Run Free (LeBrock vs. Ultranate) *SYNTHWAVE*

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

Run Free (LeBrock vs. Ultranate) *SYNTHWAVE*

Post Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:13 pm

satis5d | Run Free
(LeBrock vs. UltraNate)

I've found the perfect pair. But have I massaged the EQ just right?

LeBrock - Runaway [synthwave instrumental]
UltraNate - Free [pitchy acapella]

Version 1

No Flash Installed

Download

Version 2

No Flash Installed

Download here
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Re: Run Free (LeBrock vs. Ultranate) *SYNTHWAVE*

Post Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:06 pm

Love the combo. EQ sounds good to me, but boy is that acapella pitchy. Can you just hit it hard with autotune and call it an effect?

These parts stood out:
  • 1:00 - 1:12 : "together" is particularly bad
  • 1:44 - 2:06: "way" and "today" are particularly bad

Post Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:59 am

For version 1, I did the spot-pitching myself. Obviously, not to everyone's satisfaction. So for version 2 I let Melodyne do a "Snap to scale" and then made some very minor adjustments from there. I think it's much better now.

Version 2 is up! :1grin:
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Post Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:18 pm

Much better. However the "together" at 1:05 is still off. Maybe it's a slide getting snapped to the wrong place, or maybe it's just the wrong note for the instrumental (the whole pre-chorus bit from 0:59 to 1:12 is slightly off, did one of the sources do a quick key change?).

Paging @MashGyver, @HCD, and other key wizards ...

Post Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:56 pm

Warezio wrote:However the "together" at 1:05 is still off. Maybe it's a slide getting snapped to the wrong place, or maybe it's just the wrong note for the instrumental (the whole pre-chorus bit from 0:59 to 1:12 is slightly off, did one of the sources do a quick key change?).
Hmmm, well it’s pitchy, but it just sounds like pre-AutoTune 90’s House vocals to me, not anything outrageously out of key to me. It sounds like you don’t have a copy of AutoTune, satis5d? I wonder if someone around here would be gracious enough to run that ‘pella through and help out (I would if I had a copy.) To stay true to the style of Synthwave I feel like it would be a very nice touch, although I’m not sure it’s totally necessary. The vocal does match the instrumental very well as is--it just seems to lack a bit of polish because of the “pitchiness.”

I’m curious to hear others’ opinions about the vocals...

Post Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:49 am

Intensive combo :1smiley:

As for the vocals, I guess a bit of more EQ will help, not sure what you did already, but from what I'm hearing, you can push down (from the baseline) between 3-5 dB for the following frq.:
386Hz, 850Hz, 2.2KHz, 3.4KHz.

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:51 am

Cool! Try lowering a the vocal EQ around 450-600 (ballpark where the mud is) and subtle high shelf to pull her out just a bit. You need to Anteres Autotune for this. many of the off key parts sound flat by at least half a semitone. Anteres will correct this easily for you.

The combo is solid other than those things.

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>