(FP) I Forgot That You Partied in the USA (T-Swift vs Miley)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

(FP) I Forgot That You Partied in the USA (T-Swift vs Miley)

Post Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:51 pm

ZooKreeper - I Forgot That You Partied in the USA (Taylor Swift vs Miley Cyrus)

I Forgot That You Existed - Taylor Swift
Party in the USA Acapella - Miley Cyrus

Hello! This is my second mashup, but the first I'm posting. I have a VERY basic understanding of music and Audacity, so I did this pretty much entirely by ear through trial-and-error. With that said, I'll try my best to follow feedback (I just can't make any promises :1lipsrsealed: ). I couldn't get the entire title to fit into the subject line, so I hope this is ok and that I did everything else right! Thanks for listening! :1smiley:

v1

No Flash Installed

v2

No Flash Installed

v1 Download

v2 download

v3

No Flash Installed

v3 download

v4

No Flash Installed

v4 download

v5

No Flash Installed

v5 download
Last edited by ZooKreeper on Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.

2 Star User

Hmm... Quite an interesting pairing.

Post Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:57 am

First of all, welcome to our cozy community, ZooKreeper.

As for the mash itself... sounds good enough for just basic knowledge from Audacity.

ANYWAYS... some good sugestions would be:

From 1:06 to 1:16 - turning the vocals from both into a single stereo track, but with Miley only being listen on the right side and Taylor on the left side (of the track, of course);

At 1:19 - 1:21, cut the Taylor's vocal part and let Miley's keep going;

Other than those, it's basically ready for some recognition from one of our mods :1grin:
When silly crosses serious... GladiLord is always near. :1grin:

1 star User

Re: I Forgot That You Partied in the USA (T-Swift vs Miley)

Post Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:34 pm

Thank you for the suggestion! I'll try that :1smiley:

1 star User

Re: Hmm... Quite an interesting pairing.

Post Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:31 pm

GladiLord wrote:First of all, welcome to our cozy community, ZooKreeper.

As for the mash itself... sounds good enough for just basic knowledge from Audacity.

ANYWAYS... some good sugestions would be:

From 1:06 to 1:16 - turning the vocals from both into a single stereo track, but with Miley only being listen on the right side and Taylor on the left side (of the track, of course);

At 1:19 - 1:21, cut the Taylor's vocal part and let Miley's keep going;

Other than those, it's basically ready for some recognition from one of our mods :1grin:

Version 2 is up! Tried the L/R vocals and extended some of Miley's vocals in a couple places, including 1:19 but didn't cut Taylor's since I liked the overlap; I can try again if you still think I should cut hers :1smiley:

2 Star User

Post Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:53 am

ZooKreeper wrote:Version 2 is up! Tried the L/R vocals and extended some of Miley's vocals in a couple places, including 1:19 but didn't cut Taylor's since I liked the overlap; I can try again if you still think I should cut hers :1smiley:

I think it's safe to say that this is now better than before... Much appreciated!
When silly crosses serious... GladiLord is always near. :1grin:

1 star User

Post Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:37 pm

v3 for something a little different :1smiley:

Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:53 am

This is another fun combination, ZooKreeper!

I think this one still suffers from the “too many cooks” syndrome, but I know that’s a matter of taste. A bit of the simultaneous vocals can be a nice touch, especially as a dramatic climax of a mashup, but sometimes they can be overwhelming and off-putting. GladiLord’s suggestions have definitely helped you create some separation and V3 is a drastic improvement from V1.

Other than a dramatic climax, though, here are some other ideas for uses of multiple vocal tracks:

Lead Vocal w/ ad libs: Use the “ooh”s,”aah”s,”yeah”s, etc. from one track to spice up the track while another vocal takes the lead. You’ll want to pull the ad libs down in volume, pan them away from center, and maybe add some reverb, to really pull them out of the foreground. Whistling, humming, and wordless melodies can work for this too. For this track, Miley’s “Ye-a-a-a-a-a-ah”s from the chorus come to mind as something you could play under Taylor’s vocals. I’m not familiar enough with this Taylor sung to suggest anything the other way, though...

Duet Style: Keep them both panned near or at center, and let them take turns singing a phrase, stanza, verse, etc. A brief overlap in vocalists can sound okay. If you pick the right two songs, they might even sing in complementary patterns to each other, almost like a call and response. That’s a rare gem of a find, though.

That’s not to say you can’t come up with another creative alternative to these…Feel free to experiment! But just know that usually, the fewer actual words that are heard at the same time, the easier things will be to follow. I also find that in general overlapping vocals are easier to digest in the choruses, probably because they are less wordy than verses.

Anyway, the decision to chop up a vocal and leave parts out of a song can be a tough decision to make. But sometimes less is more. At the same time if you enjoy hearing the simultaneous vocals, that’s all that matters! Best of luck to ya!

1 star User

Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:56 pm

MashGyver wrote:Anyway, the decision to chop up a vocal and leave parts out of a song can be a tough decision to make. But sometimes less is more. At the same time if you enjoy hearing the simultaneous vocals, that’s all that matters! Best of luck to ya!

Thank you for the advice! I decided to try removing most of Taylor's vocals and changed some volume around at the end where I kept them overlapping. v4 is up :1smiley:

Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi, ZooKreeper, I’ve been listening between ‘v3’ and ‘v4’. I like the idea of pairing these two sources together. Miley’s vocals are really well matched to the instrumental. Key and timing wise all sound good to me there.

I agree with MG regarding the overlapping vocals. I definitely think you’ve improved this aspect in ‘v4’, although at times where you’ve kept some of Taylor’s vocals in, it can still be distracting i.e 0:35 and 1:33 just before the chorus starts; as well as at 2:03 – 2:13.

Although saying that, at certain points it kinda works ok for me with the last Chorus of ‘v4’ from 2:19, and additionally in ‘v3’ Choruses, when using Taylor more as backing support, but still could be lowered in volume against the main Miley vocals rather than sounding like they’re competing with each other here?

Keeping Taylor in after the chorus from 0:55 and again at 1:57 sounds good.

I think the left/right channel vocal duet parts in ‘v3’ (i.e from 1:07) had potential but I feel that was the right call to remove it in ‘v4’.

Regarding the last chorus, it seems to start quite abruptly at 2:14 as if part of the vocals are cut off or not seamlessly introduced going into the last Chorus?

Also, for ‘v4’, Miley’s vocal sounds noticeably loud in each of the Choruses, I would reduce the db level down quite a bit there, plus in some areas of the verses as well slightly?

1 star User

Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:27 pm

Ok, did some more surgery on Taylor's vocals and reduced Miley's in volume in v5. Tried to make the last chorus entrance less abrupt as well. Getting closer hopefully :1laugh:

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>