Mashoff #36 - Progressive Rock: DJ Firth wins!!!!

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

Vote For Your Favourite Mash

Poll ended at Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:21 pm

A. Das Miles Model - (Kraftwerk vs. Madonna)
13%
B. Hung Black Magic Pipeline (Alan Parsons Project vs Madonna vs Carlos Santana)
17%
C. I Dreamed A Dream of Freedom (Vangelis vs. Lea Michele vs. Irena Menzel vs. Martin Luther King Jr.)
No votes
D. Get Lucky Big Time (Peter Gabriel vs. Daft Punk)
No votes
E. So Sick Of Parabolas (Tool vs. Ne-Yo - So Sick)
8%
F. Big Pressure Thumping Everybody (F. Mercury, D. Bowie, Chumbawamba, Tears For Fears & B. Rexha vs. Muse)
13%
G. Don't Stop Loving Yourself (Justin Bieber vs. Journey)
21%
H. Stand By Your Lonely Heart (Rachel Platten vs. Yes)
17%
I. Die for Mashups (Rush vs. Manowar)
13%

Total votes : 24
1 star User

Re: Mashup Mashoff #36 - Progressive Rock

Post Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:29 am

MashGyver wrote:Well it is YOUR contest, Nerd42! Broader is better -- just trying to keep some order :1smiley:

It's gotta be super broad if we want lots of people to participate, which I understand was important

I'm really hoping somebody will do Rush - 2112 or The Trees

1 star User

Post Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:32 am

Some people have messaged me asking about where you can find progressive rock multitracks

There's been plenty of progressive rock in the Rock Band and Guitar Hero games, so there are lots of multitracks available to make mashups from.
In Rock Band 2, there's Jethro Tull, Kansas, Dream Theater and Yes.
In Rock Band DLC, there's Rush, Jethro Tull, Kansas, Dream Theater, and Yes.
In Rock Band 3, there's Yes.
In Band Hero, there's Styx.
In Guitar Hero 5, there's King Crimson and Rush.
There's also a crap ton of Rush in Guitar Hero 6: Warriors of Rock.

A few things people might try listening to beyond what's in the Rock Band / Guitar Hero games:
1. The Alan Parsons Project instrumentals. They generally had one or more instrumental tracks on each of their albums and these got onto a compilation disc some years ago. It would be awesome if people found vocals to put over those
2. Electric Light Orchestra instrumentals: I found some online. No idea where they came from but there are some good ones in there.
3. Dream Theater's Black Clouds and Silver Linings album. It had an instrumental CD, and full multi-tracks are available for it. They also have some multis up on Jammit only they're super expensive.

Post Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:33 pm

This is a hard Mash-off. :1tongue:

Post Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:14 pm

Happy Cat Disco wrote:This is a hard Mash-off. :1tongue:

Tell me about it! I think I found my combo, but I feel the 20th is gonna be pushing it for me :1smiley:

1 star User

Post Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:59 pm

OK, here is a way to enter that is easy as hell.

Step 1: choose any random hip hop acapella
Step 2: choose a beat from Dert Floyd's West Side of the Moon
Step 3: combine them and say it's a Pink Floyd mashup. Pink Floyd is like the perfect Platonic Form of prog rock

Hey it worked for me

It's not so hard...

Post Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:24 am

This mashup is only hard if you're committed to using only the highest-quality sources. Let's face it, most of Prog Rock seems to be at least 20 years old.

It's just a contest. Make the best you can with the tools available to you. I have not had any problem coming up with options, and my mashup is almost ready for posting.

I didn't use them, but I really wanted to--there are full remix stems for Peter Gabriel's "Shock the Monkey" and "Steam" songs (among others). Each of those has great content for use in this contest. Send me a private message to get the link to these resources. (Shock the Monkey is easy to find with a Google search.)

Hope to have my contest entry up today or tomorrow. Am I eligible to win this month since it's not "my" contest?
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Post Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:13 am

SMASH - Hung Black Magic Pipeline (Alan Parsons Project vs Madonna vs Carlos Santana)

Instrumental: Alan Parsons Project - Pipeline
Acapella: Madonna - Hung Up
Acapella: Carlos Santana - Black Magic Woman

Did someone mentioned Alan Parsons Project?
Well, I just needed to turn my head back towards my CD's cabinet and pull out my Alan's double collection :1smiley:
There were 2 good candidates on the second CD, and I choose Pipeline which is a great instrumental track. After a little search I have found Hung Up by Madonna which initially I had some doubt about it, although I had to reduce her BPM a lot, surprisingly it seems to work pretty well, at least for my taste. It is so magical how the instrumental influence the acapella, in this case it causes Hung Up to keep up with the rhythm very smoothly although the gap in BMP. Adding also Carlos Santana to sing along with the saxophone to complete the story.
So here is my contribution to this contest, hope you like it too :1wink:

No Flash Installed

Download
Last edited by SMASH on Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1 star User

Post Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:23 am

very nice Smash...

welcome to the Madonna-MashOff :1grin: :1laugh:

It's Black History Month

Post Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:38 am

Not sure if I am eligible to win this month, but I will make a submission anyway...

satis5d: I Dreamed A Dream of Freedom (Vangelis / Lea Michele / Irena Menzel / Martin Luther King Jr.)

I'm a big fan of Martin Luther King Jr. (as evidenced by my tribute mashup.) And since this is Black History Month, I thought I'd use the opportunity to share with all of you a bit more of one of the most famous speeches of all time than you tend to hear in a TV soundbite.

So this is a bit on the "inspirational" side, and what better to inspire than "I Dreamed A Dream" from Les Miserables. Finding an acapella was a challenge but I ultimately came up with one from Lea Michele and Irena Menzel performing a duet for an episode of Glee. Add all that to this month's Progressive Rock theme and we have a Vangelis instrumental to make it all work together.

Let me know what you think. And vote for me if you're allowed. :1wink:

Vangelis - Conquest of Paradise [instrumental and background vocals]
Lea Michele and Irena Menzel - I Dreamed A Dream (from Les Miserables) [acapella]
Martin Luther King Jr. - I Have A Dream Speech [acapella]

No Flash Installed

Download
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Post Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:49 am

SMASH wrote:So here is my contribution to this contest, hope you like it too :1wink:

Dang! SMASH, you nailed it with that entry. Well done!

PreviousNext

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>