(!) DJ SecondChance - DuraTime (Pink Floyd vs Ratatat)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

(!) DJ SecondChance - DuraTime (Pink Floyd vs Ratatat)

Post Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:59 pm

DJ SecondChance - DuraTime (Pink Floyd vs Ratatat)

Pink Floyd - Time
Ratatat - Dura

Had this mashup in my head for a while, and now that there are automated services to rip acapellas, I can finally make it! Open to criticism, I'm always looking to improve and perfect my work.

No Flash Installed

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7u5fb3dcsibnhw/DuraTime.mp3?dl=0

v2.0

No Flash Installed

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1p129hghc1bcj70/DuraTime%20v2.0.mp3?dl=0

v3

No Flash Installed

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tgy4g244mpmij99/DuraTime%20v3.mp3?dl=0

v4

No Flash Installed

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q0qio5adwfkq27w/DuraTime%20v4.mp3?dl=0
Last edited by DJ SecondChance on Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

Re: DJ SecondChance - DuraTime (Pink Floyd vs Ratatat)

Post Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:15 pm

This is a very aggressive mashup. Music from the 70's is often not very 'formulaic' like today's music and Pink Floyd is notoriously non-formulaic. Yet, you made something interesting here. I'm not big on the section between 2:30-3:00. It sounds kinda pitchy to me, but the "backward masking" effect near the end is cool. (I hope that's what you were going for. :1rolleyes: )
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

3 Star User

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:34 am

Think it could be pitched up a tiny bit on the vocal, or add some subtle reflections to the reverb that drift up in pitch - that might smooth the vocal feel a bit too, and fill in some what's been killed by the filtering - Saying that I liked the whole thing fine from the get go, and 2nd 3rd listen I was just enjoying the track.

1 star User

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:42 pm

Solid notes! The song sounds much better to me now, but maybe that's also due to my week away from it. Here's what I've changed up for v2.0.

* less transition time in clock shop intro

* Adjusted Vocals up .2 semitones. Always been afraid to use partial semitones, but it's sounding much nicer.

* Added effects to both vocals. Helped fill out Floyd vocals to smooth over rip effects (Hope this makes 2:30-3:00 nicer, not quite sure how else to address that), and gave Prof. Hawking an electric guitar effect. Not 100% sure about Guitar Hawking, but I think I like it.

* Softened backward outro vocals to balance against quiet outro instrumental

* Tightened up a few vocal tempo issues. Song should sound crisper now.

3 Star User

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:42 pm

:o

Duuude...Guitar Hawkins gr8. Pitch def helps and volumes/fx/mix really working for me now. When I listen side by side it's quiet a subtle change, but feels much better and more together now.

It a great, excellently weird mash!

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:41 pm

V2 is very nice overall. Three nitpicks:

1. Low-fi acapellas are tricky. The part at circa 1:34 is isolated with little instrumental to cover it up. Maybe you can do something about it?
2. The vocal phrasing at 2:07-2:12 is not clicking for me. After that it snaps in.
3. [Creative comment, feel free to ignore] Backward ending is a bit long methinks. Cool for a bit but then wears out the welcome.

2 Star User

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:46 am

Nice combo, pink floyd mashups are rare, so extra good.
v1 sounded louder, more 'punchy' in the drums to me than v2, like the overall volume is softer ? of mastering is off ? this louder could be in V1 the source of 'agressive mashup', but I liked that, and maybe you lowered it on purpose.

artisitic
after 1:45 the last Hawking word in 'to make that future' could be a tiny bit later (by starting that sentence a bit later), falling together with a synth sound.

1 star User

Post Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:37 pm

v3 Notes:

Trimmed up backward ending, as well as lo-fi garbled outro @ 1:34.

Rebalanced inst/vocals

Gave new guitar filter to Prof Hawking (metal this time), and gave his quote more integration with the instrumental.

Couldn't remix 2:07-2:12 to sound any better than it does. It needs to come in syncopated, or it sounds really bad.

Post Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:07 pm

I don't know if this one has the quality necessary to make it to the front page, even with the improvements, but based on the level of difficulty involved and the creativity put into this one, I'm going to give it a chance. I recommend.

self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

3 Star User

Re: (!) DJ SecondChance - DuraTime (Pink Floyd vs Ratatat)

Post Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:03 am

^^ I think it deserves a FP. That's some gr8 creativity right there

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>