DJ SecondChance - The Mother We Undid (Chvrches vs Korn)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

Post Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:07 pm

Chvrches - The Mother We Share
Korn - Coming Undone

Another fun genre defying A+B. Because I had all of the vocal stems, I tried to have the vocals more literally "come undone" towards the end. Please let me know any critiques or suggestions you may have, and I'll do what I can to address your concerns.

v1

No Flash Installed

https://www.dropbox.com/s/btnsnf0ve7wconx/The%20Mother%20We%20Undid%20v1.mp3?dl=0

v2

No Flash Installed

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0zbpw8kxojy4ttm/The%20Mother%20We%20Undid%20v2.mp3?dl=0
Last edited by DJ SecondChance on Wed May 08, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: DJ SecondChance - The Mother We Undid (Chvrches vs Korn)

Post Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:01 pm

I like it.

If you want a stretch goal: the Korn vocals have that classic "in your face" rock processing. You could try massaging them to have more of an EDM feel. Some things I would try: smoothing the attack with a transient shaper and/or pre-delay; eq-ing down or multibanding some of the vocal punch frequency circa 150hz; and of course adding lots of stereo delay / reverb.

I would also accept "dichotomy is a creative choice to accentuate the genre clash" as an answer, just let me know.

Post Wed May 01, 2019 5:06 pm

Yeah, you've definitely found a workable combination. I tend to agree with warezio here in that it doesn't feel finished yet. You've got the genre clash, but you don't have the "unity" of the two songs solved yet.

There are also some noticeable pitch issues on koRn (he's often flat by as much as 50 cents)

It's off to a flying start and has potential to be a memorable mashup. But it still needs some polishing. Warezio's advice is a good place to start.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

1 star User

Post Wed May 08, 2019 12:05 pm

Uploaded v2, but changes are very minimal. Not super sure how to make the changes that are being suggested.

* Tried a new vocal filter to add a little delay
* Fixed a flat at the end of the first chorus

If you want a stretch goal: the Korn vocals have that classic "in your face" rock processing. You could try massaging them to have more of an EDM feel. Some things I would try: smoothing the attack with a transient shaper and/or pre-delay; eq-ing down or multibanding some of the vocal punch frequency circa 150hz; and of course adding lots of stereo delay / reverb.

Oh man, I've been trying for a while to get the vocals to mesh better with the instrumental, but I haven't really fiddled with effects much before now. Can you describe the sound you're asking for in different terms?

There are also some noticeable pitch issues on koRn (he's often flat by as much as 50 cents)

I'm trying and failing to find spots where KoRn is unintentionally flat. I know he likes to slide up and down into the notes he's trying to sing, but the ending note sounds to me like it's where it should be. Can you give me some of the lyrics or timestamps where you hear the vocals going flat?

1 star User

Post Thu May 09, 2019 8:29 pm

Great potential, but I don't think that v2 is there yet. There are some small issues that weren't mentioned:

- The instrumental sounds low quality to me. The Instrumental on Youtube sounds better. Maybe just because it's louder but I don't think so.

- There are some noticable volume changes in the acapella: The first 45 seconds sounds really well balanced to me, but then it gets a lot louder. Another example is at 2:05 when it gets quieter.

When it's done, it'll be awesome.

Post Sat May 18, 2019 10:33 pm

I like your new logo with the sideways “2”…very nice!

The only thing I’d add to what’s already been said about this excellent track is that the vocals sound like they are mono, which is probably the source of the “classic processing” Warezio is bringing up. After a quick YouTube search I was able to find the vocals in stereo. So I’m assuming you’re doing something in processing the stems that is causing them to lose their stereo width. This might be worth looking into, rather than trying to add width back using effects.

And to piggyback on The Table’s comment, you have transposed the instrumental again, haven’t you? This will always affect its quality negatively, unless you are using the old tape speed method and changing the tempo proportionately, or transposing individual instrumental stems can sometimes work. Generally I would recommend doing as much as you can get away with with the vocals first.

Looking forward to the finished product...

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>