[FP] MG - Outshineosaur (Was (Not Was) vs. Soundgarden)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

Re: MG - Outshineosaur (Was (Not Was) vs. Soundgarden)

Post Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:13 pm

DJ CROSSABILITY wrote:Kudos for the genre clash here and creating something different!

I’m not familiar with Soundgarden or their track here that you’ve used, but I appreciate the effort and editing put into this mix, including certain areas to compliment the 4/4 time signature from the original 7/4 time. As you say, where you’ve kept it the same for the verses that satid5d commented on, I think you do get used to it and my ears adjusted without it sounding too noticeable after a couple of listens.

Some nice touches with the use of vocals such as the repeated vocal over the percussion from 1:35 and again at 2:53 – 2:59 and the ending at 6:07, in keeping with the style of the track; plus with the section from 1:39.

Having some of the original ‘Outshined’ vocals in there as well is a good idea to keep the momentum going and to fill the space considering the length of the track.

The use of the ‘Walk The Dinosaur’ organ and sax solo section works a treat especially given that you didn’t have the stems to work with. It blends well with the ‘Outshined’ ‘mental without sounding over-crowded or out of place etc. Only thing that could be improved is the saxophone sounds panned slightly more to the right channel, rather than center panned in the same way as the organ before it.
Thanks for listening, Cross! I know it’s a long track and probably not what you’re used to, so I really appreciate the in-depth feedback you gave me!

As far as the saxophone solo goes, two things: 1) In the original track (which is what I’m filtering from), the organ is panned slightly left and the sax is panned slightly right. So I’m both a little hamstrung by what I’m working with as well as trying to stay true to the original in that regard, and 2) I have since lost the settings I had on that part of the mix and haven’t been able to tweak my way back to something nearly as good. So I am just splicing together bits from previous exports to keep that section sounding the best I can.

But as far as your other feedback, you have convinced me to make a V1.1! I have gone ahead and made the timing and volume adjustments you so kindly pointed out. After hearing it 100 times it gets easy to miss all those minute details, so I have to thank you for really digging in to this one!

Version 1.1 is up top!

Post Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:42 pm

Bumpin’ myself.

Post Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:54 am

This is ridiculous. AKA LAKA LAKA BOOM! :1laugh: Why do you do this to yourself Mash? :1laugh: Nice work!

Re: (!) MG - Outshineosaur (Was (Not Was) vs. Soundgarden)

Post Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:34 pm

Happy Cat Disco wrote:This is ridiculous. AKA LAKA LAKA BOOM! :1laugh: Why do you do this to yourself Mash?
I am a glutton for punishment! :1tongue:

Thanks for the recommend, HCD!

Re: (!) MG - Outshineosaur (Was (Not Was) vs. Soundgarden)

Post Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:47 am

Funny :1laugh:

Version 1.1 sounds good to me, congrats :1wink:

Previous

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>