Hall & Oates Vs David Bowie SOURCES SWAPPED!

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
2 Star User

Hall & Oates Vs David Bowie SOURCES SWAPPED!

Post Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:23 pm

I was wanting to mix something with Out Of Touch for awhile ever since downloading the lead vocal of said song, Unfortunately it's without the backing vocals so I kind of just want to call this Daryl Hall Vs AC/DC haha, Hope you enjoy it! Due to Hells Bells being A Dorian and Out Of Touch being A Minor had to move the F's to F#'s, So their might be some weird sounding artifacts due to Melodyne, Plus Daryl Hall has a lot of Soul in his voice kind of reminds me of a more tenor version of Huey Lewis. There is a nice little tribute to Wilford Brimley in the intro who died recently, There is also a theme in this mash and that's of time eventually running out or ending.

UPDATE: CVS mentioned Let's Dance instead of Hells Bells so I replaced AC/DC with David Bowie, I was wanting to add a ACDC Solo to play alongside the Stevie Ray Vaughn solo but that would have been way too much.

Sources Used
David Bowie Let's Dance Instrumental and Some Vocals.
Hall & Oates Out Of Touch Daryl Hall Lead Vocal only

V1

No Flash Installed

V1 Download
https://sowndhaus.audio/uploads/tracks/ ... 974431.mp3

V2 Fixed Sour Notes

No Flash Installed

V2 Download
https://sowndhaus.audio/uploads/tracks/ ... 084276.mp3

V3 Improved Repitching and Timing

No Flash Installed

V3 Download
https://sowndhaus.audio/uploads/tracks/ ... 476832.mp3

V3.5 David sings entire chorus plus Hall sings chorus after David is done.

No Flash Installed

V3.5 Download
https://sowndhaus.audio/uploads/tracks/ ... 509402.mp3
Last edited by TheRayMan on Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Re: Hall & Oates Vs AC/DC Out Of Bells

Post Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:06 am

It sounds like the timing and phrasing are off but to be honest, I'm not sure if the energy would work if the timing was fixed. The vocals don't have that grit behind them I personally think would be needed to complement the instrumental. I like the thought of the pairing though.

Re: Hall & Oates Vs AC/DC Out Of Bells

Post Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:38 am

I also hear the timing and phrasing issues, but I am gonna disagree with Happy Disco, with my opinion that if this was spot on in timing/placement throughout that it would sound great, as it already does to me when it's all on point; I get a good vibe in how his vocals sit with the music behind him. I think his softer singing parts fit well enough, but it's those less frequent but important moments in his singing of bringing up his energy here and there that also happen, and if they hit exactly on with the beat it'd sound great.

So up to you on this one if you wanted to tighten it up, but I think it'd work well. Also, the spoken intro part is nice.

Also on the side, I did hear an odd Melodyne pitch event @ 1:30 with some fluttering of pitch. I'm not sure what DAW you use for mashups, but (if possible) have you tried simply isolating a note in your editor and pitching it up/down as needed manually? This would eliminate Melodyne getting too creative with what you want it to do.

2 Star User

Re: Hall & Oates Vs David Bowie SOURCES SWAPPED!

Post Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:21 am

Update Hells Bells has been replaced by Let's Dance Kudos to CVS for the idea and inspiration, Comment and Critique once you get the chance!

Post Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:20 am

Cool.
The verse needs some phrasing work, sound like the vocals are a few beats early. I would check the original Out of touch and find the down beats to fix this. That said, The idea during the verses is fantastic. I think once they are fixed you'll have something pretty solid.

Unfortunately, The chorus section is out of key. It's like it should work in a C#maj which is relative to the vocals Bbm but something happens during the F and G major chords that clash. I'm no sure what to do there. I not even sure what key the chorus is in to make a solid recommendation for you dude. This is MashGyver territory. :1cool:

I'll be back in 2 weeks. Good luck! I'll try to keep and eye on this one.

2 Star User

Post Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:30 am

I am sorry, but this is a complete mess.

2 Star User

Post Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:18 pm

Sorry if you feel that way but I disagree it has loads of potential to be awesome, Fixed the timing and sour notes by looking up and purchasing the sheet music and the PDF's of said sheet music, Then I repitched the according notes that needed it, Comment and Critique once you get the chance thanks again!

Post Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:47 am

Well I certainly like the source material and the ambition, RayMan. "Let's Dance" is a song I haven't been able to conquer myself yet because of that key change at the chorus. The B♭ minor verses are simple enough, but then at the chorus it goes up a fourth (and to relative major) :1angry: So you're now in A♭ major. :1shocked: You might be able to tweak some H&O pitches as the two keys share a lot of notes, but I am not optimistic that that would work well. Swapping to another H&O song at the chorus would be fun, or just leaving the Bowie chorus in there and working the Out Of Touch chorus in there somewhere else.

As far as the timing, the vocals come in late--they should come right after the "Let's Dance" sung line at 0:25. Start with that and see if you can get things in sync.

2 Star User

Post Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:22 pm

Added way more Bowie than in the previous two versions, I did a 50/50 split on the chorus Daryl sings first then David sings the remainder of the chorus, There were some lines that were still off beat so those got fixed, Comment and critique once you get the chance!

2 Star User

Post Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:49 pm

V3.5 is now on the OP, Features David singing the entire chorus, Plus corrected timing, I hope you enjoy and thanks to everyone for the critique and Talk Hard Productions via Sowndhaus, Some of the changes were based on his draft edit, Don't forget comment and critique thanks again!

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>