Transposing in Ableton - Help?

Tutorials to help you get the best out of your mixing progies. Please feel free to ask any mixing/editing/production problem questions here.
1 star User

Transposing in Ableton - Help?

Post Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:37 am

Hey guys,
Seing as I have no background from music, I have set myself up with a piano and I have been trying to read up on some easy musical theory to get a better understanding of mixing harmonically and how music works in general. But I am having a real hard time grasping transposing/detuning and the info I find on google isnt doing much to help (probably cause I am blissfully unaware of what to search for).
Doesnt help that I struggle to do this by ear either :1cry:

So I've used the Camelot Wheel, or the circle of fifths. As I understand it, it is a tool meant to give you a better oversight of which keys that fit harmonically.

So If I have a song in F major or 7B, i means it will mix harmonically with 8B, 6B and 7A.
So far so good. I've learned that when transposing clockwise you have to add a negative value in ableton, and the opposite when going counterclockwise. I also know that you cant transpose minor chords to be majors and vice versa.

My problem starts when I have a song for in 8B and I want to change it to 4B. That means I have to move '4 hours" clockwise. In ableton I will then use the transpose function and insert -4.
Or If I want to go from 5B to 10B I enter +5
Is this correct? Its hard to hear if I am doing it correctly, as I am tonedeaf in the first place.
Is a '1 hour shift' on the wheel always equal to a +-1 on the transpose button?
Some of the stuff I am reading makes it seem like it varies, but that doesnt make sense either.

Anyone able to explain this in very layman's terms, or direct me to a beginners guide on this? I really wanna get the hang of it!

Cheers

Re: Transposing in Ableton - Help?

Post Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:28 pm

We had a similar question a few months ago. See if this thread is of any help:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=23906

I made a revised wheel about 7 posts down the thread.

1 star User

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:48 pm

MashGyver wrote:We had a similar question a few months ago. See if this thread is of any help:

Thanks - But I didnt find the answer to my question.
As straight forward as I can be my question is this: when transposing in ableton, you can put negative or positive values (+ or -). When I put +, do I move counter-clockwise in the picture I linked in OP and vice verce?

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:21 pm

b_romeo wrote:
MashGyver wrote:We had a similar question a few months ago. See if this thread is of any help:

Thanks - But I didnt find the answer to my question.
As straight forward as I can be my question is this: when transposing in ableton, you can put negative or positive values (+ or -). When I put +, do I move counter-clockwise in the picture I linked in OP and vice verce?

Sorry, there's a lot to take in there. Use the revised wheel I made on the 7th post of the thread. The Camelot Wheel is not the most user-friendly tool when it comes to transposition. This should be much more helpful:

Return to Mixing Tuts and Stix Support Center