(FP) CVS- Angel Affair (MARCO J. Blige vs. Shaggy)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

Re: CVS- Angel Affair (MARCO J. Blige vs. Shaggy)

Post Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:45 am

I really like the energy and personality this mashup has! Great vocal cuts as always!

The keys aren’t a perfect match (sounds like a relative major and minor) and MJB hits a few pitchy notes but there is nothing egregious happening here--nothing I would bother messing with.

Besides, the 1:29 vocal harmonies on “in our lives” is magical! :1grin:

Now..I noticed that the phrasing of the vocals from 3:12 and beyond is just like the original Mary J. Blige track, but prior to that you start each phrase 2 beats earlier, which sounds much more awkward in my opinion...Is there a reason for this, or was it unintentional? 3:12 to the end sounds much better to me. (To clarify, the first “let’s get it” comes in around 0:20 and if it were the original wouldn’t come in until around 0:22. It consequently all sounds awkward to me until much later in the track.)

2 Star User

Post Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:08 am

Thanks MashGyver for your review and compliment, new version 4 is in O.P.

Post Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:10 am

The key changes when ever I hear it. Sometimes is in key an other it's OOK around 20 seconds as Satis5d mentioned. I don't know what it is. 5ths perhaps.

2 Star User

Post Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:56 pm

Thanks HCD for your review.
I changed the placement like MashGyver suggested, and he was OK with (or tolerating?) the key/pitch.
So I would like to know what he (Mashgyver) thinks now.

Post Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:52 pm

There has been a lot of effort put into this mashup. :1smiley:

I'm going to give this two thumbs up, partly despite and partly because of the "breathing" of the vocals of the song. It's obvious that Mary has been lowered considerably to match the key, but one would have expected that in so doing, the vocal would become longer, not shorter. So I assume that you significantly shortened the vocals and then chopped them up into a thousand pieces. The result is that Mary sounds like a man singing out of breath. Nearly every phrase is hurried like she's racing to catch her next breath. But since it's so pervasive to the tune, it actually sounds like that is the effect you're going for. So I'm going to give this a recommend. It's an enjoyable mashup.

self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Re: (!) CVS- Angel Affair (MARCO J. Blige vs. Shaggy)

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:31 am

Nice combo, CSV, a bit repetitive but enjoyable :1rolleyes:

I also not sure about the key issue here, so I'll give MashGyver a second chance to listen to V4 as you requested, in the meantime, I heard a slightly OOT around 0:51, that phrase "come on baby" needs to be stretched a bit :1wink:

2 Star User

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:49 pm

Thanks for the recommend Satis5d, not a 1.000 but just 104 cuts in the vocal.
Thanks SMASH for your OOT remark @0:51, I corrected it.

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:29 pm

SMASH wrote:so I'll give MashGyver a second chance to listen to V4 as you requested
As I said earlier, the relative major/minor thing creates a few rough spots, but nothing that takes away from the enjoyment of this mashup. Your diligence paid off!

2 Star User

Re: (FP) CVS- Angel Affair (MARCO J. Blige vs. Shaggy)

Post Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:09 am

Thanks guys for the support, help and frontpage.

Previous

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>