[FP]MG - Carry On, Super Freak (Rick James vs. Kansas)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
2 Star User

Re: MG - Carry On, Super Freak (Rick James vs. Kansas)

Post Fri May 01, 2020 9:27 pm

satis5d wrote:Image

Even with its minor flaws this is better than 80-90% of what is on the Front Page as-is. It's worth a recommend based on the cover art alone! :1grin:

If I may... for those who think that this or any other MashGyver mashup is TOO LONG. Mashups are kind of like wall art. There are popular paintings, mass produced and seen by millions in homes all over the world. And then there are paintings that are often very large and are found only in art museums. MashGyver makes the museum-type mashups. I rarely listen to MashGyver's art on a day-to-day basis. But every now and then I get the urge to "go to the museum" and delight myself in the art form that is MashGyver's alone. And when one goes to a museum, one appreciates the size and grandeur of the art there especially because it was made for just such purposes. His work is not often dance hall pop (like mine tends to be), he makes a few spectacular pieces per year for which I am quite appreciative. Appreciate the art form for what it is. His work is rare art, well worth the price of a few (or even quite a few) minutes. :1smiley:

Sometimes I try to stay away from pop myself ocasionally I will do it, CVS and MG here are my four biggest influences Warezio and TheTable as well, I always go for a challenging FP, Angus does as well his work is incredible I can only hope to take what he has done and learn from it, Learn how to get a mix FP'd in less than 3 versions at least haha.

Re: MG - Carry On, Super Freak (Rick James vs. Kansas)

Post Sat May 02, 2020 12:36 am

satis5d wrote:Image

Even with its minor flaws this is better than 80-90% of what is on the Front Page as-is. It's worth a recommend based on the cover art alone! :1grin:

If I may... for those who think that this or any other MashGyver mashup is TOO LONG. Mashups are kind of like wall art. There are popular paintings, mass produced and seen by millions in homes all over the world. And then there are paintings that are often very large and are found only in art museums. MashGyver makes the museum-type mashups. I rarely listen to MashGyver's art on a day-to-day basis. But every now and then I get the urge to "go to the museum" and delight myself in the art form that is MashGyver's alone. And when one goes to a museum, one appreciates the size and grandeur of the art there especially because it was made for just such purposes. His work is not often dance hall pop (like mine tends to be), he makes a few spectacular pieces per year for which I am quite appreciative. Appreciate the art form for what it is. His work is rare art, well worth the price of a few (or even quite a few) minutes. :1smiley:

You are making me blush, pal! Seriously, what a well-articulated analogy, and just an awesome thing to say about someone else’s art. Thank you, satis5d! And I’m glad you liked the cover art!

And oh how I wish I could put out more than a few of these per year…I’ve been putting in a lot more time lately, that’s for sure! I’m hoping to finish at least a couple more unfinished projects before the quarantine is listed.

I have posted Version 1.1 at the top. All the technical kinks (bad cuts and audio glitches) should be ironed out. I backed off the piano a bit, but didn’t want to eliminate it altogether. Let me know if I missed anything else...

2 Star User

Re: (!)MG - Carry On, Super Freak (Rick James vs. Kansas)

Post Sat May 02, 2020 1:19 am

Great mix, even for me as a Kansas-rookie. The sax-solo, for instance @3:40, fits so well.

layout
Love the artwork with Rick's head and how the used font corresponds with your old skool 'troubadour' explanationousness.
Did you even manage to get the sheet music (upside down and rotated, I know, haha) to match the Kansas piano part ?

artistic
I spotted your cameo around 3:40, right on time !
I had expected the cameo to be the Temptations, as they do the backing vocals. Disregarding the key, maybe to 'the girl is a superfreak' you can add 'your pappa was a Rolling Stone' ?

I like your acapella intro. It also gives DJ's a possibility to chopmix from the Superfreak original (or Hammertime) to your mashup. But I would have used the 'Temptations sing' (now @4:57) before the intro. That way you can make your mashup uninmixable, like I always manage to do with my own haha.

1 star User

Post Sat May 02, 2020 6:56 am

The new version sounds perfect!

Post Sat May 02, 2020 11:13 am

Rick James had such captivating instrumentals that his vocal talent sometimes got lost in the mix, but here he shines.

Also ... the "freak" bends on the percussion :1shocked:

Re: [FP]MG - Carry On, Super Freak (Rick James vs. Kansas)

Post Mon May 04, 2020 12:41 am

Thanks guys for all the critique, praise, and FP’ing!

1 star User

Re: [FP]MG - Carry On, Super Freak (Rick James vs. Kansas)

Post Sat May 23, 2020 2:15 pm

OMFG THIS IS SO GOOD. I literally just came here to say that.

Previous

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>