CVS - La Vie En Becose (Afroman,Nate Dogg, Grace Jones)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
2 Star User

CVS - La Vie En Becose (Afroman,Nate Dogg, Grace Jones)

Post Sat May 23, 2020 10:01 am

sources:
Afroman - Because I Got High (clean acapella) G Major (Melodyne) E minor (Serato Studio)
Grace Jones - La Vie En Rose (instrumental 7 minute plus version) G Major (Mel) E minor (Serato)
Nate Dogg - last, censored line from The Next Episode (clean acapella)

version 4
Thanks for your new review Firth.
I still think the keys of mental and pella are the same, so the pitch problem that Dumpz heard must be in the coupling of the chords in the early versions. Also could be relative minor+ major issue.
So in version 4 I reused a part from the intro. This means the 1:20 point is later now.
I put the vocal back on the version 1 spot in the first halve and corrected the two beats that Firth suggested. Keep in mind, that Afroman's singing style is 'different' and can sound OOKy by itself. Because of the new structure I changed the outro as well.

No Flash Installed

download-version-4

===================
older versions : (all deleted now to make room on my dropbox)
version 3 Thanks DJ Firth for your new review and tip, and DJ Dumpz for your review and phrasing tip
Melodyne analyzed both sources as G major; perhaps Afroman is E minor, because of his lyrics.
There is a melodic (la dada da da daa) fit I think, but in the original version Afroman sounds pitchy anyway.

version 2: Thanks DJ Firth for your review and tip.
I added one bar (= 4 beats) at 1:18 (just before 'run from the cops' bit), creating a small break.

version 1:
Shortened mental about 4 minutes (!), but still used the outro. Overdubbed Nate Dogg there with his advice on getting high.
Tiny bit more bass in mental to get in the direction of the Afroman mental.
Last edited by CVS on Tue May 26, 2020 11:29 am, edited 7 times in total.

Re: La Vie En Becose (Afroman + Nate Dogg + Grace Jones)

Post Sun May 24, 2020 10:24 am

Fun mash dude!

Only thing is you loose the chord progression of the pella about 1:20 through the song as the instrumental stays on for an extra bar after the chorus. So basically the vocal is 4 beats too early from that point onwards.

Delay the pella by 4 beats/1 bar at that point and the pella will match back up to the chord progression and fit much better for the rest of the song then it would be a recommend from me :1cool:

2 Star User

Re: La Vie En Becose (Afroman + Dogg + Grace Jones)

Post Sun May 24, 2020 1:01 pm

Thanks DJ Firth for your great and specific help, a new version 2 with a one-bar-break in the vocal is now in the O.P.

3 Star User

Post Sun May 24, 2020 4:08 pm

Hm...for me this only works till 0:13 because then it's ook. Either your keys mentioned in the OP are not correct or the chord progressions are clashing... :1undecided:

Post Sun May 24, 2020 4:50 pm

Sorry to do this but the vocals are actually now 2 beats too late from 1:20 :1embarassed:
It was 2 beats too early not 4, my bad sorry

If you move the vocals forward 2 beats then the placement will be fixed and sound more natural.

Also re the keys; that's never been a strength of mine so hopefully some more folk here can shed some light on that and offer advice :1smiley:

2 Star User

Post Mon May 25, 2020 2:14 am

Thanks DJ Firth and DJ Dumpz, new version 3, now two beats later than v1, but for the FULL song is in the O.P.
I hope this new phrasing fixes things.

Post Mon May 25, 2020 10:32 am

CVS wrote:Thanks DJ Firth and DJ Dumpz, new version 3, now two beats later than v1, but for the FULL song is in the O.P.
I hope this new phrasing fixes things.

Why did you do it for the full song? :1laugh: it's now good from 1:20 onwards but the first part now doesn't match up :1undecided:

Altering the vocal placement doesn't fix the pitching issue dumpz is mentioning unfortunately.

2 Star User

Re: CVS - La Vie En Becose (Afroman,Nate Dogg, Grace Jones)

Post Tue May 26, 2020 6:46 am

Thanks DJ Firth for your review on version 3, I fixed the timing in first part, repeated that first part under the second verse, moved the phrasing by that, also the old 1:20 mark that is now later in the mashup. Because of the extra intro, the outro has been changed as well.
New version is in O.P.

Post Tue May 26, 2020 10:05 am

Good job fixing the placement :1cool:

Hopefully one of our pitch pro's can offer some advise re the key; I have a hunch that the Grace Jones track is actually C Major rather then G Major hence why some of the notes don't match but some of them do.

2 Star User

Post Tue May 26, 2020 11:00 am

Serato Studio puts both La Vie En Rose and Afroman on E minor, so the relative minor of G major (that was determined by Melodyne for both).
Let's wait for the pitch pro's....
... and I got some other projects rolling. :1wink:

I am working in Acid Pro Next Suite for this. I have the 'keep formants when stretching' ON, even now I am NOT changing the key of the track. Afroman is about 4-5 percent slower, Acid is on ' keep pitch when changing speed'.

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>