(FP) Don't Be Shy, Let's Touch (Imary/David Bowie/Black Box)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

(FP) Don't Be Shy, Let's Touch (Imary/David Bowie/Black Box)

Post Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:28 pm

satis5d: Don't Be Shy, Let's Touch (Imary vs. David Bowie vs. Black Box)

Another one for the dance floor. :1grin:

Imary - Don't Be So Shy [instrumental and cover instrumental with violin solo]
David Bowie - Let's Dance [acapella]
Black Box - I Don't Know Anybody Else [acapella]

There is a reason why Black Box isn't featured in many mashups. It's the same reason why for most of the song they are subtle and function more as background singers. I've never had to EQ a track so drastically in my life. I think that overall the effect works, though. This one got high marks in the department that counts the most... the home team. :1cheesy:

No Flash Installed

Download
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.com

Re: Don't Be Shy, Let's Touch (Imary / David Bowie / Black Box)

Post Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:09 am

LOVE IT :1cheesy: Nice finding!!

Couple of things:
It sounds like Bowie is starting too early, I mean the first entry at 0:37 is OK, but I think you should use the same phrase "Let's dance" at 0:41, and only at 0:45 you should start with what you have currently at 0:41. Again the same is at 2:21, the first "Let's dance" at 2:14 is OK, use the same phrase the second time at 2:21 and start with the part from 2:21 by moving it to 2:29 (hope I made my point clear).
Also there are some OOK issues starting at 1:30, but you'll need to check it again if you're going to move it forward, not sure how it would sound after that.

Post Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:21 pm

Enjoyed Bowie against the instrumental and I'm sure I would have enjoyed Martha Wash's vocals if I could hear them... A strange disparity of levels, I'm not quite sure what you where attempting to do with that.

Post Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:26 pm

It's gonna be a few days before I can review Satis5d. :1cry:

Post Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:17 am

SMASH, I'll take a look into your timing suggestions but I'm not sure it's going to be an improvement. We'll see.

Lloyd, the only source material I have for Black Box comes from a 12" single "acapella" which not only has high-hats, but other instrumental sounds in there as well which don't add anything to the mix. I did my best to EQ the percussion and instrumental parts out, but that left me with a fairly narrow band of frequency, so I chose to minimize the Black Box acapella parts as background vocals for most of this mashup. It may not be ideal, but I still think it works pretty well.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.com

Post Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:33 pm

That lady is a little off key but still cool. Nice work Satis5d.

Re: (!) Don't Be Shy, Let's Touch (Imary/David Bowie/Black Box)

Post Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:43 am

SMASH,
I've tinkered with this mix to accommodate the changes you were suggesting. Before I make any permanent changes, I wanted to be sure that I am getting it correct. Here is a snippet of what I think you're suggesting...

No Flash Installed

To me, this is no better than the way it was before since now it seems that the parts other than "let's dance" are somewhat off-beat. But I can't say that it makes it sound worse, either. Maybe I'm getting it wrong. :1undecided:

2 Star User

Post Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:09 pm

That's a nice combination. :1smiley:
On my first listen the start of the Imany bass sounded a bit too loud and/or sudden but I got used to it now. I also hear that little key clash as HCD already stated above but it doesn't bother me that much. What I really like most is the violins which bring in some freshness and keep the mash interesting till the end - nice find! :1cool:

Post Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:22 am

Where there’s a Black Box mashup, there’s satis5d! Loving how Bowie and the instrumental cohere, and the fiddle solo is great! Sounds good to me!

EDIT: I went back and tested, and the track isn’t playing on the Front Page for some reason. Gonna contact Paul about it :1huh:

Post Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:08 pm

satis5d wrote:SMASH,
I've tinkered with this mix to accommodate the changes you were suggesting. Before I make any permanent changes, I wanted to be sure that I am getting it correct. Here is a snippet of what I think you're suggesting...

No Flash Installed

Almost :1smiley:
My intention was something like this (ignore the key, you're probably on a different one):

No Flash Installed

Anyway, it is already on the FP and I love it either way :1wink:

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>