(FP) Summer Of 69 Secrets (OneRepublic vs. Bryan Adams)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

(FP) Summer Of 69 Secrets (OneRepublic vs. Bryan Adams)

Post Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:13 pm

SMASH - Summer Of 69 Secrets (OneRepublic vs. Bryan Adams)

Instrumental & Vocals: OneRepublic - Secrets (2009)
Vocals: Bryan Adams - Summer of 69 (1985)
Background voices: OneRepublic - If I Lose Myself

Allow me to go back in time to my favorite decade to one of the top hits from the 80's performed by a very unique vocalist, Bryan Adams. I've found "Secrets" from OneRepublic to complete the picture and I think it's working pretty well together, making "Summer Of 69" sounds like a ballad :1rolleyes:
When I start working on this one, I planned to use a bit more of "If I Lose Myself" also from OneRepublic, but I realize that it was already mashed with "Secrets", so I used only the background voices from that song toward the end, so actually you can look at it as A+B. Hope you like it :1wink:

No Flash Installed

Download

Re: SMASH - Summer Of 69 Secrets (OneRepublic vs. Bryan Adams)

Post Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:44 am

I knew I would like this one when I saw the combination of artists (and the mashup artist :1cheesy: )

Absolutely beautiful, SMASH. Definitely going straight to my playlist.

self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.com

Re: (!) Summer Of 69 Secrets (OneRepublic vs. Bryan Adams)

Post Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:15 am

Thank you satis5d for the compliments, and thanks for the recommend :1grin:

Post Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:28 pm

Good mix as always! :1cool:

You know how I feel about songs without definable bridges. The dynamics of the instrumental carry it pretty well though. :1smiley:

The beginning is really strong and pretty. It lost me a little at 2:25 because of the lack of progression change but redeemed itself at the end. :1smiley:

So...4 chord progressions in a major key are way easier to digest than 4 chord minor. Perhaps Mash knows why that is theoretically? Is it the harmonies or overtones or something? :1tongue:

1 star User

Re: (FP) Summer Of 69 Secrets (OneRepublic vs. Bryan Adams)

Post Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:33 pm

Majestic as always Smash! :1grin: Great enjoyable mash from begining to end!

Post Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:09 am

Thanks HCD for the FP :1grin:
Happy Cat Disco wrote:So...4 chord progressions in a major key are way easier to digest than 4 chord minor. Perhaps Mash knows why that is theoretically? Is it the harmonies or overtones or something? :1tongue:

Interesting, let me know what's the conclusion for that :1wink:

richc100 wrote:Majestic as always Smash! :1grin: Great enjoyable mash from begining to end!

Thanks Rich for the compliments :1cheesy:

Post Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:11 pm

Totally digging this one! Great work SMASH

Post Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:58 pm

Happy Cat Disco wrote:So...4 chord progressions in a major key are way easier to digest than 4 chord minor. Perhaps Mash knows why that is theoretically? Is it the harmonies or overtones or something? :1tongue:

Hmmm. Do you have an example of an ‘indigestible' 4-chord minor progression? I mean, overtones are obviously favorable within the resonance of a major chord, but most diatonic major progressions involve a minor chord or two, and most diatonic minor progressions involve two or three major chords, so I don’t know if that’s it…but it might be that we favor resolution to a major chord…But it also might just be something that we’re conditioned to from the style of music we are exposed to, just like the fact that a 7b9#11b13 chord won’t sound good to most of our ears but someone out there totally digs it, man :1tongue:

Modern pop instrumentals in general are meant to be simple, repetitive, and catchy, and let the vocal melody and hooks drive the ship. But that is one reason why there are so many thousands of “low-hanging fruit” mashup combinations that work (This video is a great illustration of that.) Obviously one doesn’t have to climb way up the tree to make a great mashup--the low fruit works just fine, but there is something infinitely more fascinating about the “higher fruit”.

But let’s talk about this mashup, SMASH! Great combo, and not really long enough to get dull and repetitive. If it were mine, I would have tried to work in the Summer Of ‘69 bridge somehow, but I don’t have any idea how to approach that, nor should either of us even worry about it. It’s great, and it’s on the Front Page, where it should be! Nice work!

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>