(FP) Oasis Vs. The Bee Gees

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

Re: Oasis Vs. The Bee Gees

Post Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:07 pm

MashGyver wrote:Everything is getting better, although the vocals still seem a bit sharp on average. A lot of them are pretty close. I wonder what it would sound like if you brought them all down 20¢...

The timing is still not where it needs to be. The tempo seems about right, but I feel like “slip” from the first line ought to land on beat #1 like it does in the original. The “Soooo” in the chorus ought to land on beat #1 as well. The second verse and chorus actually sound perfect to me--just do exactly that for the rest of the song!

As far as the width goes, I did a quick YouTube search and found these:
phpBB [media]

…Nice and wide…I think it’s a better idea to start with the stereo version than to try to widen a mono version...

Chorus at 2:33 is also late and the key change is still screwed up thereafter... :1huh:

Did you give up on the guitar solo? It was nice!

I sent it to the back with some reverb kind of turned it down in the mix.

2 Star User

Post Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:55 pm

I think you're on to something here RayMan :1cool: but for me there is a timing issue on all 3 versions..
The I in the word SLIP (inside the...) should be on the first downbeat ima. and keep in mind the Oasis track is drifting, they're not using a midi clock as they play this "live" in the studio.
Often the drummer has a metronome in his/hers headset to keep the beat, but does not seam they did so in this case.. :1undecided: (the grunge way maybe ?)
The Bee Gees track is more a synth pop track and is following a midi clock. However the original is played at 84,344 BPM I see this a lot in old tracks, its like the midi clock time signature has changed along the years? Tracks from the mid 90s is often .270 in the bpm. But loading a 00`s track in the DAW, its almost always .00 ?
Did anyone else notice this phenomenon :1huh:
I see this a lot when mixing.

To fix the timing on this, i guess you have to set all the 1`s in the vocals manually.
You can either cut it up in tiny bits or try to use an auto warp.
The average should be around 82,5 bpm i think..
Not sure what DAW you are using ?

1 star User

Post Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:40 pm

Dj-Legato wrote:I think you're on to something here RayMan :1cool: but for me there is a timing issue on all 3 versions..
The I in the word SLIP (inside the...) should be on the first downbeat ima. and keep in mind the Oasis track is drifting, they're not using a midi clock as they play this "live" in the studio.
Often the drummer has a metronome in his/hers headset to keep the beat, but does not seam they did so in this case.. :1undecided: (the grunge way maybe ?)
The Bee Gees track is more a synth pop track and is following a midi clock. However the original is played at 84,344 BPM I see this a lot in old tracks, its like the midi clock time signature has changed along the years? Tracks from the mid 90s is often .270 in the bpm. But loading a 00`s track in the DAW, its almost always .00 ?
Did anyone else notice this phenomenon :1huh:
I see this a lot when mixing.

To fix the timing on this, i guess you have to set all the 1`s in the vocals manually.
You can either cut it up in tiny bits or try to use an auto warp.
The average should be around 82,5 bpm i think..
Not sure what DAW you are using ?

I am using Reaper, Cuckos Reaper

2 Star User

Post Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:08 pm

Ok, that was maybe the only DAW i have not tried my self :1grin:
So i can not help you on the DAW part.. Sorry :1cry:
I did however hear great things about the Reaper, and maybe ill try it someday?
I use mostly Ableton Live and Maschine studio for production, but for mashing i tend to go back to good old AcidPro :1wink:
The beatmapper wizard is golden for getting non-midi tracks in sync. it takes some time, but the result is as good as you want it to be. Its all about fractals actually :1smiley:

Post Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:23 pm

Version 3 vocals are slightly out of key (sharp) They need to be corrected by Auto tune. The key change around 2 minutes is still rough.

I would recommend learning keys and ear training for pitch to hear things that are out of key. It's going to be very difficult to mash things if you can't hear keys differences. It is also crucial you learn enough basic music theory to find the key the song is in (via piano or guitar) then apply what ever correction is needed.

1 star User

Post Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:57 pm

Happy Cat Disco wrote:Version 3 vocals are slightly out of key (sharp) They need to be corrected by Auto tune. The key change around 2 minutes is still rough.

I would recommend learning keys and ear training for pitch to hear things that are out of key. It's going to be very difficult to mash things if you can't hear keys differences. It is also crucial you learn enough basic music theory to find the key the song is in (via piano or guitar) then apply what ever correction is needed.

I know what key it is in, D Major for You Win Again later changes to Eb, DLBIA is C Major. I can hear the difference, Sometimes it takes awhile.

1 star User

Re: Oasis Vs. The Bee Gees My Final Mashup!

Post Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:11 pm

This is my final version and maybe my final mix for awhile, Not wasting my time with this anymore!

Re: Oasis Vs. The Bee Gees My Final Mashup!

Post Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:09 am

Version 4 gets my vote! Everything is in order now.

I pulled the track into protools and determined the vocals are +20 cents sharp but most people will not be able to tell. If you did feel like fixing it though, all you have to do is -20 cents the vocal. That is only 1/4 of a semitone lower.

1 star User

Re: (!) Oasis Vs. The Bee Gees My Final Mashup!

Post Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:32 pm

Version 5 is posted, Blah Blah Blah!

Re: (!) Oasis Vs. The Bee Gees

Post Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:23 am

Version 5 sounds the same. All good though.

PreviousNext

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>