$O$ My Religion (Be Happy mix)--REM vs Die Antwoord--DJ Bigg

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

$O$ My Religion (Be Happy mix)--REM vs Die Antwoord--DJ Bigg

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:21 pm

Losing My Religion--REM
vs
$O$--Die Antwoord

No Flash Installed

Download: https://sowndhaus.audio/uploads/tracks/207947676_1803443758_254438237.mp3

I've always loved this instrumental track from Die Antwoord and have been saving it for the right vocal. The subject matter and delivery of Losing My Religion felt spot on for this one. Hope you dig it!

--DJ Bigg H
Facebook: [url]facebook.com/thebiggh[/url]

Enjoy!

Re: $O$ My Religion (Be Happy mix)--REM vs Die Antwoord--DJ

Post Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:24 pm

The situation with the key in this one seems quite unusual, as I believe both songs are in A minor. However, although occasionally the ‘Losing My Religion’ vocal notes do sync with the instrumental, it still sounds OOK or clash quite often as well, as if it doesn’t match entirely with the chord progression? :1undecided: Maybe others can chip in with their thoughts and theories on this...

Post Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:14 pm

Oh dear! This sounds seriously out of key to my ears. :1undecided:
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Post Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:55 am

Agree with the others regarding the key here :1cry:

1 star User

Post Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:14 am

Well, dammit. Obviously, you guys are in agreement here, but I can't find anything wrong with this one. To the best of my knowledge these tracks are both 8A and I personally love the fit. There's probably some dissonance, but I personally think that gives it a weird, eerie vibe which is what I was going for. I even ran this track by a couple other "magic ears" and they didn't have an issue. Maybe the chord progression is wonky?

As always, I trust the judgement of the forum...that's what it's for! But I'm standing by this one, even if it's just unsettling on purpose... :1grin:

Enjoy!

Post Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:02 pm

While the combo is certainly very cool artistically, I have to agree about what the others are hearing. The instrumental isn’t not in A minor, but the D minor arpeggio that repeats throughout sprinkles in a B♭ note periodically. The vocal melody from “Losing My Religion” is rife with B natural notes, as many songs in A minor are, and they are repeatedly clashing with the B♭’s. If you were to bring a bunch of those B’s down a semitone you might have something that harmonizes better. But then, you would run the risk of butchering the melody too much. :1undecided:

1 star User

Post Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:02 am

When I first read the feedback on this one I pulled the track back up and tinkered with some pitch shifts. They all sounded wretched. But I had a couple musician friends give it a listen to get a better idea of what's going on here. Neither had a problem with the keys matching but one mentioned that the instrumental uses a Minor 6 that creates a lot of dissonance with the melody. I knew there was a lot of dissonance (I was going for that), but I don't have the music theory knowledge to know why or how we got there. I think my process might be closer to monkeys on a typwriter... :1rolleyes:

I've already had this track hit some blogs and the feedback so far has been great, so I'm going to stand by it. If it's a bit unsettling then it's working the way it was intended. :1wink:

Thanks for the feedback as always guys, and I'll make sure the next one isn't so wonky!. :1grin:

Enjoy!

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>