(FP)Dj Legato - Summertime face (Morcheeba Vs The Weeknd)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
2 Star User

(FP)Dj Legato - Summertime face (Morcheeba Vs The Weeknd)

Post Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:21 am

Dj Legato - Summertime face (Morcheeba Vs The Weeknd)

Sources:
Morcheeba - It's Summertime (Radio Mix Instrumental)
The Weeknd - Can't Feel My Face (Studio Acapella)

I must agree, Morcheeba was one of my all time favorites in the early 00`s and still is!
I bought all of their albums (yes all ten) and i love the unique music they come up with all the time!
To bad there is no bonus instrumentals on any of their albums :1sad:
But Youtube provide !
I'm thinking about making a whole album of Morcheeba mashups, or maybe just an EP ?
But for now, this is #2

I really like the brass parts in this track, in my opinion the bass guitar and the brass is carrying the whole track to new levels :1cool:
Hope you enjoy this new mashup :1smiley:

No Flash Installed

V2-A: Same intro.

No Flash Installed

V2-B: Vocal cut intro.

No Flash Installed

V2-C: Elongated intro.

No Flash Installed

Last edited by Dj-Legato on Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1 star User

Re: Dj Legato - Summertime face (Morcheeba Vs The Weeknd)

Post Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:08 am

Like the combo.

artistic comments
You could leave out the vocal from 0:08 till about 0:24 getting a longer instrumental intro, and THEN kick in with the Michael Jackson like vocal. The first part of the vocal feels 'strange' to me, I can not explain it well. This goes against 'using as much of the vocal as possible and always in the original order' but why not break a mashup-rule now and then ?

From 0:44 I first thought I heard crackle, but there is also handclapping, that reminds me of the long intro of Santa Esmeralda - Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood. If you are trying to mask anything, that could help. Also, using a snippet from SE-DLMBM would turn this in a A+B+C mashup, combining songs from three decades ?

1 star User

Post Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:33 am

Not really familiar with Morcheeba but I do like this Weeknd song one of his better ones in my opinion, Sounds like a original to me great job!

Post Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:29 am

Good combo, Legato :1cool:

I'm almost ready to recommend, the only thing holding me back is the timing in the drop.
I'm not sure, but maybe the vocals @2:22 need to be moved a few seconds early to let the phrase "I can't feel my face..." to fall on 2:37 :1undecided:

Thoughts anyone?

2 Star User

Post Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Thanks for the great feedback guys :1cool:

CVS wrote:
You could leave out the vocal from 0:08 till about 0:24 getting a longer instrumental intro, and THEN kick in with the Michael Jackson like vocal

Thanks! that's a nice idè and i tried it, works really well :1wink: (V2-B)

there is also handclapping, that reminds me of the long intro of Santa Esmeralda - Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood. If you are trying to mask anything, that could help. Also, using a snippet from SE-DLMBM would turn this in a A+B+C mashup

Ive checked out your suggestion, but it was a bit to fast.. 10bpm to be exact :1shocked:
And no i didn't try to mask anything at this mashup, the sources i found on YT was fairly good so i kept it as is...

Smash wrote:
I'm not sure, but maybe the vocals @2:22 need to be moved a few seconds early to let the phrase "I can't feel my face..." to fall on 2:37

With all due respect i tried what you suggested, but i didn't feel it, sorry! :1cry:
I wanted to keep that as a bridge, a contrast section before the Solo guitar comes back in.
When i took away that part, the mix sounded to cramped in my ears.. No air to breathe in, if that make any sense ?
I did however adjust the "echo" part in the build up before the guitar solo, i also cut out the vocals overlapping the guitar and let them come back in at the outro
Did some final adjustments to the vocal track as well, adding a tube compressor, more reverb and tape saturation.. +Eq

Besides all that i made 2 new intros, so 3 new versions in total is up :1rolleyes:

Thanks again :1smiley:

Post Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:11 pm

I listened to V2-B. I love it (and, to be clear, my face is not numb).

It's an abrupt ending. For room listening it might help to add some verb or otherwise increase the sustain at the end. For DJ-ing ... I'd think you'd want some beats or other denouement to ease mixing out. Your call, I'm still recommending, this is great work.

Dj-Legato wrote:I'm thinking about making a whole album of Morcheeba mashups, or maybe just an EP ?

At least an EP sounds like a good idea to me. It really helps to be intimately familiar with one of the sources so you can anticipate the gel.

2 Star User

Re: (!)Dj Legato - Summertime face (Morcheeba Vs The Weeknd)

Post Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:57 pm

Wow! Thanks a lot for the Recommend Warezio :1cool:

(and, to be clear, my face is not numb)
Not sure what this means :1undecided:
Have i ever called your face numb in anyway? if so, i do apologize.. :1huh:

I can of course put some more beats in the end, to help out some "Djs"
But than again, are we making clubmixes or mashups in here ? :1lipsrsealed:

1 star User

Re: (!)Dj Legato - Summertime face (Morcheeba Vs The Weeknd)

Post Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:50 am

Warezio is hinting at the lyric at 0:45 where he sings: I can't feel my face when I'm with you (so it is numb).

I like version 2-B as well, and love the things you did with the echo on vocals before the guitar.

A 'mashup you can dance to' is my own usual goal, whatever the name is.

On an EP, mini-album or concept-album:
there is a famous Gloria Gaynor album that has one side of songs all segueing (= mixed) into eachother. That could be a good challenge for your Morcheeba-project: make it so that the different mashups all blend/mix into the next one. That should not be on beats only, but for instance:
- a delayed/echoed sound that repeats into the next mashup,
- or a synth-pad-sound in outro 1 that blends into intro 2
- or an acapella intro of mashup 2 that lays over the outro of mashup 1
- or a movie /TV series quote that joins two mashups, for instance Walter White - 'I am the one that knocks' (from: Breaking Bad)

Re: (FP)Dj Legato - Summertime face (Morcheeba Vs The Weeknd

Post Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:02 pm

Perfect, i love it :1wink:

2 Star User

Re: (FP)Dj Legato - Summertime face (Morcheeba Vs The Weeknd

Post Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:30 pm

Thank you for the front page DRA'man :1kiss:

I wrote
Have i ever called your face numb in anyway? if so, i do apologize.. :1huh:

CVS wrote
Warezio is hinting at the lyric at 0:45 where he sings: I can't feel my face when I'm with you (so it is numb)
I now see how this could be misinterpreted :1undecided: I was actually trying to be ironic, not my brightest side i guess :1embarassed:

On an EP, mini-album or concept-album:
there is a famous Gloria Gaynor album that has one side of songs all segueing (= mixed) into eachother. That could be a good challenge for your Morcheeba-project: make it so that the different mashups all blend/mix into the next one. That should not be on beats only, but for instance:
- a delayed/echoed sound that repeats into the next mashup,
- or a synth-pad-sound in outro 1 that blends into intro 2
- or an acapella intro of mashup 2 that lays over the outro of mashup 1
- or a movie /TV series quote that joins two mashups, for instance Walter White - 'I am the one that knocks' (from: Breaking Bad)
Ill keep that in mind for the upcoming EP..
Thanks CVS

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>