**Mashstix: How to Post Your Track (Please Read)**

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
Site Admin

**Mashstix: How to Post Your Track (Please Read)**

Post Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:03 pm

*EDIT* Feb 23 2016: Sherlock Poirot here. Since SoundCloud downloads require a SoundCloud account, I've removed it as a permissible hosting site. In addition, the submission forum is for new mashups only. If your mashup is a few days/weeks/months old, we can let that pass within reason. However, if your submission is two years old, quit before you start.

OK so it's time to update this thread... Hi guys, it's me (lloyd) not Paul :1grin:

I'm going to make this as simple as posible, So here goes.

We have a prefered method of posting at Mashstix and by prefered I mean you do it this way or don't bother posting here. :1laugh:

This is a template that shows the prefered format for submitting your mashes....

In The Subject Bar

Producer's Name - Track Name (Source A vs Source B vs Source C)
ex. Dj Dylan - Miley Is My Girl (Miley Cyrus vs. The Rolling Stones)

That is all we wish to see, nothing else, No "new bomb!!"

Now the actual post:

First post your cover art. Please link to your cover art rather than adding it as an attachment. It's easy to do it's just a matter of copying image location from your mp3 hosting site. Stick that location between the Img tags. It will look something like this:

Next, Write the name you wish your track to be labelled as if it is lucky enough to make it onto our frontpage

Producer's Name - Track Name (Source A vs Source B vs Source C)

Next, List all sources used;

Artist - Title instrumental
Artist - Title Acapella
Artist - Title Acapella
Artist - Title Guitar etc...

Next add any information you feel is relevant and/or important.

I used my all time favorite singer Miley Cyrus because I love her!! I used Abelton along with various filter/pan proggies and this is dedicated to my little sister who is ten. This is my first mashup...Blah blah blah...

Next and most important add a preview player;

HOW TO INSERT A PREVIEW PLAYER

Step 1: click the [MP3PREVIEW] tag button

now you should see something like this....
[MP3PREVIEW][/MP3PREVIEW]

so obviously you need to stick your mp3 link between the two tags...

[MP3PREVIEW]STICK MP3 URL HERE[/MP3PREVIEW]

Step 2: a couple of rules apply here..

RULE 1: Use one of the services listed in the next section. If you are unsure as to whether a hosting site is permitted, ask a mod here.

RULE 2: For Hearthis.at tracks MAKE SURE YOU ENABLE DOWNLOAD. If you don't enable download then no one but you will be able to stream it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

PERMITTED HOSTING SITES

This is a list of sites that have the ability to stream here on MashStix and the ones we'd like you to use.

If you want your tracks to be streamable in the forums and be Frontpage friendly, they need to be hosted on one of the following sites (and be mp3. Wavs won't stream here). Also remember the link between the [mp3preview] tags should end in /download (for hearthis.at)? Funnily enough, that means a download, not a stream. A stream here is a download there.

1. Hearthis.at

Hearthis.at is a new hosting site which at the moment is both free and unlimited. We at Stix are very happy with it so far and would urge people to open an account with them, even if you keep your souncloud account open because it comes with none of the hassle of soundcloud there are no limits and at the moment no tracks have been deleted due to copyright. Quick ammendment to this we may need to find a new hosting site as they have just announced they are going the way of soundcloud and limiting plays for none premium users. We'll keep you posted.

To post from Hearthis.at;
UPDATE 1/28/16: As HearThis.at has changed their site slightly, the below screen no longer exists. You may either copy the URL from the track itself and add "/download" to the end of it, or right-click the Download button and choose "copy link address".

When you click a song's download button at HearThis, you now get a screen like this one.

right-click the "click here to download" button "copy link address".

Here's my demonstration using "When I'm Hurt." The code:

Code: Select all
[MP3PREVIEW]http://src.hearthis.at/download/?track=sherlockpoirot/when-im-hurt-anna-kendrick-vs-johnny-cash[/MP3PREVIEW]

2. Your own site

If you operate your own website (and haven't placed any restrictions on downloading, obviously), you're more than welcome to use this.

To post from your own website

This should be very simple, just make sure your link has .mp3 at the end and you're good to go.

3. Dropbox

This is fast becoming the most effective method available for everyone here - unlimited downloads/streams, free accounts get 2 GB space, there's no Content ID system so it won't get flagged as copyrighted and blocked and if you say a friend recommended you, they get more space. The only downside to this is you can't track the number of downloads or streams.

To post from your dropbox

1. Upload your mashup and click 'share link' so that you then get to a page where it titles the track and has a download button, essentially the page you would send to someone.

(eg: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ejucw23971p6 ... hup%29.mp3)

2. Copy the URL which should look like "https://www.dropbox.com/s/__________________.mp3"

3. Replace the 'https://dropbox.com/s/' with 'https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/'

So for example:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ejucw23971p6 ... hup%29.mp3

Would change to be

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/9ej ... hup%29.mp3

Cyberlockers such as Zippyshare, Hulkshare, Mediafire etc are simply not permitted. This is due to a variety of reasons (such as automatic deletion after a period of inactivity, hard to find actual streamable mp3 link, possibility of being shut down..) so please avoid using them. As mentioned above, there are other free options you can use.

There may be other sites that I've missed or that appear so if you want confirmation of it before you submit your track, let me or one of the mods know and we can test it.

Next, all posts must include a download link, we would prefer (there's that word again) that members use exactly the same link for downloads that they used in their preview player; by which i mean with the
/download prefix, this will ensure that tracks can be downloaded without a need for members to leave our site.

Lastly if you wish to add a video to your post add it at the bottom. I'll leave you to figure out how to do this, we do have a video forum however this "submit" forum is for audio not visuals so please don't make any post in it that doesn't contain an audio track.

...and If you follow all that, you'll end up with a perfect post that looks like this - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16227

Thanks Guys, I hope that made everything clear.

Lloyd

OK Now I've updated all this, please ingore all the replies below that pre-date the 1st of November 2013 :1wink:

All Star User

Re: MP3 PLAYER IN YOUR POSTS (1st time posters READ THIS please)

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:11 pm

Also, if you're wondering how to post a download link to your Official.fm track into the word "Download" rather than the whole URL appearing then see below instructions. (Thanks goes out to Paul Stix for this tip.)

1. Copy and paste the below link:
[url=http://official.fm/tracks/2l6f/file]Download[/url]

2. IMPORTANT - Change the track number to your track number

3. Click on the Preview button to see how it looks and if it looks good and your done with your post then click on Submit button.

and then it should look like the below link with one word "Download"
>>Download<<

that's it! :)

2 Star User

Post Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:38 pm

Paul Stix wrote:Step 3: For Official.fm links
most Official.fm track links look like this..
http://official.fm/tracks/88187

so you notice that there is no .mp3.... also Official.fm has increased their stream protection but its very easy to override... so EVERY Official.fm link has to end in /download?pwd=.mp3...

Maybe a stupid question, but for now my players work fine with only typing /download behind the Official.fm link. I have to change that in the future? :?

Post Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:55 pm

Nope... it was once neccessary to add /download?pwd.mp3 now just /download works :D

All Star User

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:41 am

Yup, neither need .mp3 anymore just the /download at the end of the url. So, I updated the original post to reflect the new syntax and cleaned up the how to a bit, fix the broken links to the examples, washed the car, fed the dog, watered the plants... :P

1 star User

Re: Adding an MP3 preview player to your post - All Please Read

Post Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:02 pm

Quick question... This may have been asked before so I apologize in advance.

Are there any plans for a frontpage system that doesnt require the download tag to be placed after soundcloud links?

I ask because it really throws off your stats since listens are counted as downloads.

Its a little odd to look at your tracks and see a couple hundred listens and a couple thousand downloads.

I have seen many blogs with the ability to have soundcloud tags that allow for the individual player and even those nice looking widgets.

Any plans for tweaking the system so we can get a more accurate representation of actual traffic to our tracks?
Check out my latest... David Austin - Icarus' Last Dance
http://soundcloud.com/david-austin

3 Star User
Location: The uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Post Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:05 am

Us mods use the links we're given - if you provide a SoundCloud link as the mp3 preview in the post, that's what we'll use. I agree, it's a bugger when you see your stats messed up - that's why I use Official.fm as well :D

Yes, I suppose the only way around this would be to have it embedded or as a widget instead, but if we do that, we might as well have that in the forum as well and to add this all in would take time - time I don't think Paul has. Also, we FP links from all over the place. People have their own sites, Official.fm, SoundCloud etc, so if we enable a SC widget/embed on the FP, it can soon get pretty untidy with all the different styles on there.

Another thing to consider is that we (or at least, I) try to avoid FPing SoundCloud links in the first place - if you have a free account, you're limited to 100 downloads and with the traffic on this site, that'll burn up in a few days and then we have a dead link to remove/change. I know you have unlimited downloads, but other people don't. Yes, I know they can upgrade your account to enable more downloads, and while 1000 isn't as likely to run out on here, if you've got the money to upgrade accounts, why not upgrade your Official.fm account? Yes, it's not a pretty fix, but it does the job.

Another another thing is that Yes, we could just provide the URL without the 'download' at the end, but I can't see people being too happy about jumping through hoops to download a song they want - much better to have a listen and download in one place on the same page which brings me back to my second point - the widgets. Possible, but not probable.

tl;dr - probably not.

Post Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:25 am

I don't like to speak for Paul but i would suggest the "tweeks" that you are refering to will never happen.
I visit many many music sites that have a "frontpage" and almost all have a uniform look about them... they maintain that uniform look by standardising their links, this is usually done in a few ways; one by stealing the submitters track and hosting it themself or by asking the submitter to post to one of the shareware sites (hulkshare, zippyshare, tunescoop...) None of these options are as good as the one we offer here, here at least all musical content is coming from the artist and they still have control, If they wish to stop sharing their track they can, I know it's not ideal to not know exactly how many downloads are actual downloads but surely that is better than not knowing at all and having no control over your own work.

1 star User

Re: How to post your track - All Please Read

Post Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:48 am

Thanks for the nice information in the post...

Re: How to post your track - All Please Read

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:12 pm

Hi guys, a quick addition to this post

Due to the now slightly shorter subject bar at the top of your posts, please could you all now add "Producer's Name - Track Name (Sources Used)" into the main body of your posts... thanks guys :1smiley:

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>