[FP][expl.] Don't You Wish I Saved Your Life (PCD + Indeep)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
2 Star User

[FP][expl.] Don't You Wish I Saved Your Life (PCD + Indeep)

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:28 am

sources:
Busta Rhymes + Pussy Cat Dolls - Don't Cha Wish Your Girlfriend (explicit acapella) G# major (but Melodyne 4 called it F minor...)
Indeep - Last Night A DJ Saved My Life (instrumental) F# minor

version 10, well starting from v5 :1rolleyes: thanks Warezio for your review and Busta beat tip
I overlaid the intro-Busta over the Busta-spot later in the mashup that was correct, and after finding the right spot, moved it back to the intro.

No Flash Installed

download-v10-elastique+minute-shorter+busta-beat-fixed

=======================
OLDER VERSIONS TO COMPARE:

version 9 thanks Satis5d for your review, tip and recommend
I edited out just over a minute [1:02] of the Elastique-mashup (v8) in the last two minutes, still keeping all the explicit lyrics in the full mashup :1laugh: , moved the Indeep DJ a bit and put that up as version 9, again with 1,25 semitone Elastique-pitch.

No Flash Installed

download-version-9-elastique-pitched-and-one-minute-shorter

version 7+8 thanks Warezio and Dumpz for review and tips
I tried to fix it in two ways:
(a) by exporting the vocal track with the rendered delays to WAV, import in Melodyne, force it to F minor (to solve the '0.25' difference), then move the vocal to F# minor, export as WAV and import that in my DAW. So here pitch-shift is on the vocal AND reverb+delay.

No Flash Installed

melodyne-fix
download-melodyne-fix

(b) with Elastique Pitch VST with keep formants, up 1,25 semitone like Satis5d suggested on the MP3. So the delay and reverb are on the pitch-shifted vocal and the sound quality is better.

No Flash Installed

elastique-fix
download-elastique-fix

NOTE: filenames have no artists names in them, but Elastique or Melodyne. In case one of them is FP-worthy... :1laugh:

version 6
Thanks Satis5d for your review on v5, here is a new version 6.
I changed pitch correction from "per individual cut of vocal" to one "track pitch", and used 1,25 semitone as correction.
I pulled almost every vocal cut a tiny bit earlier, to make it less 'laid back' (or dragging, as you would say haha). Most of this change is in the Busta part.
Also put a Tube Warmer VST as an insert (about 80 percent wet) on the vocal, to get some agression.
Changed the Indeep-outro on "doing things in the mix" a bit, to subtly teach me to laugh about my own mistakes.

No Flash Installed

download-version-6

version 5 (the first version published here on Mashstix)

No Flash Installed

download-version-5
Last edited by CVS on Fri May 29, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Re: expl. CVS - Don't You Wish I Saved Your Life (PCD + Inde

Post Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:52 pm

While there are concepts here that I like a lot, there are issues that I have with this mashup:
1. It sounds to me like you slowed down the Pussycat Dolls. Whether you did or not, the result has a lack of energy and kind of drags a bit.
2. Although the issue seems to be resolved at around 3:30, the acapella sounds a bit flat, especially at the beginning. I'm guessing that it needs to come up by at least 25 cents.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

2 Star User

Post Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:54 am

Thanks for your remarks Satis5d on version 5. New version is in OP.
The first one is tough to fix with a pella admittedly 10 beats slower but I tried to fix it (vocals earlier on the beat; starting delays on a louder part of the vocal; tube saturation on vocal).
For the second one (pitch) I deleted the individual pitch changes per vocal part and replaced them with one 'track pitch' change for 1,25 semitone. Maybe I lost the quarter semitone in my slowing down, or my cutting up, that was necessary to "milisec-fix" the vocal-timing.

Post Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:08 pm

CVS, you've done a good job of resolving the "dragging" issue, but I'm still not sure that the pitching is correct yet. Perhaps another Mod will be able to give you a second opinion. (Assuming that another Mod appears again... :1rolleyes: )
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

2 Star User

Post Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:33 pm

Bump, anyone got an idea on my pitch-correction, it seems that Satis5d's suggestion of 1,25 semitone on the Pussycats is not enough... :1undecided:

3 Star User

Post Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:25 pm

Hm...they fit really well now in version 6. But I agree that the pitching is still a tad off somehow. Don't really know anything what you could do instead of fiddling around with the pitch(es) and look if you can find the sweet spot, or not... :1undecided:

Post Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:28 pm

DJ Dumpz wrote:Hm...they fit really well now in version 6. But I agree that the pitching is still a tad off somehow. Don't really know anything what you could do instead of fiddling around with the pitch(es) and look if you can find the sweet spot, or not... :1undecided:

Yeah I agree something is off.

When I'm really flummoxed, I loop over a note that some part is supposed to be playing, and then I play the note on a piano app, and start pitching the part until it matches. (Note: it could be that the part you are adjusting isn't the problem. If the note that sounds off is "in tune" [A440], then look around for other parts you haven't considered).

2 Star User

Post Tue May 05, 2020 11:30 pm

Thanks for the reviews and tips.
I tried two solutions, both now in the O.P.

Post Wed May 27, 2020 4:56 pm

At this point, my only real "complaint" with this one is that it seems to drag on a little bit too long. I'd chop 60-90 seconds off it. Otherwise it's a recommend from me now.

I prefer the ELASTIQUE version.

2 Star User

Re: (!)[expl.] Don't You Wish I Saved Your Life (PCD + Indee

Post Thu May 28, 2020 9:46 am

When you (= I :1wink: ) have spent time filling up the mental space with elaborate delays and stuff on a short pella, it is hard to take that out again, but you (=Satis5d) were right, this was a long one and less is often more.

So I took out one 'don't you wish' repeat and another part of about 45 seconds (combined 1:02 minute), moving the mental outro this way one minute earlier with a different edit point, now using the other bassline (as MashGyver called it in another project).
I also had to move the DJ voice overdub and delays a bit.

New version 9 is in O.P.

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>