[FP] Naughtier (Nine Inch Nails vs Beyonce)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

[FP] Naughtier (Nine Inch Nails vs Beyonce)

Post Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:23 pm

Instrumental: Nine Inch Nails Closer

Acapella: Beyonce Naughty Girl

No Flash Installed

Hi guys. This seems like a great place where everyone knows what their talking about. This is only my 3rd mashup so be gentle lol.

Download Link: https://sowndhaus.com/uploads/tracks/16 ... 596001.mp3
Last edited by Vandelay Studios on Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Naughtier (Nine Inch Nails vs Beyonce)

Post Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:58 pm

Solid mashup architecture going on here. I do think Beyonce could stand to have some work done to her vocals (or additional work, if you already put some in) to make them more spacey/dreamy, but this doesn't necessarily have to be done here. It would just be nice, and you can maybe keep this idea in mind for future mashup pairings like this. Some tasteful reverb/chorus, delay, even light overdrive can really make make vocals pop with the right background music behind it.

I'd recommend this, but I notice the player isn't working. I looked through the page's source code to find the link to your track: https://soundcloud.com/user-430654513/naughtier

I forget how to post Soundcloud tracks to the forum to have them play in the on-site player, but it is explained here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1721

Also, you'll need to make your track downloadable on Soundcloud (and post a download link here) to allow the moderator team to front page it!
I am here, and so are you. We can be together at other places, too
Soundcloud
YouTube
Sowndhaus
Facebook

1 star User

Post Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:43 am

Thanks. I didn’t even think about adding reverb to Beyonce. I just spread the acapella out on the instrumental and cut a few seconds out of the instrmental.

The track was already downloadable on soundcloud but i can’t get the player to work on mashstix. I will try the new soundhous site they are talking about and maybe i can add some reverb like you suggested.

Post Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:50 am

First off, Welcome to Mashstix! :1cool:

You'll need to turn on soundcloud download for your track for this to play here on Mashstix.

I went to the track directly for the listen. I think its wonderfully clashy and has some great moments but it feels like the instrumental isn't able to carry the vocals strongly during the verses in my opinion. I'm curious what other think. That said what Yitt has said about adding vocal effects would be a huge improvement should you decide to carry on with the idea. :1smiley:

Post Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:37 am

Welcome aboard :1smiley:
Nice match here, though, I do agree with YITT and HCD about their comments.
I would consider adding some reverb and a bit of delay which might help the vocal get closer to the mental :1wink:

Post Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:19 am

Welcome to Mashstix!

This is fantastic! These two songs are not only a great clash of genres, but also a great match harmonically, which is interesting because they both use very unique, exotic scales. I don’t think I’ve heard anyone successfully mash either of these songs for this reason, so you get big points from me for level of difficulty! I’m curious how exactly you came to match these two songs, if you care to share...

A lot of very cool moments here! Looking forward to the next version!

1 star User

Post Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:25 pm

Thanks everybody. I posted a new version on soundhaus and changed the link. I tried adding reverb and delay to the vocals but I admit I don’t have a lot of experence with that stuff so I hope it sounds okay. I took away the delay at some of the noisy parts of the song like the chorus because it made the vocals harder to hear.

Happy Cat Disco thanks for the feedback. Im not sure what you mean about the instrumental not carrying the vocals?

Mashgyver I had no idea it was such a high level of difficulty. Honestly it was mostly by ear and some dumb luck. I know a little bit about scales and keys but not a lot. I do most everything by ear.

I also added some cover art. I don’t know what I’m doing there either so I hope it doesn’t suck.

Post Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:08 am

Vandelay Studios wrote:Happy Cat Disco thanks for the feedback. Im not sure what you mean about the instrumental not carrying the vocals?

Sorry, I meant the verse sections are not syncopated. The vocals don't lock well until 0:40 when they speed up imho.

2 Star User

Post Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:42 am

:1shocked:
They fit together quite well amazingly, nothing to add the others' comments. Can't wait for the final version, I'm jamming to this :1laugh:
Please visit me at
Hearthis.at
Youtube
Facebook

1 star User

Post Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:19 am

Happy Cat Disco I don’t think your talking about something I can fix…right?

Ryson thank you. I hope this is my final version.

Is the reverb and delay not enough? Too much?

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>