(!) Cocoa Butter Thriller (Chance The RapperMichael Jackson)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

(!) Cocoa Butter Thriller (Chance The RapperMichael Jackson)

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:10 am

DJ Second Chance: Cocoa Butter Thriller (Chance The Rapper vs Michael Jackson)
Chance The Rapper - Cocoa Butter Kisses (Instrumental)
Michael Jackson - Thriller (Acapella)

Made this for a friend's wedding, and actually kinda liked it. Wanted to see what you guys thought of it, since I've taken quite the break from mashup making, and I know there are things I could be doing better.

No Flash Installed

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/8b7xviz7amhjkac/Cocoa%20Butter%20Thriller.mp3

Re: Cocoa Butter Thriller (Chance The Rapper vs Michael Jack

Post Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:58 pm

As much as I like seeing you posting again, this mashup doesn't lock for me time-wise. It just sounds dis-jointed to me. Sorry.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Re: Cocoa Butter Thriller (Chance The Rapper vs Michael Jack

Post Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:19 pm

I can hear it. Sorry I took so much time away from the forum.

I Like it.

Re: (!) Cocoa Butter Thriller (Chance The RapperMichael Jack

Post Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:18 am

Welcome back, Second Chance!

I like what you’ve done here musically…I wish that instrumental wasn’t so drum heavy, so the keys would come through the mix better. I know that re-pitching it has probably flattened its energy a lot. I think you could tinker with the EQ and breathe some life back into it, or see if you can find a happy medium, moving the vocals toward the key of the instrumental. Ideally I wouldn’t mess with an instrumental, but meeting in the middle can be a last-resort option if the keys are far apart.

And I know that you can get your hands on a better Thriller acapella these days. This reverby one was the only one floating around for a long time, but I know there are some dry vocal stems floating around these days. Right now the reverb makes this mix sound very strange, combined with that instrumental it is really lacking a convincing mix right now.

Best of luck!

EDIT: Here are some examples on YouTube…you’ll have to mix Lead and Backing vocals but it’ll sound much better if you do...
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>