mashstix relaunch... or new site

Talk about the mashup scene or anything you want. Section includes Lloyd Recommends and the Monthly Challenges
Site Admin

mashstix relaunch... or new site

Post Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:32 am

Hi guys,

edit: to do list - https://public.3.basecamp.com/p/2fu7exq ... uoe95EUngu

First I want to say thank you to each and every mod as you guys have been keeping this site alive for years.

I've recently had some time to come back to mashstix and take a look behind the scenes and I've come to the conclusion that this site needs a rework or relaunch.

The old site uses phpbb (third party forum software that I slightly modified) along with the 'frontpage' which uses mainly custom jquery and php. Again, both parts are a complete mess and to be honest, way behind times.

I'm also of the opinion that php frameworks absolutely suck ass. Wordpress, joomla, drupal, even this forum is techinally a php framework.

So... moving forward

The first major change is that the site will be one (unlike the current site which is part frontpage and a separate part which is the forum). That means pretty much means that the forum will be replaced by a commenting system which you see on sites like soundcloud. It will be basic to start but I can build upon it's complexity as we feel.

To be honest I have actually started coding a new site from scratch.. here is what I have done so far:

Frontend:
Vue.js - love this library, especially with more complex dependencies like Vuex, vue router and so on. It's one of the 3 main modern frameworks and it's my favorite (react and angular are the other two)

Layout and design - use a combination of custom css, some parts of bootstrap/vuetify and CSS Grid. Colors so far are from my favorite keyboard keycap theme (I believe it's called GMK Bento)

Backend:
Authentication - Based on how much php forums and the like are hacked and spammed.. this is the only part of the site that I am going 3rd party. And I'm using Firebase by Google which is also a very modern product. Basically data will be sent to firebase to register or login a user... that's really it

PDO and PHP - I dislike working on the backend but it always has to be done and the database will be MySQL as the more modern ones are too expensive at the moment. and the REST api is handled by custom php and PDO code.

Ok, so the first question for you guys is do we put the new site on mashstix.com or create a new domain (ex. mashuparecoolandblabla.com)

Also, is this where we should keep this discussion (or some other place that we can post) as I definitely want your feedback and questions.

- Paul Stix

Re: mashstix relaunch... or new site

Post Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:10 am

Paul Stix wrote:Ok, so the first question for you guys is do we put the new site on mashstix.com or create a new domain (ex. mashuparecoolandblabla.com)

Also, is this where we should keep this discussion (or some other place that we can post) as I definitely want your feedback and questions.

Hey Paul! Great to hear from you! This is awesome news.

Don't have much time at the moment, but I wanted to ask what the plan will be with the old/existing site? Will you nuke it altogether? Or just keep it the way it is and try to shift focus to the new site? I would vote for keeping the mashstix.com URL for the new site and maybe having a link to, for instance "old.mashstix.com" for reference/posterity might be a good idea if that's the case. Or will you moving all the forum and frontpage database to the new site? Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions--all this stuff is pretty foreign to me. :1tongue:

Site Admin

Post Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:46 am

MashGyver wrote:
Don't have much time at the moment, but I wanted to ask what the plan will be with the old/existing site? Will you nuke it altogether? Or just keep it the way it is and try to shift focus to the new site?

I want to nuke it completely but I understand that the /forum part has a lot of history in it and it would be a shame to just get rid of it. Remember that the new site already has a new user management/login system (so this forum creds won't work) as well as new databases for track info, comments, user info, etc.

MashGyver wrote:
Or just keep it the way it is and try to shift focus to the new site? I would vote for keeping the mashstix.com URL for the new site and maybe having a link to, for instance "old.mashstix.com" for reference/posterity might be a good idea if that's the case.

I agreed that the mashstix.com url should probably be used. I will not be keeping the old 'frontpage' as the new one mimics it a lot as far as ux/ui.

MashGyver wrote:
Or will you moving all the forum and frontpage database to the new site? Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions--all this stuff is pretty foreign to me.

Nothing will be moved. Everything is being rewritten from scratch. The only thing I am taking from the old site is the databases which stored the frontpaged tracks and importing them into the new db schemas.

It's hard for me to give an overview for the new site as I would be writing a lot. I'm wondering if I make a video of my desktop so you guys can see what I have so far.

Site Admin

Post Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:42 pm

Made a quick desktop video of what I have so far...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qApFLSAbZ6w

Post Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:02 pm

As far as I'm concerned, it's your baby so you can do with it as you please. If the new site has the same basic functionality (1. A collection of high-quality front-paged mashups dating back almost a decade and 2. The opportunity to give assistance and feedback to those posting their mashups) then I'm fine with it.

I do feel strongly that the new site should retain the mashstix.com address and that the old site be moved to a new name which is linked from the new site. There is a lot of value to the history of the site as many mashup legends have posted their work here over the years. As a newcomer it's exciting to be a part of that history.

Mashup enthusiasm seems to be in decline and has been for a few years now. Especially since SoundCloud started removing content due to copyright infringements. Until mashups emerge from the legal gray area they currently exist in, the decline may continue for a while. My point in bringing this up is that it's kind of like when a church congregation decides to sell their old building and valuable land to build a new church a few miles away. It seems like everyone would make the move to the shiny new digs, but many people instead see it as an opportunity to move on to something or somewhere else. Keeping as much of the history of mashstix apparent will help people stay. Migrating to a new url address would at this time (IMHO) be potentially fatal to the site.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Post Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:05 pm

With that said, I'm genuinely excited about the changes and improvements that the new site will introduce. :1smiley:
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Post Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:10 pm

I'm curious as to how the comments portion of the new site will work to identify "front page" quality work from "newbie's first mashup". Will there still be a moderator system? Will mashups be identified as having been vetted by the Mods in some way? If not, then how will Mashstix differentiate itself from the likes of SowndHaus.audio?

Also, will producers be able to replace their original work with a version 2, 3, 4, etc?

Site Admin

Post Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:27 pm

satis5d wrote:As far as I'm concerned, it's your baby so you can do with it as you please. If the new site has the same basic functionality (1. A collection of high-quality front-paged mashups dating back almost a decade and 2. The opportunity to give assistance and feedback to those posting their mashups) then I'm fine with it.

Yes, it will still work on the same concept but without an actual forum. There are 3 types of users.. not- signed in, signed in and moderators. For example, signed in users can upload a mashup for review and moderators can do the same but also have the power to move a track to the frontpage. Again, very similar concept as to what happends here now.

satis5d wrote:I do feel strongly that the new site should retain the mashstix.com address and that the old site be moved to a new name which is linked from the new site. There is a lot of value to the history of the site as many mashup legends have posted their work here over the years. As a newcomer it's exciting to be a part of that history.

I think that I agree. I might keep the forum on the /forum url but people might become confused as the new user system will not work with the forum user system... so logging in on the forum will not log you in on the other system. I want to get away from forums and third party garbage because of all the hackers and spammers. Someone even managed to sneak in a bitcoin miner into the forum code a few months back.

satis5d wrote:
Mashup enthusiasm seems to be in decline and has been for a few years now. Especially since SoundCloud started removing content due to copyright infringements. Until mashups emerge from the legal gray area they currently exist in, the decline may continue for a while. My point in bringing this up is that it's kind of like when a church congregation decides to sell their old building and valuable land to build a new church a few miles away. It seems like everyone would make the move to the shiny new digs, but many people instead see it as an opportunity to move on to something or somewhere else. Keeping as much of the history of mashstix apparent will help people stay. Migrating to a new url address would at this time (IMHO) be potentially fatal to the site.

more good points. I certainly don't want people to leave... but at the moment using mashstix is difficult. I would like to be able to use it similarly like I use youtube for music. And, yes one of the major selling points of mashstix is that the moderators are (and have been) very knowledgeable when it comes to mashup advice and the art of knowing what makes a good mash in the first place.

Site Admin

Post Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:32 pm

satis5d wrote:I'm curious as to how the comments portion of the new site will work to identify "front page" quality work from "newbie's first mashup". Will there still be a moderator system? Will mashups be identified as having been vetted by the Mods in some way? If not, then how will Mashstix differentiate itself from the likes of SowndHaus.audio?

Made a vid to explain the process so far...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsUXUhW9vms

Before the vid, I made two users... regularuser@mashstix.com and moderator@mashstix.com:

- first I log in with regular user and upload a mashup for review
- than i logout and log back in with moderator and frontpage the track

satis5d wrote:Also, will producers be able to replace their original work with a version 2, 3, 4, etc?
[/quote]

I'll need your help to come up with a plan for multiple versions. Right now I know for sure there will be a 24 ban between submissions as (in the past) a new user might sign up and upload their entire catalog (which we don't want)

Post Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:08 pm

There's a lot to like from that demo. It's going to make the moderator's job a lot easier. :1cool:

However, I didn't see anything that gives me confidence that if a submitted track has needed improvements that the old version can be replaced with a new one. Better yet, we can currently post all versions of the track here so that one can follow the progress of the track from version 1 to the Front-Page version. I'd hate to lose that ability.

I didn't see you demonstrate it, but I assume that other members (not just moderators) can still comment on anyone's tracks and that all members can see the "Under Review" section of the site. It would be nice to be able to add more sources (perhaps a "+" symbol) for those times when mashups have more than 3 sources. But there might need to be a limit to that. Some of the multimashes have a pretty long list of sources.

Not trying to make you work harder, but I'm pretty passionate about this site and I'd like it to be the best it can be moving forward. :1wink:

Next

Return to Stix chat