(FP)Trouble Days Are Over-Florence & the Machine vs Coldplay

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

(FP)Trouble Days Are Over-Florence & the Machine vs Coldplay

Post Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:49 am

Dog Days Are Over--Florence & the Machine
vs
Trouble--Colplay

No Flash Installed

(updated 4/15/20)
Download: https://sowndhaus.audio/uploads/tracks/191129254_1370010624_1712897134.mp3

Been thinking about happier days during this crisis and wanted to make something for when we make it to past this mess. Lots of chopping and rearranging with a little bit of effects for ambience.

Stay safe out there kids!

--DJ Bigg H
Last edited by djbiggh on Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Facebook: [url]facebook.com/thebiggh[/url]

Enjoy!

Re: Trouble Days Are Over--Florence & the Machine vs Coldpla

Post Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:04 pm

Harmonically it's good. However the mix is non-felicitous. The instrumental piano during the verses is completely panned center and stomping on the vocals (e.g. @0:29). Maybe you can widen the vocals a bit to mitigate. Alternatively try eq or multi-band limiter to carve out some space.

1 star User

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:04 am

Warezio wrote:Harmonically it's good. However the mix is non-felicitous. The instrumental piano during the verses is completely panned center and stomping on the vocals (e.g. @0:29). Maybe you can widen the vocals a bit to mitigate. Alternatively try eq or multi-band limiter to carve out some space.

Great feedback! I widened the vocals a bit overall. Hopefully this helps...let me know what you think! (updated the player above)

Cheers.

Enjoy!

1 star User

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:59 pm

djbiggh wrote:Great feedback! I widened the vocals a bit overall. Hopefully this helps...let me know what you think! (updated the player above)

Cheers.

It sounds better to me but the sources sound a bit low quality. May I ask where did you get the acapella and instrumental?

1 star User

Post Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:32 am

It sounds better to me but the sources sound a bit low quality. May I ask where did you get the acapella and instrumental?

Both are high quality .mp3 files. When I widened the vocals last round, it may have created some artifacts--particularly some "essing". I may need to run the vocal through a de-esser. I'll look into that...

In the meantime, you can compare it to the first version that I posted here:

No Flash Installed

Let me know if you think widening the vocals affected the quality.

Enjoy!

Post Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:41 pm

djbiggh wrote:Both are high quality .mp3 files. When I widened the vocals last round, it may have created some artifacts--particularly some "essing". I may need to run the vocal through a de-esser. I'll look into that...

The essing is there in the first version just less audible because of the mix. Now you can hear the vocals and notice them more, it's a good thing, but maybe touch it with a de-esser.

I think the distortion is due to a phasing plugin (?) I'm often disappointed with chorus plugins for foreground vocals. You can manually widen the vocals without distortion by duplicating the vocal track and doing (left +25ms, right +15ms, right -15ms, left -25ms) at -3db. (If the distortion is due to phase cancellation effects you might need to play with the delay amounts a bit).

Let me know what you want to do, current version is acceptable but you'll be happier on the 100th listen if you nail down the details.

2 Star User

Post Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:01 am

So you (Warezio) mean a multitap delay to put in those 25, 15, -15, -25 numbers ?

Using a multitap to widen on ONE vocal channel usually works for me, BUT the non-delayed (for instance Left when Right tap is +12 ms) channel SOUNDS earlier, closer and therefor louder. You will have to compensate for that volume with the panning knob.
Look up HAAS--effect for background.

1 star User

Post Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:09 pm

Great advice Mashstix peeps! I wasn't happy with the harsh essing that the vocal widening plugin created, so I retooled it by wideng the vocals manually via the suggested method. Rolled off some of the high-end as well to try and dampen the sharpness. Let me know what you guys think of this version (updated above).

Enjoy!

1 star User

Post Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:38 am

Any more feedback on this one?

Enjoy!

Post Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:20 pm

djbiggh wrote:I retooled it by wideng the vocals manually

Even better now.