(!)CVS - Starbabyboy (The Weeknd vs Sean Paul) v2

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

(!)CVS - Starbabyboy (The Weeknd vs Sean Paul) v2

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:46 am

sources:
Baby Boy (instrumental) C# modern phrygian - Sean Paul ('arabic' sounding)
Starboy (acapella) A minor - The Weeknd

I GIVE THIS COMBO UP -
see below for ideas if you have a better pitchshifter than I do. Like Melodyne ?

I made a new one with C Greek chromatic, just for fun (no download) and because the original is autotuned anyway. BY MISTAKE on the original A min pella, so no transpose (because the tonic is C, not C#).

No Flash Installed

I thought I had found a fitting mental in C# major, but no.
MashGyver pointed out that it is in fact C phrygian (dominant)
Looked it up, there are three different phrygians in Autotune (named greek).
A solution I have found (bt cannot implement with my tools) is make the pella 4 semi lower, so F minor and then change the D# (if there are any) to E, making it a Harmonic Minor. That has the same notes as the C phrygian.
C minor: C, D, D#, F, G, G#, A#, C
normal C phrygian: C, C#, D#, F, G, G#, A#, C (just a minor really, but with 1 semi lower 2nd)
dominant phrygian: C, C#, E, F, G, G#, A#, C (so phrygian, but with 1 semi up third note)

C major: C, D, E, G, A, B, C (so the same 1, 3, 5 that the melody resolves to most of the time, but also a couple of different ones that could give clashes in my opinion)
C# major: C#, D#, F, F#, G#, A#, C, C# (it looks a LOT like C phrygian...)

a better alternative would be to change the pella from A minor to F minor (lower):
F minor: F, G, G#, A#, C, C#, D#, F (we are getting close...)
F harmonic minor: F, G, G#, A#, C, C#, E, F (just a minor, but with 1 semi up 7th note)

So F harmonic minor, giving the exact same notes as the C dominant phrygian.

Warning: the vocoder parts are different in the original, so I reused the first part that sounded 'best' with the mental.
part 1:10 - 1:20 repeated @2:14 and @3:17
part 1:03 - 1:23 repeated @3:30

@Warezio, thanks for the recommend, you were also right on the narrow mental in version 2.
@MashGyver, thanks for your key-info.
I looked at the chords, I don't see a lot of F min chords (with a small third = G#) and because I upped the pitch to A# minor anyway thinking the mental was C# major, there is no A left in the pella that could clash left in my pella.

Autotune has three Greek versions, this is diatonic
C - 0
C# - 63 cents (compared to C I think)
D# - 112
F - 498
G - 702
G# - 765
A# - 814
C
---------------------------------------------------------
Autotune also has: Greek chromatic
C - 0
C# - 63 cents (compared to C I think)
D# - 182 (WTF ? how can this be right, intervalically (it's on internet, so a real word)
F - 498
G - 702
G# - 765
A# - 884
C
---------------------------------------------------------
Greek diatonic
C - 0
C# - 112 cents (compared to C I think, but in contrast with previous Greek)
D# - 316
F - 498
G - 702
G# - 814
A# - 1018
C

====================
the narrow one (version 2):

No Flash Installed

Last edited by CVS on Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:04 am, edited 8 times in total.

Re: CVS - Starbabyboy (The Weeknd vs Sean Paul) v2

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:24 pm

This is one of those dancehall instrumentals that is very narrow, so it took some getting used to, but I think it is the style so I'm gonna go with it.

Well done.

1 star User

Re: (!)CVS - Starbabyboy (The Weeknd vs Sean Paul) v2

Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:00 pm

@Warezio, thanks for the recommend on version 2, L+R channels were almost the same...
you got me thinking on the mental that I had used for the last 3 years in various projects.
Found a better mental-version on YT and used it in version 3 in original post.

Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:00 pm

CVS wrote:Baby Boy (instrumental) C# major - Sean Paul ('arabic' sounding)
I like this instrumental, and one of the reasons is that it is exotic, and as a result, probably pretty tough to mash. The arabic sound is due not only to the instrumentation, but also to the scale used (it’s implied either Phrygian Dominant, or Harmonic Major, and it sounds like the tonic is C, not C♯). The good news is it only has two chords, so a lot of things could potentially work with it. A vocal in C major or C mixolydian might work, and there are even a few C minor vocals that might work. But anything with the note A (such as the relative minor that you’re using) has the potential to clash with the A♭'s in the F minor chord, which is 50% of the song.

Sorry to be the party pooper once again. I would love to hear this instrumental with the right vocal track, though--it could turn out exceptional if you nail it!

1 star User

Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:13 pm

@MashGyver, thanks on the C tonic mental and phrygian stuff.
I put my findings and research in the original post, maybe some else can do it with better tools.

On to the next one...
(and still hoping for the final vote on the Sledgehammer after my corrections).

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>