The Circle of Life (Billy Ocean vs. 2018)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

The Circle of Life (Billy Ocean vs. 2018)

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:53 pm

This is the lead-off track for my end-of-year mega ("Back to the Future Part II"). I'll be posting BTTF-2 in bite-sized chunks to facilitate feedback.

Not intended to be FP'd in isolation. The ending here is abrupt, in the mix it transitions to another track.

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Billy Ocean - Get Outta My Dreams
Kanye West - I Love It (actually Wanda Sykes?)
LSD - Thunderclouds
Bazzi ft. Camila Cabello - Beautiful
Tiësto & Dzeko ft. Preme & Post Malone - Jackie Chan
Martin Garrix & Justin Mylo – Burn Out
Marshmello ft. Bastille - Happier
Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato - Solo
Ariana Grande - thank u, next
BTS - DNA
Selena Gomez - Back To You

Version 1: (less dirty words, +thankunext, mix/phrasing tweaks)

No Flash Installed

Version 0:

No Flash Installed

1 star User

Re: The Circle of Life (Billy Ocean vs. 2018)

Post Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:22 am

I like the back to the future sample, and the car starting: is that Ferrari from 'Gap Band - Burn Rubber on Me' ? Otherwise you can use that later in the mashup, to stop one song on a car stopping sound and then restart another song.
Also 'get out of my car' from Billy Ocean fits great with the BTTF. Would be good if your second mental (?) is car-connected as well.

In the intro there are some 'rude' words (not that I mind....). Some are left out (mother), but it starts 'heavy' so listeners will expect rude words in this megamix.

It seems that you made some edits in the mental intro, or maybe you use the 80s extended 12 inch version that I don't know ?

@0:30 girl oho oho ooho: first two parts surprised me in their timing, number 3 and further fit for me. Maybe you have to repeat the first two syllables to make them fit if you move them about?

@0:46 male voice for me is too much in the middle (the background vocals ARE stereo),
after that Imagine Dragons (?) they sound good in stereo, and a nice fit with the mental.

Maybe you can do something with extreme left and right panning of the mono (?) sources in first minute that react on each other ? so you don't have to steroize them all...

The mental as continuing background in this megamix is sometimes a bit much/ crowded (I think a sax, have to listen again, but am now in editing post, so cannot preview), like you are making an A+B, A+C, A+D, A+E row of mashups. That is great and very ambitious. For instance, 'Stars on 45' used just a kick and a handclap as continuing mental.

It would help me to find my way around the megamix if you supplied a list of all parts and samples you used front to back with times where they occur. I think there are already 10 in this short part? Making that source-list after you finish the megamix will be a LOT of work :1grin:

Sorry for all the question marks, just a quick and first review.

Post Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:52 pm

CVS wrote:In the intro there are some 'rude' words (not that I mind....). Some are left out (mother), but it starts 'heavy' so listeners will expect rude words in this megamix.

I get what you mean. Unfortunately it's really hard to avoid edgy material this year, so such things do show up later (I edit out the worst bits).

CVS wrote:It would help me to find my way around the megamix if you supplied a list of all parts and samples you used front to back with times where they occur.

I added a list of sources in order of appearance.

CVS wrote:Sorry for all the question marks, just a quick and first review.

No worries, thanks for the listen. I'll noodle on your comments re: the mix.

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:39 am

Props for tackling GET OUTTA MY DREAMS. I've tried using that instrumental a few times now and haven't been able to get anything that I'm satisfied with. The key changes are a beast and the notes within the main key are bad enough.

That said, I find that sometimes this mix works well and other times not so much. Overall, I found myself unsatisfied with the result.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

1 star User

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:58 pm

Solid stuff, but you asked for nitpicks:

Rough transition at 1:18. You're starting 2 new vocal lines at the same time, and it gets confused.

Vocals could use a little more volume from 2:21 onward.

Transition at 2:55 is very weird. You're creating harmonic tension that you'd expect to resolve to a very different key than the one you've chosen.

Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:27 pm

Ok I reflected upon feedback and created version 1. (I'll tweak thankunext to fit into the mix better for the final version.)

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>