rest of the verses seem to come in on time.

“Thirteen month old baby” (2:24) may be slightly early or too fast. It should swing behind the beat a bit but “baby” seems to land flat on the beat. Probably not as important as the other two, but it did jump out at me.

The rest sounds good. I’m not concerned with you doing all the phrasing “right” so much as it is consistent. Hope that all makes sense.

Also I should point out that the ending is very abrupt. I’m not familiar with this instrumental, but if you made that cut at the end, perhaps you could add a bit of reverb or delay and let it decay for a few seconds.

Thanks Mashgyver I will take your advices, and modify that things :1smiley:

Post Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:05 am

It's a DANDY!! :1shocked:

Make those corrections MashGyver suggested (especially the ending) and I'll be tripping over things to get this rushed to the front page.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.com

Post Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:28 pm

Surprising :1rolleyes: :1cool:
Nice catch here, Xouth, waiting for next version :1wink:

1 star User

Post Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:34 pm

MashGyver wrote:
I did! This is great!

I fixed it :1grin: :1grin:

Post Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:48 pm

The ending is fixed and those lead-in lines are working now, but honestly, I liked version 1 better. It doesn't seem to have the same groove that it used to have. Furthermore, there's some funky timing going on around 0:55-1:03 now that I don't remember from version 1. :1undecided:

I hate it when that happens. :1angry:
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.com

1 star User

Post Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:06 pm

satis5d wrote:The ending is fixed and those lead-in lines are working now, but honestly, I liked version 1 better. It doesn't seem to have the same groove that it used to have. Furthermore, there's some funky timing going on around 0:55-1:03 now that I don't remember from version 1. :1undecided:

I hate it when that happens. :1angry:

So what i have to do? fix the version 1 with the end corrected?

Post Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:15 pm

Wait to hear what Mash and the others say first. I may be all wrong on this. It's going to make the front-page, I'm sure. It's the journey I'm not as sure about. :1wink:

Post Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:26 pm

satis5d wrote:The ending is fixed and those lead-in lines are working now, but honestly, I liked version 1 better. It doesn't seem to have the same groove that it used to have. Furthermore, there's some funky timing going on around 0:55-1:03 now that I don't remember from version 1.

V2 sounds much better! And it doesn’t lose any funkiness to me. The spot at 0:55 is extra funky, and I think that may be why the timing sounds off to satis5d, but I don’t hear anything wrong with it. “13 month old baby” still isn’t in the funkiest spot it could be in, nor is “good things in your past” at 3:01 (I didn’t catch this the first time), but I think those are okay if you leave them alone, honestly.

I feel like the ending still needs another second to decay. It is much better, but still drops off pretty suddenly. How about a version 2.1? :1smiley:

I’m interested to hear what SMASH thinks about the changes...

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>