Mashoff #36 - Progressive Rock: DJ Firth wins!!!!

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

Vote For Your Favourite Mash

Poll ended at Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:21 pm

A. Das Miles Model - (Kraftwerk vs. Madonna)
13%
B. Hung Black Magic Pipeline (Alan Parsons Project vs Madonna vs Carlos Santana)
17%
C. I Dreamed A Dream of Freedom (Vangelis vs. Lea Michele vs. Irena Menzel vs. Martin Luther King Jr.)
No votes
D. Get Lucky Big Time (Peter Gabriel vs. Daft Punk)
No votes
E. So Sick Of Parabolas (Tool vs. Ne-Yo - So Sick)
8%
F. Big Pressure Thumping Everybody (F. Mercury, D. Bowie, Chumbawamba, Tears For Fears & B. Rexha vs. Muse)
13%
G. Don't Stop Loving Yourself (Justin Bieber vs. Journey)
21%
H. Stand By Your Lonely Heart (Rachel Platten vs. Yes)
17%
I. Die for Mashups (Rush vs. Manowar)
13%

Total votes : 24
2 Star User

Re: Mashup Mashoff #36 - Progressive Rock

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:26 pm

Nerd42 wrote:I actually listen to alot more prog rock than I do mashups. Mashups account for probably 90% of my exposure to mainstream pop.

Know your feels, bro. same here
When silly crosses serious... GladiLord is always near. :1grin:

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:38 pm

Nerd42 wrote:I did NOT say it had to be an instrumental. The challenge is to make a mashup involving at least one song by a progressive rock band. I suggested trying instrumentals cause there are alot of those, but there are also alot of acapellas available from the Rock Band and Guitar Hero series.

Also you are not restricted to the bands I listed. For any given band, look them up on Wikipedia. If prog rock or progressive rock is on the list of genres they are associated with then they're a prog rock band and they count for the contest. If you use a hip hop, house or EDM track that samples a prog rock artist then even that counts. It is very broad!

I have a mashup that has a Daft Punk instrumental with prog rock vocals by Styx. That would count

My apologies, Nerd42. I mistakenly concluded that because your primary issue was the music, that the emphasis was on the Prog Rock instrumental. I don't think that anyone will be disappointed to hear that there is no limitation there now, either. Thanks for the clarification. I will make the change to the rules post.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

1 star User

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:22 pm

Thanks. What about my question as to whether it's OK to post links to multitracks in the forum?

I said 90% of my exposure to mainstream pop came from mashups. Most of the other 10% is due to the influence of a certain Mr. Alfred Yankovic of Lynwood, California.

Post Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:24 am

Maybe I can combine a couple progs together.
I am here, and so are you. We can be together at other places, too
Soundcloud
YouTube
Sowndhaus
Facebook

1 star User

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:09 am

Nerd42 wrote:Also you are not restricted to the bands I listed. For any given band, look them up on Wikipedia. If prog rock or progressive rock is on the list of genres they are associated with then they're a prog rock band and they count for the contest. If you use a hip hop, house or EDM track that samples a prog rock artist then even that counts. It is very broad!

I have a mashup that has a Daft Punk instrumental with prog rock vocals by Styx. That would count

Sorry if I appear to be a little special here, but I have a quick question :1grin:
Would using a dance track which has sampled ELO's (progressive rock) Shine A Little Love (symphonic rock) be allowed?

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:48 am

richc100 wrote:Sorry if I appear to be a little special here, but I have a quick question :1grin:
Would using a dance track which has sampled ELO's (progressive rock) Shine A Little Love (symphonic rock) be allowed?

Although ELO did make the list, I'm going to say no to this question. Because then it would basically be sampling a sample. But the easy work-around is to just sample the original ELO song yourself.

1 star User

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:26 pm

Kraftwerk ... the Grandfathers of electronic Musik
If you mean this is progRock... here is my entry :1rolleyes:

Kraftwerk - The Model
Madonna - Miles Away

No Flash Installed

DL: https://hearthis.at/matzemix/model-madonna/download/
Last edited by Matze-Mix on Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

1 star User

Post Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:17 am

Yes, clearly yes, I addressed this specifically earlier.

Although ELO did make the list, I'm going to say no to this question. Because then it would basically be sampling a sample.
And what's wrong with that? Every Daft Punk mashup does it, as do many hip hop mashups.

If you use the instrumental of Daft Punk's "Face to Face" then that totally counts, cause it samples ELO.

The parameters of the contest are defined pretty broadly.

Kraftwerk ... the Grandfathers of electronic Musik
If you mean this is progRock
Close enough I guess. They certainly use alot of the same vintage equipment

Post Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:38 am

Nerd42 wrote:And what's wrong with that? Every Daft Punk mashup does it, as do many hip hop mashups.

If you use the instrumental of Daft Punk's "Face to Face" then that totally counts, cause it samples ELO.

The parameters of the contest are defined pretty broadly.

Well it is YOUR contest, Nerd42! Broader is better -- just trying to keep some order :1smiley:

1 star User

Post Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:50 am

Thanks for the responses mashgyver and nerd42, will work with what I've got :1smiley:

PreviousNext

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>